2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder...Is it too late to plant now? I would really like to get a hop plant going...even 2 or 3. Or does anyone in Melb. have a plant forsale??

maltaddict,
I took some tip cutting the other week but they are no looking too healthy and I think I may have left it a little late in the season for them to grow roots.
Best to get the dormant roots in winter and plant them at the end of winter.

My plants still continue to be harassed by what I believe to be slugs and spider mites. Very frustrating! Poor buggers are still struggling to get off the ground :(

Maybe you could build some little ladders for them or even just lift them up onto the leaves........

:D

Sorry. Pest problems are not a funny matter :(

He could also do what i did, throw my organic gardening principles to the wind, say "#@#$@## IT" in disgust after seeing what the latest round of pests did to all of the plants in the garden - and get nasty with 'Rhodor'(pesticide) and some fungicide. Not a hell of a lot happening pest or mildew wise in the garden now.....yet it doesn't even cause the earwigs to blink... :huh: I looked up what i would have to use on the earwigs(carbaryl), and I just plain refuse to. There's pesticides, and then there's 'are you #$@##@ nuts?!?!...' So I've taken to physical removal with the earwigs. I put rolled up bits of corrugated cardboard all over the place, they hide in it and you take them away and burn/drown them. Yep....it's medieval mixed with modern chemical warfare....now I'm starting to get veges out of the garden again, and the hops are starting to recover from spidermite and what looked like the beginnings of mildew.....

For mildew, try to encourage 'lady bettles/lady birds/lady bugs' into your garden - specfically the yellow ones. They love eating mildew off leaves.

A good plant for attracting them is Dill, maybe plant some near your affected areas Domonsura?

I put rolled up bits of corrugated cardboard all over the place, they hide in it and you take them away and burn/drown them. Yep....it's medieval mixed with modern chemical warfare....now I'm starting to get veges out of the garden again, and the hops are starting to recover from spidermite and what looked like the beginnings of mildew.....

When I used to have a worm farm the earwigs would hide in teh newspaper I covered the top with.
I'd periodically shake the paper out for the chooks who would go berserk for them.
Maybe you need some chooks. :)

When I used to have a worm farm the earwigs would hide in teh newspaper I covered the top with.
I'd periodically shake the paper out for the chooks who would go berserk for them.
Maybe you need some chooks. :)

Surely there is a 'Feedin The Chooks' joke in there somewhere :lol: :lol:

NickB is the resident Chook expert I believe :ph34r:

I used to have chooks, I loved it - fresh eggs etc, but they woudn't be practical here in suburbia on our little lot. Too much else for them to get into...and I've never trusted them in the garden around my other plants, they can be worse then the original problem if they discover something they like....

Might have to try planting some dill anyway, I knew I was missing something important... I need a bigger garden....:blink:

My earwig problem seems to have stopped, or at the very least, reduced.

I took the organic approach as my garden is right next to a creek and dug holes which i placed pots in and filled up with screwed up newspaper. In theory i should take them out each morning and shake the earwigs into a bucket of boiling water but the resident blackbirds have clued up and pull the newspaper out and get an easy feed. I then put the newspaper back in the pots and repeat. Dill. A herb i dont have. Got a few spare places in the garden i could fill with dill.

Carbaryl was recommended to me by my local hardware/fodder store. They told me it was 'close to organic'. WTF??!! Nuclear warfare is more organic than that shit. It kills just about everything.

And some good news, my cluster plant is alive. I thought when i cut it back after discussions here about nettling that it would never come back to life but in the last week new shoots have emerged. And i have noticed 2 little leaves poking thru on my cascade. The 2 goldings are however, still asleep on the job.....

Hi all,
I scored some hops seeds from ebay and was just wondering if it would be to late to be planting them now.

I reckon you'd be able to get them started, but you'd need to protect them from the heat and keep them moist. I reckon you'd want a little propagating tray & cover or seedling tent out of direct sunlight. I got some also and I got pl,anting instructions with them, but when mine arrived most of them had been unfortunately squashed flat by auspost. The seller (Rupert) refunded my purchase back to me immediately, so no complaints there and I'll be making sure I spend at least the same amount with him next year if he is selling rhizomes etc....

Thanks Domonsura, i will have a go at planting them this weekend.

I thought with seeds you may not be sure of sex of the resultant plant whereas with Rhizomes you would....?

And some good news, my cluster plant is alive. I thought when i cut it back after discussions here about nettling that it would never come back to life but in the last week new shoots have emerged. And i have noticed 2 little leaves poking thru on my cascade.
Hey D S
You need to cut those shoots off in order to have them grow properly :p

Yeah, you need to cut them off, put them in some soil after dipping them in rooting hormone and then bring them to the swap. I'll dispose of those nasty little troublesome offshoots....:D

How's this for a huge problem with my hops.

I planted some Chinook and Columbus out the front of our Town house in the rose garden. Was just about to start training them up a stake, when they started to turn brown and die off over a few days, along with a couple of weeds that were in there as well.

The F#%$ gardeners must have given them a spray with something.

At least I still have my Perle and Mt Hood out the back.

With all the wet weather and thunderstorms we've been having my hops haven't seem to have grown much at all.
So surprise me when on closer inspection I see that the Columbus and bourne cones.

HopPlantation2007_006.jpg
HopPlantation2007_007.jpg

The others haven't but are all looking good.

HopPlantation2007_012.jpg

Beers,
Doc

Attachments

• HopPlantation2007_011.jpg
    HopPlantation2007_011.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 20
So Ross .. I guess no one told your bines that they don't grow north of Adelaide??
What does the shorter summer day length do to hops? Looks like the heat doesn't worry them!

Hi Braufrau - sorry I missed your Q.

They seem to be thriving, but the shorter days will apparently decrease the hop yield. I think it was QldKev (where is he these days) that showed pics of his last year, that were laden in hops right up in Bundaberg.
Hoping for slightly better next year, once they've had time to settle in their new pots, but since they only get the afternoon sun where I've planted them, I'm not expecting too much other than foliage...

cheers Ross

Hi Braufrau - sorry I missed your Q.

They seem to be thriving, but the shorter days will apparently decrease the hop yield. I think it was QldKev (where is he these days) that showed pics of his last year, that were laden in hops right up in Bundaberg.
Hoping for slightly better next year, once they've had time to settle in their new pots, but since they only get the afternoon sun where I've planted them, I'm not expecting too much other than foliage...

cheers Ross

Is there another Kev here in Bundy? I did not know that!

I have a hop plant up here, but I think the soil is too sandy, I am gonna pile some clay up around it and hope it washes into the soil and improves the growth a bit.

Latest posts

Back