10 minute IPAs are good for school night brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be giving the 30min boil and mash smash a go this evening.. I've got my HLT on a timer so should be good to go once I get home from work at 5. Hoping to be all cubed and cleaned by around 7..

I'll get it fermenting with some 1469 slurry next weekend once I keg my current brew.

sponge said:
I'll be giving the 30min boil and mash smash a go this evening.. I've got my HLT on a timer so should be good to go once I get home from work at 5. Hoping to be all cubed and cleaned by around 7..

I'll get it fermenting with some 1469 slurry next weekend once I keg my current brew.

I'm thinking about giving this a go myself, I'm down to my last cube of wort for my current run of 1469 and have been really enjoying milds with the weather we've had up here recently, I'm thinking I could easily pump out 3 or 4 cubes in a day and keep my current run of 1469 ticking over for a month or so with just a days brewing.

I managed to brew the 30min smash last night as I've posted in the WAYB III thread. Mashed in at 6pm, cubed by 8pm. Now to wait and see how it turns out.

I'll start fermenting it next weekend.

Just did a 30 min boil english something or other. Nice and quick brew day

Mash was 52 -10 68-45 78-15. Chucked 25g of fuggle fwh and 25 into cube will report back once fermented

So I've started experimenting with 30min boils, but making sure I have vigorous rolling boil for those 30 minutes. I have also started hopping in the whirpool for 20 minutes, so I guess I am about 60 minutes anyway.

Anyway the end results are no DMS and a beer that tastes and smells awesomely hoppy :)

I've just kegged off #2, double batch: 2 kegs and a bit left over for quaffing out of primary.

TTL 30 min.jpg

Tastes clean, hoppy, no chill haze ( this is out of primary at zero degrees after CC so I'd guess any slight haze is still yeast).

I'm in .

One thing I've found with my two 30 minute boilers so far is the massive Pavlova Heads I'm getting with the UK style all malt versions.

Anyone else getting this? Maybe the short boil isn't zapping certain proteins? It's very frustrating pouring the first pint of the day and having to wait so long. First World Problem. :lol:

Pavlova head.jpg

Bribie, are you noticing less maltiness than in your usual beers due to less melanoidins being formed with an extended boil?

I am going to give this a go

No, if anything more of a malty fresh flavour. I use a fair amount of xtal as well, so that would mask any reduction of maltiness from the base malt, I guess.

Will have to try this as I seem to be getting less time to brew. Short high mash + short boil = low alc school night beer.

Im loving the fact that my dumb mistake has got people trying something a bit new and different.

Cheers to Bribie and anyone else that understands the technical side of it all to be testing it out. Great also to see you doing it more than once to test out the repeatability of it too.

I want to try this. Would using pils base malt be a bad bad idea? DMS etc etc...

What is xtal?

GrumpyPaul said:
Im loving the fact that my dumb mistake has got people trying something a bit new and different.

Cheers to Bribie and anyone else that understands the technical side of it all to be testing it out. Great also to see you doing it more than once to test out the repeatability of it too.

Cheers for starting this thread, started as a good chuckle and progressed onto some new ideas, I've now done a few 30 minute boils to cut some time off my brew days, also have a cube of mild that was 30 minute mash and boil, now that was a great brew day and could quite easily be knocked out in evening after work.

I was at a talk where the chap from Brew Cult said his Hoppinator (I think it was that beer) is a 30 min mash and 30 min boil, half hops at 10 minutes and the rest dry.
Seems pretty cool, but I'd be worried about efficiency!

Bribie G said:
One thing I've found with my two 30 minute boilers so far is the massive Pavlova Heads I'm getting with the UK style all malt versions.

Anyone else getting this? Maybe the short boil isn't zapping certain proteins? It's very frustrating pouring the first pint of the day and having to wait so long. First World Problem. :lol:

Pavlova head.jpg
God that looks delicious!

This whole idea is interesting for sure!

lael said:
I want to try this. Would using pils base malt be a bad bad idea? DMS etc etc...

What is xtal?
I've never had what I would recognise as DMS. Perhaps this could be a problem with old school continental malts such as Bohemian Floor Malted, but with Aussie "Pilsener" malts I doubt if DMS would be a problem. I note that traditional Czech breweries like Pilsner Urquell do (or used to do) a 2 hour boil. Don't know if that's still the case, that info is from a very old Michael Jackson video of his brewery tour.

I'll get round to using my sack of Joe White Pilsener, so that should be a good test.

Bribie G said:
I've never had what I would recognise as DMS. Perhaps this could be a problem with old school continental malts such as Bohemian Floor Malted, but with Aussie "Pilsener" malts I doubt if DMS would be a problem. I note that traditional Czech breweries like Pilsner Urquell do (or used to do) a 2 hour boil. Don't know if that's still the case, that info is from a very old Michael Jackson video of his brewery tour.

I'll get round to using my sack of Joe White Pilsener, so that should be a good test.
For whatever it's worth, I've been using Joe White export pilsner in Hefeweizens for the last 3 months (about 5 batches worth of Hefeweizens), doing 45 minute boils + no-chill and have not noticed anything that resembles the descriptions given for DMS. I expect it'd show up in a hefeweizen without a lot else going on to mask it.

Now I've never tasted anything that I've known to have DMS to help identify it, and my palate is probably not the most advanced, but it anecdotally supports your theory. 45 minutes is more than 30 minutes of course, but it's half the recommended 90 minutes.

Latest posts

Back