2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plant breeder at Hop Products Australia has never heard of them. Never been grown commercially down here apparently.
I wonder where the original material came from. As you said Wurttenberger just means from Wurttenberg, as Hallertauer means from Hallertau and Tettnanger means from Tettnang, with no indication of the variety.

MFS.

The hop of mystery.
Maybe someone else growing them or Mr Ferguson has a bit more info?

Screwy, I too love the affect of late fresh flowers and have been buying a few of the Kiwi ones lately.
lace2.jpg
There's a little cara in there to help too :rolleyes:

- Luke

BTW: What is the Wurttemberger like? Noble, higher than the current 2% euro's :p ?
Hopefully it's better than the Tassie Tet's or Hall as I agree with MFS as they are far from Noble.

- Luke

So what are all these hops like grown all over the place in the land of Oz?
How much does the climate effect the flavour and aroma.
Are Adelaide Saaz comparable to Czech Saaz? Bisbane Goldings to East Kent??

So what are all these hops like grown all over the place in the land of Oz?
How much does the climate effect the flavour and aroma.
Are Adelaide Saaz comparable to Czech Saaz? Bisbane Goldings to East Kent??

BF, I think the differences in climate, soil, daylight etc will result in something unique in each variety similar to wine grapes. So what you get, you get!

The plant breeder at Hop Products Australia has never heard of them. Never been grown commercially down here apparently.
I wonder where the original material came from. As you said Wurttenberger just means from Wurttenberg, as Hallertauer means from Hallertau and Tettnanger means from Tettnang, with no indication of the variety.

MFS.

I contacted Stuart Ferguson for some background info, he directed me to John Ross at Hopco who replied:
The Wurtemberger that you purchased from Stewart was imported from Germany in the late 80s. It was sent to us as a variety that may be of interest and that might grow well in Australia. I do not have any information in my system on this variety any more. For further information you might try Joh Barth & Sohn in Germany. You might also find the spelling WURTTEMBERGER will give you more information.

John Ross

Contacted John Barth and Sohn in Germany, their reply:
Dear Sir,
We have not heard of that variety either. As a matter of fact a variety by
that name has never existed officially.
I can imagine that the variety in question is Tettnang. Tettnang is a
growing region in the German Federal State Baden Wuerttemberg. Its original
variety is the Tettnang Tettnanger.

You can find information on this variety on our website:
http://www.barthhaasgroup.com/cmsdk/conten...p_varieties.htm

Kind regards,

Adolfo Schott Steinberg

Joh. Barth & Sohn GmbH & Co. KG

Then Zwickel checked with Alexbrand in Germany who found this information for me:
Hi!

Short info, what my german brewing colleagues found out:

USDA ACCESSION No.: 21682
SELECTION: No information
GENUS: Humulus
SPECIES: lupulus
CULTIVAR: Wuerttemberger
PEDIGREE: no information
PRIMARY SITE USDA/OSU Hop Research Farm, Corvallis, OR.
ORIGIN Hop Unioin USA, Yakima WA (Dr. Greg Lewis) who had obtained it from Germany
DATE RECEIVED: Spring 1993
METHOD RECEIVED: rhizomes
AVAILBILITY: no restrictions
REFERENCES: Annual Repoprt of Hop Research, USDA/ARS 1993 and later years
MATURITY: medium early
LEAF COLOR: light green
SEX: female
DISEASES: Downy mildew: moderately resdistant
Powdery mildew: No information
Verticillium wilt. Tolerant
Viruses: No information
VIGOR: fair to good
YIELD: poor
SIDE ARM LENGTH: 12 to 30 inches
ALPHA ACIDS: 5 %
BETA ACIDS: 4 %
COHUMULONE: 28 %
STORAGE STABILITY: good, retained about 72% of its original alpha acids after
6 months room temperature storage
OIL: 1.25 ml/ 100 g. Humulene18%; caryophyllene 6%; farnesene 4%
Myrcene 59%. H/C ratio = 3.00
MAJOR TRAITS: pleasant continental aroma characteristics
OTHER INFORMATION: This is an old German hop which no longer is grown commercially. It may be related to Tettnanger of Saazer.

I like the aroma, it is very similar to Tett.

As for AA who would know without testing. From my limited knowledge Wurttemberger is a hop native to the Baden?Wurtemberg area nd is most likely related to Tettnung/Saaz.

So what do people assume for AA of their home grown hops?
Whatever beersmith tells them?

Use a commercial hop to bitter and leave the home grown for finishing seems to be the smartest way to do it.

I seem to remember someone in the 2006 thread saying to chew a flower!
I think it went something like this: Time however long it took 'till you had to spit out the flower, say 4 seconds, and subtract from 10 to give an approximate AA. 10-4 = 6%
Obviously not accurate and useless for high-alpha, but from memory it gets pretty close.

I seem to remember someone in the 2006 thread saying to chew a flower!
I think it went something like this: Time however long it took 'till you had to spit out the flower, say 4 seconds, and subtract from 10 to give an approximate AA. 10-4 = 6%
Obviously not accurate and useless for high-alpha, but from memory it gets pretty close.

Heh, thats funny!!! Does it work?

Obviously some individual calibration is required, so use a commercial hop flower of known alpha acid, to work out your values :D

Q

Dunno, maybe the originator of that could post an update?.....

Woo Hoo.... My Columbus has cones B)

hops_columbus.jpg

The cones are still small , but they are everywhere :)
hops_columbus2.jpg

Cheers Ross

My plants still continue to be harassed by what I believe to be slugs and spider mites. Very frustrating! Poor buggers are still struggling to get off the ground :(

My plants are up but considering they follow their botanical cousins flowering cycle I do not anticipate any signs of flowers yet. And a harvest in April hopefully.

cheers
johnno

So Ross .. I guess no one told your bines that they don't grow north of Adelaide??
What does the shorter summer day length do to hops? Looks like the heat doesn't worry them!

cluster_hops_oct.jpg cluster_hops_dec_07.jpg
My cluster hop as of October and the latest December shot.
It takes the old 30 ltr no chill cube full of water every Saturday and Tuesday with a slow drip watering system connected to the cube tap.
I will get some xmas decorations on it this weekend and make it a little festive like Rob's.

- Luke

Edit: watering times !

Latest posts

Back