2008 Castle Hill Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tseay

Reaction score
Folks,

The 2008 Castle Hill Agricultural Society brewing Championship will proceed. It will be held on Sunday October 19th. Whilst we are still working on some aspects of the entry form and arrangements, I have attached a pdf of the style listing for the open ie non kit section of the comp, so those who wish to enter can begin planning.

This years comp will consist of three streams:

Beer and Cheese: Given the growing popularity of cheese making amongst home brewers we will running a comp that will allow brewers/cheese makers to submit a beer and a cheese (Camembert at this stage). We will also accept joint entries; this will enable cheese makers to team up with a brewer and vice versa. The cheeses and beers will be judged in their own right and then they will be judged as to how well they match each other.

We have secured the services of an eminent cheese judge who supervises the cheese comps at the RAS and the beer and cheese matching will be judged by the Simon Beveridge, Beer Sommelier and Restaurant manager from Redaok.

Kit and Clone Comp: We are working with the sponsor of this section to complete details on beers to be matched.

Open Brewing Section: The detail of beers that may be submitted is detailed in the attached file. The judging panels will be joined by professional brewers, David Holyoak (Redoak), Damon Nott (Lord Nelson), Kevin ONeil(Snowy Mountains) and the very popular Sam Fuss ( Schwartz Brewery at the Macquarie Hotel).

You are more than welcome to get involved in the comp in judging/stewarding etc roles and if you have any queries please pm me.

We will post the complete entry details once final details have been worked out.

Cheers

Tseay

View attachment 2008_show_beer_styles.pdf

hey, looks good!

the way i read it am i right in understanding in the cheese section the only category is camembert?

cheers :)

Great to see this one up and running again. Will hope to enter something. :)

hey, looks good!

the way i read it am i right in understanding in the cheese section the only category is camembert?

cheers :)

Capretta

We chose camembert, because that appeared to be the first cheese kit that was on offer. and people had experience with Happy to consider other cheese types if the demand is there.

Let me know if you think other types should be considered (soon) and I'll refer it on to our judge.

The following criteria will be used for camembert judging:

1.Overall appearance and workmanship showing good white mould cover.
2.Cheese aroma showing good clean smell and no off odours.
3.Clean creamy flavour on cutting with a pleasant taste that has a typical soft correctly matured body and texture and should not be too firm.
4.Both the outer skin and the centre of the Cheese will be tasted to judge the total cheese.
The cheeses will be judged at 10-12 degrees centigrade.

Cheers

T

Capretta

We chose camembert, because that appeared to be the first cheese kit that was on offer. and people had experience with Happy to consider other cheese types if the demand is there.

Let me know if you think other types should be considered (soon) and I'll refer it on to our judge.

T

hi , thanks, no it wasnt a critisism, just for clarification.. i think a narrow focus is better for both practicalities of judging and also it helps people focus their efforts often leading to a more satisfactory result all round (judging fairness, quality of entries and prestige of result, no use coming first when you are the only entrant in the "goat blue camembert washed rind kosher" category.
good on ya for giving it a bash! im very interested..

hi , thanks, no it wasnt a critisism, just for clarification.. i think a narrow focus is better for both practicalities of judging and also it helps people focus their efforts often leading to a more satisfactory result all round (judging fairness, quality of entries and prestige of result, no use coming first when you are the only entrant in the "goat blue camembert washed rind kosher" category.
good on ya for giving it a bash! im very interested..

Hi,

Understand that you were only seeking clarification. On a separate point, one of the things we are working on is suitable drop off points for cheese entries. easier in Sydney than elsewhere. If there are any other potential cheese makers outside the Sydney metro area wishing to enter, would you please post here or pm me so we can see how best to get you into the comp.

Cheers

T

Just confirming, my calendar has the 18th as a Saturday.

Will the comp be Saturday 18th, or Sunday 19th of October

Cheers
Josh

I have uploaded the entry form and brochure below. If you want to get an overview of the comp, I suggest that you review the brochure first. Packs of brochures, entry forms etc have been mailed to entry collection points and will be available form other websites in due course.

Cheers

hey, what is the requirement for cheese entries regarding size? do you need a full wheel? 100gms?
wouldnt want to send you a 3kg wheel if you are only going to throw it out ;)

hey, what is the requirement for cheese entries regarding size? do you need a full wheel? 100gms?
wouldnt want to send you a 3kg wheel if you are only going to throw it out ;)

I am advised that in the first instance we need a whole cheese ( not a slice of cheese), with a minmum size of around 200-250g. Ideally the judges would like two cheeses but we can get away with one. I'll put a cheese FAQ together- so please advise any additional questions. We are reying on the expertise of others here so please let me know if there are any other issues that need covering off.

Cheers

Oooo nice and a local. Sounds like good fun. Always thought about entering one of these comps too...

Hi - is there a limit to the number of entries per class and per style? I can't find any reference to it in the Entry Form.

Cheers,
Greg

Greg that will be fine. If you want to submit more than one entry into a specific sub-category eg Dortmunder, just make sure that each entry is identified separately eg entry a,b, c etc so they are not treated as multiple bottles of the same entry.

Hi - is there a limit to the number of entries per class and per style? I can't find any reference to it in the Entry Form.

Cheers,
Greg

Latest posts

Back