2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2Nd that Must be all grain :super: :icon_chickcheers:

hmmm, i'll also have to do a few practice decoction mashes before then too. looooove my european pilsners/lagers...

Couldnt get into the wiki but im in can someone add me please. I may not be able to get there though due to work but will try my best

For those that don't have AG equip - I am happy to have them up at the BrewInn Barossa where we can AG brew their beer.
I have all the equip - usually have all the grain & hops & yeast etc...

Just PM Me if you want to be in.

That wont guarantee better beer and BTW - cuts me out (if I hadn't opted out anyway) thankyou *very* much! :rolleyes:

My apologies. I was not meaning to segragate anyone. In regards to making better beer, I would say in my case there is a great difference. I am at a point now where if I did a blind tasting I could/may be able to tell the difference. Six months ago I would not have even thought I would be discussing the pro's and con's. There are others on this forum who are one eyed AG brewers I hope I have not come across to much as that. :huh:

BYB

No worries BYB ... I'm not swapping anyway, but I'll bring some beer and you can see if you "go crash down with vegie extract poisoning" when you taste it. :)

We've discussed this before - it's got nothing to do with taste, it has to do with being able to compare apples with apples, and the fact that some of us have put hours worth of work into making the beer from scratch in the AG method, and not had Coopers/Coles etc do it for us. We'd probably enjoy being showed the respect of being given some beer in exchange for ours that just as much work and effort has gone into, and we can compare in terms of method and ingredients with our own. I believe that is the intention of the whole shebang.

No-one really has much of an excuse not to make an effort as there are plenty of people including myself or GMK and many others who will/have put their hands up to make the gear/knowledge and time available if someone needs some help.

Not wanting to offend anyone least of all you Brafrau, but I for one am not ashamed of the fact that I would MUCH rather have AG beers in exchange for mine. Partials, OK whatever. Full extract? Nope.

So Mr Extract Brewer - please don't bottle any for me. It might taste fine, but as far as I'm concerned, you didn't make it and I want to have your contribution thanks.

HI. MY NAME IS WAYNE & I BELIEVE AG BEERS ARE SUPERIOR, IN BOTH TERMS OF OVERALL QUALITY AND PERSONAL SATISFACTION.

Paint me black and call me a coal shovel, but that's the way it is for me and I make no apologies for it. nya nya nya nyah nya :D

We've discussed this before - it's got nothing to do with taste, it has to do with being able to compare apples with apples, and the fact that some of us have put hours worth of work into making the beer from scratch in the AG method

Paint me black and call me a coal shovel, but that's the way it is for me and I make no apologies for it. nya nya nya nyah nya :D

Oi! It takes me just as long to make my beer as it does yours!

Nyah nyah! Plllluuurrrrppp! So there! :)

Oh look ... I'm being silly ... If I really wanted to play ball with you guys I could do a 20l AG .. I think.

.ie no pre-hopped extracts used, and grain must be over a certain percentage, say 50% of the total fermentables. But hey, thats me. As I said, I was going grain anyway.

Well that seems fair .. where my definition of fair is it wouldn't rule me out! :)

Or .. we you could submit beers for judging and only those which acheive a minimum # of points can swap! :lol:

Oh look ... I'm being silly ... If I really wanted to play ball with you guys I could do a 20l AG .. I think.

Braufrau, from what I remember of the 2007 Xmas case swap, your partial got better feedback than some of the AG beers... I for one would rather drink something that tasted great than choose something because of the method of production.

A crap tasting AG beer is still a crap beer. :unsure: And before anyone jumps on me, yes, many of my AG beers have been awful, so I'm also having a go at myself here too.

Or.. we you could submit beers for judging and only those which acheive a minimum # of points can swap! :lol:

Not a totally silly idea... :ph34r:

Or come and use the Darebin Street Brewery next time HWMBO is down doing his wurst.

I think I will have to get involved this year. I hear mostly good things about previous case-swaps (except for the hangover woes and the odd case of ring-burn!). I have no problems with the 'Summer Quaffer' theme and long-neck requirement. There's still many good beers to make that are in keeping with this theme. I'm thinking perhaps a steam beer or a cream ale, or maybe a wheaty lager.

Being my first time, can someone give me a (very) quick rundown on how its done, protocols etc?

I wouldn't mind a '20 words or less' brief on the protocols either, having not attended before. As I understand it, you make as many long-necks as there are people involved. You go there with a box of the same beer and some food, and come home with a box of all different beers and a hangover.......Is there an official swapping ceremony or anything? Is there a mantra we chant as we exchange a bottle with each attendee? :lol:

I wouldn't mind a '20 words or less' brief on the protocols either, having not attended before. As I understand it, you make as many long-necks as there are people involved. You go there with a box of the same beer and some food, and come home with a box of all different beers and a hangover.......Is there an official swapping ceremony or anything? Is there a mantra we chant as we exchange a bottle with each attendee? :lol:

you seemed to have summed it up well.

arrive, piss piss food piss piss CASE SWAPPAGE piss piss piss piss piss piss pink appendages piss piss zzzzzzzz ouchy heads bacon!

While the above is a better description of the overall outing... the actual swapping can be described as so:

-------------
For a basis of 24 people...

Each swapper brings 24 bottles of beer, puts their case in the line of other cases.

Each swapper takes 23 bottles of beer out of their case and puts 1 in each other case.

Each case SHOULD have 24 different beers, including one of their own.
-------------

I think it's a good idea to bring an extra couple of bottles of the swap beer (if it's ready) to chill and drink on the day... not that many will remember it!

If you think you'll be bringing enough beer, put more in the esky.

If you think you'll be bringing enough beer, put more in the esky.

hehe yeah, DrSmurto thought he'd still have stuff left in his keg... how very wrong he was :D

Latest posts

Back