2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally

Netherby ThunderBrew Abbey - home of the MashMonke
Reaction score
Hey Wally,

yes mine had simular this morning (also only a year old) i just built up some mulch around them
and we'll see how they go eh!

Rob.

Heya Guys,

also if anyone in Perth is looking to swap some Rhizomes, i've got 4 Columbus cuttings that are going quite well :D

Pretty much after any variety.

DSC01819.JPG

Rob.

Just checked my year old POR and saw the following activity.

View attachment 13095 View attachment 13096

Does anybody else have their hops shooting at the moment?

Seems very early considering we are only in the second week of winter.

I also have shoots on the cuttings I struck from last season.

If anyone in Adelaide is after a POR rhizome shoot me a PM.

Wally

That looks odd Wally, as my Mt Hood and Wuertemberger only recently died off.
I think Robs on the right track.

is there anyone in darwin with any spare hop rhizome things?

i would like to plant some..

cheers

G'day Wally,
I'd not count on any shoots this early in the year as being your major cone providers. From the last few years, I found it best to trim them off if they grow runners at this time of the year or, let them grow and wait for the explosion of growth closer to summer - and trim the early runners off.
If you've had unseasonably warm weather, your plants will try to grow but all you're doing is robbing the rhizome and sub soil roots from gaining nutrients during the dormant period at the expense of early runners that typically don't give much in the way of flowers.
Cheers,
TL

is there anyone in darwin with any spare hop rhizome things?

i would like to plant some..

cheers

Most aussie references on hops suggest that hops grow best between the 30th and 50th latitudes...but when you think about it, this time of the year in Darwin is probably ideal for them! Let us know how you go.

Cheers,
TL

Most aussie references on hops suggest that hops grow best between the 30th and 50th latitudes...but when you think about it, this time of the year in Darwin is probably ideal for them! Let us know how you go.

Cheers,
TL

hey yeah ill let ya know.. but i need to find some rhizomes first.

can i buy them online?

I'm looking into growing hops, and I'm going through the pdf that was in the 2006(?) thread. Where's the best place to order rhizomes from? Grumpys sell some, and the site say they will send out in a couple months.

i still have to trim mine back from last year as they have only just died off

That looks odd Wally, as my Mt Hood and Wuertemberger only recently died off.
I think Robs on the right track.

I may be sounding like a broken record, but my Chinook from last year has not only not died off, its still got hops on it and is still putting out sprays of new flower buds. Weird?
The nights here over the last week have been down around 10oC.

ATOMT :blink:

I may be sounding like a broken record, but my Chinook from last year has not only not died off, its still got hops on it and is still putting out sprays of new flower buds. Weird?
The nights here over the last week have been down around 10oC.

ATOMT :blink:

Mine are the same still producing cones; up in bundy.

Pretty much the same as Bundy here, the nights have been down to 10C on a couple of occasions, the canes are still green and still in leaf, where the hoppers haven't eaten them off. Going to cut them back today. Have these big mongrel brown hoppers here that eat everything even the palm trees, they hadn't touched the Hops, thought they must not like the taste, but no. They've now developed a taste for them as well, at least they don't eat the cones, YET!

Just checked my year old POR and saw the following activity.

View attachment 13095 View attachment 13096

Seems very early considering we are only in the second week of winter.

I also have shoots on the cuttings I struck from last season.

If anyone in Adelaide is after a POR rhizome shoot me a PM.

Wally

Wally,
They are fine and will go a darker purple colour over winter.
Try to protect them from frost if applicable ( I just chuck a plant pot up side down over it).

As TL said just cut them off if they start to kick in early as you want root growth not shoots.

Here is a pic of my Cluster hops just at the start of last summer and you can see the dead growth from the year before.
hops01lj1.jpg

- Luke

I'm looking into growing hops, and I'm going through the pdf that was in the 2006(?) thread. Where's the best place to order rhizomes from? Grumpys sell some, and the site say they will send out in a couple months.

i think it might be to late to order rhyzomes from Grumpys, you'd better shoot them an e-mail or better yet give them a call

www.grumpys.com.au

-Phill (no affiliation to Grumpys)

i think it might be to late to order rhyzomes from Grumpys, you'd better shoot them an e-mail or better yet give them a call

www.grumpys.com.au

-Phill (no affiliation to Grumpys)

Buy from the source:

Stewart Ferguson
PO Box 173
Scottsdale TAS 7260
PH: 03 6352 7207

Wally wrote: (snipped)

Seems very early considering we are only in the second week of winter:
Definitely greenhouse warming :D

Here is a photo taken today of young seed grown female with very long shoots, the declining photoperiod

should slow further growth, but after June 21st...

Also took a photo of my Chinook cutting which gave me a tiny late harvest today :)

Rupert.

winterbuds284jb6.jpg

latechinooktg4.jpg

Since a couple of plants have refused to stop growing from last season, would it be worth cutting them back to ground to encourage a new growth for this season, of just let them reshoot from the existing folage?

QldKev

Great to see the growth you are all getting - I'm damn jealous... :( By the way - I ordered some hops rhysomes from grumpys about a month ago - should they be arriving yet?!

But maybe there is no rush.. after all I am in cold Melbourne at present (15 degrees max today!!) :ph34r:

Great to see the growth you are all getting - I'm damn jealous... :( By the way - I ordered some hops rhysomes from grumpys about a month ago - should they be arriving yet?!

But maybe there is no rush.. after all I am in cold Melbourne at present (15 degrees max today!!) :ph34r:

and your reply from the Grumpy's website

Just a gentle reminder that we will be closing off orders for rhizomes on Friday 1st June. We will then forward everyone's details down to our grower in Tasmania and he will be sending out the orders directly to you in mid to late July.

Happy growing!

so we should be getting them by the end of next month

-Phill

Back