2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
Wiki

Braufrau has kindly created the wiki for us.

We need to decide on a date, time and a theme.

Saturday arvo sometime in December. As far as themes go i reckon something suited for summer style drinking (pilsners, weizens, ESBs, APA etc etc) and if someone other than me can make something less than 7% abv that would be good! :rolleyes:

Yeast swapping seems popular so i reckon we should tee up for someone to bring along equipment to slant etc so that people like myself who keep their yeast under sterile water can contribute!

I am in the historic Adelaide Hills town of Mt Torrens - a 35 min drive from the toll gate, or a leisurely 40-45 min drive around Chain of Ponds.

Backyard is quite large so plenty of place for tents. Since it will be summer a BBQ is obligatory. If people could bring along some weird and wonderful creations for me to cremate that would be cool. DrSmurto's Ringburner chicken will be on the menu again......

And now to be controversial......

I vote for 750mL bottles only - glass or the coopers PET.

In fact, if we were organised we would each buy a box of the coopers PET bottles and keep them for swaps. No issues with over carbed beers creating a mess of cool rooms.....

Add your name to the wiki and the list here. Happy to discuss the bottle idea.....

Swappers
DrSmurto
peas_and_corn

Non swappers but attending
Braufrau

+1 for long necks, it's been that way for the past couple swaps, and I quite like it.

Theme? I don't care too much for themes personally, I would prefer it if it was a 'bring whatever', creates more variety in the case.

i shnazzed up the wiki a little. i'm up for swapping and slanting

+1 for long necks, it's been that way for the past couple swaps, and I quite like it.

Theme? I don't care too much for themes personally, I would prefer it if it was a 'bring whatever', creates more variety in the case.

It may have been an unwritten rule that longnecks are used but not everyone adhered to it in the last 2 swaps.

As for themes, summer styled drinking is open to interpretation, i was just hoping that something like your RIS isnt put in. A good beer, dont get me wrong, but not the sort of thing most people would drink on a 40C day.

As for what i will be entering..... hopefully a Landlord (assuming i get some fresh 1469 yeast in time).

I'm in.

Bulk Malt coming this week, means Bulk Beer in a few weeks time.

i got plenty of longnecks now thanks to case swap so no problems there :D

yeah i've got a few brews on hold until the bulk malt comes in. one being the hobgoblin clone that byb and drsmurto had.

I'm IN...(as if there was any question....)

I reckon Saturday the 13th of December. Not quite at the beginning, and not too close to the 'big day'. Sunday afterwards to recover with.

Please let the theme NOT be dark beers, I would really like a swap where everyone does their best to make their most drinkable lager or pale ale in keeping with the fact that it will be stinking hot by then and we'll all be primed for a long day in the sun.

I also reckon that it would be a neat idea if we all bought along one extra tallie each, so it can be opened on the day and we can have our own little tasting going on, something to build on so to speak.

I also agree with Smurto - perhaps the theme could be 'Summer Session Beers'.........the range of interpretations of this theme could be vast.......

I know that the theory of 'bring whatever' seems popular, but I for one have been inundated with HUGE dark beers that annihilate anything in their path for the last 2 swaps, and it would be nice to be able to have a few swap beers without them having to be 'night enders'. We've just had 'winter warmers', so lets step into some lighter styles as not everyone likes dark / heavy / extremely alcoholic beers - and to be honest I'm a bit sick of them. I sure as hell won't be drinking them in summer. Which means they'd sit there till around June at least, which means I'll probably never drink them (just like your case swap contribution from last Christmas P & C - still sitting in the fridge where I put it last year)
Some of you guys are good at making darks - I'm pretty sure you could manage some amazing pales......

It may have been an unwritten rule that longnecks are used but not everyone adhered to it in the last 2 swaps.

As for themes, summer styled drinking is open to interpretation, i was just hoping that something like your RIS isnt put in. A good beer, dont get me wrong, but not the sort of thing most people would drink on a 40C day.

As for what i will be entering..... hopefully a Landlord (assuming i get some fresh 1469 yeast in time).

Have you tried Dr Smurto's Golden Ale :p

BYB

My last 2 contributions have been a 4.4% bo pils and a 3.5% dark mild.... definitely agree with wayne on this one.

And something as simple and plain as a pilsner/kolsch/OB tests out your brewing skill. Cant hide anywhere. Not too mention nice and easy to drink!

Whats this golden ale you speak of BYB? Is it any good? :rolleyes:

My contribution will be a Landlord. It is 4.1% and very easy to quaff.

There will prob be a keg of golden ale on tap! I have 3 taps so feel free to bring kegs along. BYB - can you bring your temprite/miracle box setup as well?

There will prob be a keg of golden ale on tap! I have 3 taps so feel free to bring kegs along. BYB - can you bring your temprite/miracle box setup as well?

I am for the 13th like Dom. The SWAMBO will not be here on the 6th (in Darwin for 4 days so I will have kids :( ) and I would think the 20th & 27th would be to close either side of xmas? The other option would be the last Saturday in November, the 29th. Miracle box is packed.

BYB

hey DrSmurto, i can bring a keg along - probably my house saazy ale. also got a bronco faucet if you need.

I know that the theory of 'bring whatever' seems popular, but I for one have been inundated with HUGE dark beers that annihilate anything in their path for the last 2 swaps, and it would be nice to be able to have a few swap beers without them having to be 'night enders'. We've just had 'winter warmers', so lets step into some lighter styles as not everyone likes dark / heavy / extremely alcoholic beers - and to be honest I'm a bit sick of them. I sure as hell won't be drinking them in summer. Which means they'd sit there till around June at least, which means I'll probably never drink them (just like your case swap contribution from last Christmas P & C - still sitting in the fridge where I put it last year)
Some of you guys are good at making darks - I'm pretty sure you could manage some amazing pales......

I think my contribution was a foreign extra stout that time? The reason behind that contribution is that I was tweaking that recipe all winter and that was the most recent version. However, there are a couple paler recipes flying around my promash folder that I want to give a go, so there's no need to be too concerned about more blackness from myself :icon_cheers:

im in see what i can organise i have few more longnecks now so i hope ill have enough and fellas i dont brew dark beers for summer what about a big 10 % tripple or may be one of my usual lagers with heaps of kiwi hops

I am for the 13th like Dom. The SWAMBO will not be here on the 6th (in Darwin for 4 days so I will have kids :( ) and I would think the 20th & 27th would be to close either side of xmas? The other option would be the last Saturday in November, the 29th. Miracle box is packed.

BYB

Nov 29th no good for me, I'll be in QLD at their case swap :D, I was actually thinking that I would bring their case swap down to our case swap so we could all rip it to bits together :lol:, (on that note, would those who are organised enough at that stage like to contribute an extra bottle towards a case for the QLDers? - get some interstate rivalry happening?)

I am in again as well. Will have to have a think about what I am brewing for this. Not too sure yet, haven't planned that far ahead.

I just hope we don't all get sick again :p

I am for longnecks and also at this stage the 13th is fine for me.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

HK

OK - I am in - no ideas what i will be brewing....

I have a recipe for a 5% Dark Wit that I want to have a go at - but that will not be in theme.
Will IPA or American IPA be in or out....
Or i can find a Blonde recipe - Blondes always go down well :)

Not sure if i have longnecks - but will source some and coopers pet bottles.

Just to make everything clear - will this be All Grain....

Latest posts

Back