2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have to give it a go this year. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which varieties to choose? I have only just started brewing and using hops and love the idea of growing my own (ie. what hop varieties do people use the most of). I see that cascade, fuggles, and chinook are fairly poplular.

I am going to have a crack at growing hops myself this year once they are available for purchase. I was just reading this article which has what appears to be a good pole design for growing 4 varieties.
Can anyone see any problems with it?

I reckon it looks like a reasonable design to me. Be aware that 13 feet isn't all that much clearance for hops, but with nearly 3 feet between varieties at the top, it should avoid serious tangling.

For my first year (this season just gone), I used two 2.5m wooden poles about 8m apart for mine (dynabolted to the brick wall at each end of my apartment's balcony ;)). I have 3 slots cut all the way around each pole 20cm apart, so the slots are at about 2400, 2200, 2000mm off the ground. I then run three lengths of twine between the two poles, using the slots to keep the twine from slipping.

At the eastern end, I then put three long stakes in a nice big pot, forming a "tee pee" with the peak near the twine lines. I picked 3 good bines, and trained them onto the three stakes. When they got to the top of the stakes, I trained them onto the three horizontal lines. First year growth put them about 2 metres along the lines (4-4.5m of growth per bine). Next season, I'll be getting myself a POR, and will grow it from the middle of the lines.

While this needs a lot more space than the link you posted, it has lots of advantages: You can reach all of the hops, and can do multiple harvests without messing about with a ladder (my hops became ripe over a period of a month or so); It's a cheaper, and less permanent rig; Finally, you don't lose as much space as you might think - you can still walk around under the lines.

Thanks Mark for the great post. I'm not neceassarily concerned about space, just trying to create something effective and reliable. Your solution sounds quite good too given the shape and space in my yard. Thanks again.

Thanks Mark for the great post. I'm not neceassarily concerned about space, just trying to create something effective and reliable. Your solution sounds quite good too given the shape and space in my yard. Thanks again.

Let me know if you want a pic, and I'll take one this afternoon. I only have the bottom two lines up now (top bine died back in Feb, and it was looking a bit unsightly), but it should give you an idea.

I think I have a good idea in my head of what you mean - but if you don't mind a pic will definately help.

My plant struggled a bit this season. Had to be cut back and moved state. Did alright in the end but not too productive.

Not sure if I should cut it back yet though. It is quite cold in Melbourne these days

I'm going to dig my non-producing first year plant and stick it in a pot for next year. When's the best time to cut Rhizomes out of the dirt? Should I store them in a fridge until later, or can I stick it into a pot as soon as it's cut out?

I received an email back from Grumpy's saying they are no longer selling rhizomes, or at least not this year. They advised I should contact Stewart directly, but I haven't had a reply.
Any ideas on when they'll be available for purchase, I definately do not want to miss out this year?

OK, my hops plants are giving up the ghost and dying back. What do I do?

I plan to remove them from the ground and replant elsewhere next season.
I'm thinking along the lines of cutting them back to a 2-3 inches above the ground and removing the root system from the ground and putting them in pots for the winter.

Did anyone contact Grain and Grape about hop ribosomes this yr? Im keen for a few varieties

Did anyone contact Grain and Grape about hop ribosomes this yr? Im keen for a few varieties

That's a great one :)
I never heard of hop ribosomes before, though I'm sure that, like all eukaryotes, they have some :)

Just being facetious. We plant rhizomes not ribosomes.

MFS.

OK, my hops plants are giving up the ghost and dying back. What do I do?

I plan to remove them from the ground and replant elsewhere next season.
I'm thinking along the lines of cutting them back to a 2-3 inches above the ground and removing the root system from the ground and putting them in pots for the winter.

i remember reading somewhere that without a proper dormancy period (ie sub zero temps) they will eventually over a few years stop producing hence the lack of western sydney hop plantations i spose! :)

if your digging them up why not try putting some in the freezer for a few weeks?

Hey guys,

just wondering if anyone in Adelaide (closer to town the better) has some hops cuttings i could try and get growing.

money would be transfered for sure and id come and pick them up. doesnt bother me too much on what varieties, just wanna give it a shot, something mild would be nice (nor POR)

thanks
gerald

Hi,

Do you still have some Hop seeds or cuttings for sale, if so what variety. i can pick up or arrange post and $ transfer.

cheers, drew

Latest posts

Back