2008 Castle Hill Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, thanks for that Tseay, good news - it's just that some comps put a limit on number of entries per class and style, normally 2 and 1 respectively, so if you've got a Pale Ale category and it includes IPA, APA and OZPA you really have to choose what to send, or if there's an IPA Class/Cat and then split into styles of UK, US and say Imperial then you'd be limited to only one UK IPA...all the comps seem to quite different when it comes to entries per Class and style as well as the actual groupings per class and style.

Cheers!

Chris, can I just confirm a couple of things.

First, is the judging only on Sunday 19th? Any idea what time it should kick off?

And second, the class summary includes number 20 - Other BJCP categories. Does that mean that any other beers that are in the remaining BJCP categories can be entered in this class? Does this also include ciders and meads or just beers? :)

I dropped my entries off on the weekend and had two specialties in there #23, hope that is okay. :eek:

Chris, can I just confirm a couple of things.

First, is the judging only on Sunday 19th? Any idea what time it should kick off?

And second, the class summary includes number 20 - Other BJCP categories. Does that mean that any other beers that are in the remaining BJCP categories can be entered in this class? Does this also include ciders and meads or just beers? :)

Hi Stu,

At this stage judging is scheduled for the Sunday only, I've been away until late last week and dont know what the entry tally is. If the number of entries demand it we could run some judging on Saturday, but Sunday will be the main day for both Cheese and Beer. We expect to start at 10 am but I will get Justin to confirm. If you have a beer entry that is not detailed on the BJCP list, please enter it under the 20- Other BJCP . If there is a BJCP spec available, we'll judge anything. The proviso being that we will not make an award in a specific category/sub-category if there are less than 3 entries, but the entry will still qualify for best best in show etc. We will be judging beer only. We thought about mead last time but Andrew Walsh is the only person who I know in the country who has mead judging experience and he is a long way from Castle Hill, so we limit the comp to beer.

Cheers

Chris

Fair enough. Will definitely be there on the Sunday. Makes sense about limiting it to beer. I was hoping to enter a braggot in a comp but it seems it has to live a lonely life in my shed. :rolleyes:

Submitted my entries to my LHBS.
Very excited, being my first comp and all.
Looking forward to seeing how they go.

Just out of interest, not that I submitted one in this comp, but if I were to submit an "Imperial" pilsner of sorts, would it be best to submit that under something like Catagory 20?
Considering it isn't a recognised style, and all that...

Yeh, an Imperial Pilsner should go in that catch all category. Maybe you should make one for the Xmas case and we can judge it then. :icon_drunk:

Yeh, an Imperial Pilsner should go in that catch all category. Maybe you should make one for the Xmas case and we can judge it then. :icon_drunk:
Made one a couple of months ago, but I bottled it in mostly 330ml bottles.
Might have to bring some along on the swap day for some 'sampling' instead. :party:

Going to drop off 3 entries to northern brewer in wollongong on my way to work today.. unfortunately i went away for holidays recently and when i got back my cheese entries, well long story short im not interested in poisoning anyone ;) so no cheese entry.. next year for sure!

Submitted my entries to my LHBS.
Very excited, being my first comp and all.
Looking forward to seeing how they go.

Just out of interest, not that I submitted one in this comp, but if I were to submit an "Imperial" pilsner of sorts, would it be best to submit that under something like Catagory 20?
Considering it isn't a recognised style, and all that...

Just a thought, it depends on how "imperial " your Imperial Pilsener is. The New BJCP spec for Classic Imperial Pilsener goes to 40 IBUs and 6% alcohol. Suggest you check out the BJCP web site and see if your beer falls close to the spec.

Cheers

Just a thought, it depends on how "imperial " your Imperial Pilsener is. The New BJCP spec for Classic Imperial Pilsener goes to 40 IBUs and 6% alcohol. Suggest you check out the BJCP web site and see if your beer falls close to the spec.

Cheers
Yeah, I took a look at that and thought it would probably be closest to what I have.

The style seems to call for some 'corn-adjunct' character, which I don't have. With my beer being up around 10% and 60IBU, it's probably a bit too imperial also! :blink:
I stuck with more 'normal' entries instead. :icon_cheers:

Many thanks to all who entered and who have offered to help out.

We have had something like a 75% increase in entries over the previous comp which has put pressure on resources. We will now judge over two days. There has been a change in the style mix submitted this year with a reduced proportion of English and Irish styles but a heap of more complex Euro styles.

Thanks again

Hope the comp went well by all accounts,

Any idea when results will be out?

Beautiful day for a brewing comp and not too bad drinking weather either :party:

Cheers,

TS

Chris said the results should be out in a couple of days. There were more entries than they were expecting but judging all got finished today.

It was a bit hot for judging big stouts today in fact. A RIS in 30C is not quite right. :p

Chris said the results should be out in a couple of days. There were more entries than they were expecting but judging all got finished today.

It was a bit hot for judging big stouts today in fact. A RIS in 30C is not quite right. :p

A bit hot for stouts you say, well hopefully my Wit went down a treat. Perfect beer for a warm day, but we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers for the update Stuster :beer:

TS

Many thanks to all who helped with the judging and lead up to the comp. To name a few:

The ISB boys; Stuart, Gavin and Craig, Joe and Gary (HomeBrewWorld)
The HBG team: Justin, Pete S, Randall, Glenn, Pete M and Jazza and Brett who helped in the lead up.
Professional Brewers: Matt (St. Peters Brewery), Alan (Paddies Brewery) and Damon (Lord Nelson).
SWMBO: Rhonda who acted as part-time fridge Nazi and nerve centre controller.

My apologies if Ive left anyone of the list.

Our next steps are to validate the results, run the macros etc and we will post up a winners summary in the next couple of days. The Show Society is mailing out the judging forms this week. I will be in touch with those whose beers have made it into the Australia v Canada comp in the next couple of days. All agreed that the quality of this years entries was outstanding, so congratulations and thanks to all who entered.

Chris

Many thanks to all who helped with the judging and lead up to the comp. To name a few:

The ISB boys; Stuart, Gavin and Craig, Joe and Gary (HomeBrewWorld)
The HBG team: Justin, Pete S, Randall, Glenn, Pete M and Jazza and Brett who helped in the lead up.
Professional Brewers: Matt (St. Peters Brewery), Alan (Paddies Brewery) and Damon (Lord Nelson).
SWMBO: Rhonda who acted as part-time fridge Nazi and nerve centre controller.

My apologies if Ive left anyone of the list.

Our next steps are to validate the results, run the macros etc and we will post up a winners summary in the next couple of days. The Show Society is mailing out the judging forms this week. I will be in touch with those whose beers have made it into the Australia v Canada comp in the next couple of days. All agreed that the quality of this years entries was outstanding, so congratulations and thanks to all who entered.

Chris

And thanks to you for taking the lead in organising and running the event!

Thanks Chris

Thanks to you and Justin for running another well run comp. I had a great couple of days.
I think a special thanks should go to the lovely lady there who orgiansied a lovely lunch.
She kept us topped with water and crackers. Pass on my thanks.
See you all at the next one.
Cheers
Joe

Thanks Chris

Thanks to you and Justin for running another well run comp. I had a great couple of days.
I think a special thanks should go to the lovely lady there who organised a lovely lunch.
She kept us topped with water and crackers. Pass on my thanks.
See you all at the next one.

Exactly. Thanks for getting this off the ground again, Chris. :icon_cheers:

There really was a high standard of entries and thanks for laying on more than some a few sausages. :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back