2008 Nsw Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been giving it some thought a work today (have nothing else to think about...), and i'm thinking of either submitting my Dark Horse Schwarzbier i've got in secondary, or doing a nice hearty Weizenbock.

Or I may end up doing something completely different altogether...I'll just brew a number of batches :p

I did a bit of thinking today too.

Really keen to make the sheep shagger again but the sheer fact that its been done before is messing with my head. I jusy really have trouble not making something new each time i brew.

Been working on a recipe for a Rye beer made with a Belgian yeast........ 50% rye, 20% dark wheat, 20% pils, 5% crystal rye, some caraaroma and a tad of chocolate wheat....... remainder is made up with the rye and wheat.

mmmmm will think on it some more

cheers

I am thinking I might have a go at an American Stout. Inspired by Rogue Shakespear Stout

Apparently it has ~30% of the grist as specialty grain and 70 IBU. I have not brewed a beer with that much specialty grain or that many IBU. Very tempting

Either that or I have over 3kg of homemade amber/dark Belgian candi sugar that I can throw in something.

So many choices

Kabooby :)

I'm going to make a Wee Heavy/Irish Red hybrid

Red Wee Heavy? :blink:

OK, I have added my name - just need to work out the logistics of getting some bottles, shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

Now what to brew....

1. Josh
2. DK - McDK's Scottish 80/- - 9C. Scottish Export 80/- -
3. Stuster
4. Fatgodzilla
5. nifty
6. monkeybusiness
7. DiscoStu
8. jonw
9. Grantw
10. Cortez The Killer
11. Crozdog
12. Schooey
13. Kabooby
14. Retsamhsam
15. Thommo
16. Muggus - Schwarzbier or Weizenbock... the tough decisions in life!
17. Tony - The Sheep Shagger II (hope you like hops!!!)
18. Insight
19. Gulpa
20. Redb
21. Steve - Tonys EKG Bitter with my own twist
22. Beer Slayer
23. Homebrewworld
24. Hewy

Phew, just scraped in.

1. Josh
2. DK - McDK's Scottish 80/- - 9C. Scottish Export 80/- -
3. Stuster
4. Fatgodzilla
5. nifty
6. monkeybusiness
7. DiscoStu
8. jonw
9. Grantw
10. Cortez The Killer
11. Crozdog
12. Schooey
13. Kabooby
14. Retsamhsam
15. Thommo
16. Muggus - Schwarzbier or Weizenbock... the tough decisions in life!
17. Tony - The Sheep Shagger II (hope you like hops!!!)
18. Insight
19. Gulpa
20. Redb
21. Steve - Tonys EKG Bitter with my own twist
22. Beer Slayer
23. Homebrewworld
24. Hewy
25. PoMo

Got to ask, any reason for not allowing PET this time around?
I've still have not got a bottle capper, but do have heaps of PET bottles that need to be used! B)

Cheers
DK

I think it is because people who submit glass don't really want to get plastic back in return.

When I say people I mean me :p

+1 for no plastic if you can avoid it. If you have no other option then to me the beer is more important than its container. I'll just give the plastic empties to friends who bottle in plastic.

Must say though that I believe in the whole do unto others thing. ie I would like to receive back 28 glass crown seals so I started out giving out only glass crown seals. After getting a variety in the last couple of case swaps (even champagne bottles in IBU swap -what the hell am I supposed to do with those Ray? :rolleyes: ) I have relented to not being concerned about twist tops or crowns. not that I'm bitter or anything.... :p

OK, I have added my name - just need to work out the logistics of getting some bottles, shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

24. Hewy
Hewy, I am in Orchard Hills and have stacks of bottles I'm looking to get rid of.

PM me if you're interested.

Can probably help out anyone else looking for bottles but it really needs to be this weekend or they go in the recycle bin... moving house this weekend.

Hewy, I am in Orchard Hills and have stacks of bottles I'm looking to get rid of.

PM me if you're interested.

Can probably help out anyone else looking for bottles but it really needs to be this weekend or they go in the recycle bin... moving house this weekend.

PM sent.

If I read it right, the Queensland case swap must be in the dark plastic bottles ! To each there own. Like Monkeybusiness, I don't care what they are in, just as long as the beer is good !!!

PS all my bottles will be twist top long necks.

PPS .. can I get my two bobs worth in and say NO LATE WITHDRAWALS from this swap. I will not accept excuses such as "just bottled beer but it has an infection so can't go in it !" in last weeks before the swap. If I am going to drive 700 kilometres in a day to get my beer to a swap and home again, I want to return with 27 bottles from 27 brewers.

Brew your beer REAL SOON. If its shithouse, you'll have plenty of time to put another brew in way before the due date. I did just that last swap, rejecting two brews as inferior for the swap before submitting my final entry.

And yes, I made myself the new case swap beer nazi and I will not accept any excuses. :angry:

I am thinking I might have a go at an American Stout. Inspired by Rogue Shakespear Stout

Apparently it has ~30% of the grist as specialty grain and 70 IBU. I have not brewed a beer with that much specialty grain or that many IBU. Very tempting

Either that or I have over 3kg of homemade amber/dark Belgian candi sugar that I can throw in something.

So many choices

Shakespeare stout is probably the best stout I've ever tasted, so great choice! I don't believe that it's 70 IBU, though. If it is, it handles it pretty well.

From there website

Style: American Stout
Food Pairing: Beef, Desserts
Tasting Notes:
Ebony in color with a rich creamy head, earthy flavor and
a mellow, chocolate finish.
Ingredients: Northwest Harrington & Klages, Crystal 135-165 & Beeston Chocolate Malts, Rolled Oats & Roasted Barley. Cascade Hops Rogue s Proprietary Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs:
15 PLATO
69 IBU
77 AA
135 Lovibond

It gets balanced by the 30% of specialty malt

I am going to try it, just maybe not for the xmas case

Wow. Well, like I said, it certainly doesn't come across as that bitter. Fantastic beer, though. Their Mocha Porter and US Barleywine (Old Crutacean) are also great.

Brew your beer REAL SOON. If its shithouse, you'll have plenty of time to put another brew in way before the due date. I did just that last swap, rejecting two brews as inferior for the swap before submitting my final entry.

And yes, I made myself the new case swap beer nazi and I will not accept any excuses. :angry:

Sets the bar nice and high for those of us who are first timers in a swap, are you going to come round and beat the sh1t out of me if you don't like my entry :unsure:

Have you seen fatgodzlla? You should be scared. :ph34r:

I had the same quality concerns last case when calls for good beer were made. I'll reiterate the general consensus from last time which is: just do your best.

If people are here and are taking the effort to research and get involved in case swaps they are probably making pretty good beer already so yours should be no exception. Sure some beers and brewers are better than others but this is the beauty of case swaps.

Of course if it's infected that's another story....

(mind you, I've managed to even learn a bit from the occasional infected/funny tasting beers I've had in swaps so there is good in everything)

Back