2008 Nsw Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuster, sorry to put the pressure on you, but as the godfather of the NSW case swap, you get final say.

:lol:

I think Denistone East shouldn't really be harder to get to than Guildford.

Actually, I vote it's Josh's call. He started the thread and held the swap last time. So Josh, what do you think? Your place or barls? ;)

:lol:

I think Denistone East shouldn't really be harder to get to than Guildford.

Actually, I vote it's Josh's call. He started the thread and held the swap last time. So Josh, what do you think? Your place or barls? ;)
Barls' sounds good to me. I only offered the backyard cos noone had put their hand up yet.

6th December as has been mentioned previously is good for me, apart from the fact that I'll be feeling decidedly second rate after the work xmas party on the Friday night. But that's to be expected at that time of year.

Ok. Place fixed as Barls' place, Denistone East. I'll put that in the wiki now.

For all those who've put up no info yet, I'm hoping you're just keeping it secret. One month today so time is getting shorter. :party:

Ok. Place fixed as Barls' place, Denistone East. I'll put that in the wiki now.

For all those who've put up no info yet, I'm hoping you're just keeping it secret. One month today so time is getting shorter. :party:
Beauty...up in my neck of the woods! B)

Sounds good, biggup to Barls for volunteering!

One month today so time is getting shorter.

Stuster .. taken my job as the self appointed beer nazi !!

Barls sounds good. Now, if only I can brew something worthy of entry .. discovered my problem has been water ! Or more correctly, what the local shire has added to my water. We are still pretty much in drought down here, so our tap water is poor quality and needs heaps of chemicals to treat it. Whatever they have added hates home brew. I have tipped my last FIVE brews out - each tastes like a slight medicinal flavour (but not the full bandaids - I know what they taste like). The flavour worsens with time. I've just done an experimental brew with rain water - no problems !! For the record, it's worse with malty (less hoppy) beers - and of course I made FOUR malty styles (scottish ales, irish red ales and porter). I also made a K & K for a mate which is undrinkable.

So I'm back in the brewing game.

FGZ, sounds like they're adding chloramines. They aren't lost by boiling or leaving the water out as you can do with other chloride additives. The best way to get rid of them is to add some campden tablets. The LHBS should have some, or should know where to get it. Put it in the water and leave it overnight before using it.

Or it might be an infection. I've recently had one with that band-aid taste I loathe. Not too strong, but I know it's an infection. Time to dump that batch. :icon_vomit:

FGZ, sounds like they're adding chloramines. They aren't lost by boiling or leaving the water out as you can do with other chloride additives. The best way to get rid of them is to add some campden tablets. The LHBS should have some, or should know where to get it. Put it in the water and leave it overnight before using it.

Or it might be an infection. I've recently had one with that band-aid taste I loathe. Not too strong, but I know it's an infection. Time to dump that batch. :icon_vomit:

Yes, fairly certain it's the cloramines and not just chlorine / chloride. Read about the campden tablet trick after reading Palmer (all fired up after ANHC ! and actually buying the book rather than trying to digest the on line version) and reading the Jim's Kit site in UK. Decided to only use rainwater tank from now on as want to make APAs and this water should suit. Happy its not an infection as used different fermenters and different cleaning / sterilising regimes. The taste isn't REAL bad (nor that revolting bandaid results that I've been way too friendly with) - it's just obviously not right. I'll bring a bottle to Barls for a quick BJCP session.

Denistone East sounds very exotic - the cultural capital of the Ryde area I'm told. I'll bring the kangaroo meat sausages to the bbq to have with the cucumber sandwiches.

Denistone East sounds very exotic - the cultural capital of the Ryde area I'm told. I'll bring the kangaroo meat sausages to the bbq to have with the cucumber sandwiches.

And the home of the Granny Smith apple apparently. :)

id like to put forward that it swmbo was the one we should thank as she iss the one being kind to let us having it here

I dont see brewing or beer mentioned here?

cheers

PantsWearer.jpg

but not having the second last one there isnt mcuh brewing happening.

Hey better that than the last one!

That would be bad!

cheers

Keeping a low profile so FGZ doesn't jump on me - I know how big he is! B)

Hey better that than the last one!

That would be bad!

cheers
damn right look forward to seeing you all at my place, will try to have something decent on tap

Bottled mine today. What a chore :(

Some of the bottles have a bit of head space from being carbed in the keg and counter pressure filled. I would try and add a bit more beer but it would just release the C02 in the beer and foam up. Anyway what you lose at the top you gain at the bottom, there will be no yeast sediment so you can use the whole bottle ;)

Hope you like it. I know I do, makes it hard to give away.

Kabooby :)

Keeping a low profile so FGZ doesn't jump on me - I know how big he is! B)

:icon_offtopic:

I thought I was casting a smaller shadow ... till I went into the light !

Crozdog, you are probably well in advance of me. As previously stated, I've had a run of poor beers. Have 40l of rainwater which I'll use tomorrow and see if it was the overtreated town water supply that was the fault. If not, then I have several last minute alternatives.

1. Fresh Wort kit
2. Buy several boxes of Coopers stout, soak off label and replace lids.
3. Cobble together 28 bottles from my cellar library.

I'll also be back to square one as to why my last brews all have suffered similiar fates. I have used different fermenters, mash tuns, cleaning regimes and read the entrials of several slaughtered chickens and still it persists. Even the straight K & K I made that didn't touch my boiler had the same fate, so that ruled the keggle out. Only common denominators is me and the water, so naturally I'll blame the water. I'm not hard to replace - a baby rhino was born in Sydney Zoo recently that looks a close substitute.

IBUs - who will drive themselves to Sydney and who wants a lift? Room in the Falcon wagon for all 5 of us if you don't mind a squeeze, anyone definitely not able to come to Sydney on the 6th ?

:icon_offtopic:

I thought I was casting a smaller shadow ... till I went into the light !

Crozdog, you are probably well in advance of me. As previously stated, I've had a run of poor beers. Have 40l of rainwater which I'll use tomorrow and see if it was the overtreated town water supply that was the fault. If not, then I have several last minute alternatives.

1. Fresh Wort kit
2. Buy several boxes of Coopers stout, soak off label and replace lids.
3. Cobble together 28 bottles from my cellar library.

I'll also be back to square one as to why my last brews all have suffered similiar fates. I have used different fermenters, mash tuns, cleaning regimes and read the entrials of several slaughtered chickens and still it persists. Even the straight K & K I made that didn't touch my boiler had the same fate, so that ruled the keggle out. Only common denominators is me and the water, so naturally I'll blame the water. I'm not hard to replace - a baby rhino was born in Sydney Zoo recently that looks a close substitute.
Mate! You're starting to sound like Tony!
This caseswap seems to have caused more damage than good to fellow NSW brewers.

Real shame to hear about the bad luck with the beers though. I've enjoyed your beers from the last two swaps, and it'd be shame to see you submit something that isn't up to the same standards.

...though I do enjoy the odd Coopers stout...

just put the bottles out to soak as they have been under a house before i got them. planning on bottling on the weekend so we shall see

Back