10 minute IPAs are good for school night brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PeteQ said:
I would imagine you would have a whole batch of DMS.

I hope it turns out for you...
Actually he should be fine. So long as the beer didn't have heaps of very light grain (pilsner etc) then DMS isn't really an issue for modern brewers. Modern malting techniques mean that the grains are very highly modified and have very little DMS precursors. Being an IPA.. I doubt anyone would be able to perceive any DMS even if it was a problem.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/10/dimethyl-sulfides-dms-in-home-brewed-beer/

Could it be then, that 60 minute boils (for non Pilsner malts) are measured by the fact that most beers 'require' a bittering addition around 60 minutes?

Highly interested to know if I could get away with a 30 minute boil with just the one or two additions if I am rushed for time (happy to wait the 60 mins if I have the whole day), especially if malts these days are low in DMS risks (as per above...)

Keep us informed as to how this one ends up!

I often notice a very strong break at around 20 minutes and often wondered what the beer would turn out like if I let that break settle and just no chill and ferment the wort.
Obviously doing a 60 min bittering addition precluded me from doing that, but in the case of the "10 minute" hop idea...

I can feel a Bribie G experiment coming on, as well as a shytload of American Hops that need to be used up. :super:

About a year or so back, my gas bottle ran out, bbq bottle lasted mere seconds.. Had been boiling for 20mins max.. Dumped in a few handfuls of cascade and Simcoe from memory... It got drunk and I can't remember it having any off flavours..

My bet is it'll be OK.. No doubt I'll get to taste some. :)

Impy said:
Actually he should be fine. So long as the beer didn't have heaps of very light grain (pilsner etc) then DMS isn't really an issue for modern brewers. Modern malting techniques mean that the grains are very highly modified and have very little DMS precursors. Being an IPA.. I doubt anyone would be able to perceive any DMS even if it was a problem.http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/04/10/dimethyl-sulfides-dms-in-home-brewed-beer/
That's a good point but it's not necessarily the whole story. I was just yesterday reading an article about dms and it's precursors in the JOI. While brad addresses smm in that link,it's not the only precursor to dms. Further to that, while lightly kilned malt does contain more precursor it isn't necessarily converted to dms. Ale malt, due largely to the higher kilning temp, actually contains more dms but less precursor. It normally disappears in the boil though. Now to drag back to topic...

I can say that I have also been told that little creatures is 20 min boil ..yep
And a bloke I know who has gone commercial with a beer that scored highly in a crafty pint blind taste test only does a 20 min boil...yep
Another bloke who has brewed for alot of commercial brewers also does a 20 min boil for some of his brews..yep
Would I do it ? I don't have the canasta's to be honest lol
I wouldn't be worried , really..unless of course I was it was a pils..which it isn't ..
Taste and report back !

What dose science say?

Surely there's a PHD or someone from The Ponds Institute round the joint.

Could start a revolution.

yeah-science-bitch-meme-1.jpg

...sorry, I had to.

Dave70 said:
What dose science say?

Surely there's a PHD or someone from The Ponds Institute round the joint.

Could start a revolution.
Bollox to that.. Id get less time standing round the kettle with drink in hand :lol:

It's not just about sanitising the wort or knocking DMS/SSM out. There's also a bunch of proteins that taste like crap or reduce beer stability that need to see the boil longer than 10 minutes in order to drop out.

That's in general. I think OP's beer will probably not be destined for the lawn, all things being equal.

Yob said:
Bollox to that.. Id get less time standing round the kettle with drink in hand :lol:
It's a valid point.

Henceforth there shall no further mention of wicked science and we shall have faith that the boil shall be a minimum of 60 minutes.

Could be onto something here.
Remember the time when no chill and biab were impossible?

Ok so getting back OT..

At what stage of the fermentation will i taste this corn tasting dms?

4 days in and samples taste ok. Nothing corn like yet?

Aside from corn is there anything else i should be looking out for?

bum said:
<snip> I think OP's beer will probably not be destined for the lawn, all things being equal.
Yep, I doubt the beer will be as good as it could have been, but for me it'd have to be properly nasty to actually throw out a whole batch. And I agree with bum, it's probably not going to be that nasty. May even be OK. As others have said, keep us posted when it's tasting time :) .

Back