2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday All

How are all the Perth Hops going, mine seen to be struggling a bit.Not sure if its the weather or me.

Cheers Aspro

Bloke, my Nugget is coming alone nicely :) . I planted the rhisome in late Sept and is probably about 7 or 8' high/ long and is probably growing 3-4 inchs a day at the moment. Piccy's soon :) .
Cheers
Doug

Holy Crap Doug thats fast ,mine might need a bit more TLC then.

Cheers Aspro

My Tettnanger & POR which are in their second year in the ground (no flowers first year) are finally starting to make some remarkable growth.

This year i got Perle, Columbus and Goldings. All into pots.

Silverwater Goldings has died. RIP.

Columbus in the last few days has taken off (seasol is good stuff) and is about 1.5 meters high.

Perle has brought his a-game. In a short filled pot, has grown with many bines and the main bine is now prolly 2.5-3 meters long (up and then along a wire).

Will take some pics when it stops raining.

Might finally get my first home grown hops into a batch :)

Bloke, my Nugget is coming alone nicely :) . I planted the rhisome in late Sept and is probably about 7 or 8' high/ long and is probably growing 3-4 inchs a day at the moment. Piccy's soon :) .
Cheers
Doug
Hops.jpg

Gday All

How are all the Perth Hops going, mine seen to be struggling a bit.Not sure if its the weather or me.

Cheers Aspro

Hi Aspro, this is what is happening in Rosabrook at my mates veggie patch,

we dont know the variety, if someone can help out that would be great.

just chicken poo and water ....

cheers amita

keg_038.JPG

keg_039.JPG

keg_040.JPG

hops_003.jpg

Thats a massif POR I reckon. Exact same leaves as mine.
Cheers
Steve

Thats a massif POR I reckon. Exact same leaves as mine.
Cheers
Steve

forgive the ignorance but what does POR stand for and what do I compare it with ,where does it originate and what are its main qualities?

cheers amita

forgive the ignorance but what does POR stand for and what do I compare it with ,where does it originate and what are its main qualities?

cheers amita

Pride of Ringwood, Origin...no idea, mainly used in aussie ales as well as some of the well known commercial beers. Search for POR and you will get lots of ideas for its uses. Some good, some bad. I use my own POR along with cluster a few times for aussie type AG ales.
Cheers
Steve

Hey

Nice pics Doug and amita ,I will be raiding the chook shed tonight for some poo, and putting a drip system in I think cause the sprayers dont do much.

Cheers Aspro

Hi fellow hopsters.

Just couldn't resist putting up some photos of my new babies. Planted these rhizomes in the North Adelaide ground late september 2007. The one on the left is chinook, middle is goldings and right is tettnanger. This is my first hop growing experience and have loved it so far.

November 1st 2007: The goldings (the biggest rhizome planted) has absolutely taken off. I;m supporting 4 bines (two up each string). The chinook on the left and the tettnanger are both starting off slow.
06112007555.jpg

December 1st 2007: The chinook has been the suprise package this month. Only one bine really took hold and has shot past the goldings. Both are now the length of the horizontal strings. The chinook has small flowers starting to form. 3 tettnanger bines are almost fence high now but no sign of flowers yet.
05122007589.jpg 05122007591.jpg

December 14th 2007: Went outside this morning to be greeted by some nice looking chinook cones. The golding is starting to flower too. Tettnanger is still lagging with no sign of flowers. Bine growth of the chinook and goldings seem to have stopped.
14122007597.jpg 14122007598.jpg

Cant wait to use some in a brew.

The Chinook now has cones :D and growing faster then any weed [any weed that is :lol: ] photos to follow.
Also 2 of my 4 cuttings are growing.

edit: 3 years on the forum tomorrow [I did read every post for months before signing up] off topic, sorry.

Well after a week of being dug up and stuck in a pot due to moving house my 4 year old POR is bloody sprouting. Honestly you cant kill these with a stick. Very happy!
Cheers
steve

I've just spotted flowers on mine today :) . Didn't expect any yield for this first year so am very appy.

I have some of those green catapillers having a go at my hops, so I have trained a Magpie to help. Now every time I go near the hop plant he wanders down to see if I will throw him a feed!
I will post some pics soon as these are now getting close to 20ft.
Cheers
Gerard

geez gerard, what form of roman engineering did you use to build them up so high.

Latest posts

Back