10 minute IPAs are good for school night brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrumpyPaul said:
At what stage of the fermentation will i taste this corn tasting dms?
I don't think the conversion from SMM to DMS is a process mediated by the yeast (I might be wrong but can't remember reading anything to that effect), so if it's going to be a problem you should probably know already. Although once you carbonate it everything seems to become easier to smell as the escaping CO2 takes compounds with it.

I'm unaware of a "force DMS test" as such, but maybe someone else knows of such a thing.

For the obligatory anecdote: A lot of people say you need to do a 90 min boil if you use a lot of pils malt because it has more SMM. But my first time using it I didn't know that and did the regular 60 min and couldn't detect and DMS in the final product. So while such advice is good advice for the "average" situation (because they're usually based on science), these things aren't hard and fast rules for every situation. I wouldn't be too concerned. And if it does have lots of corn or vegetative character, just tell people it's a "spice, herb or vegetable beer" (BJCP 21A) :D .

I've done 30 min boils on similar grain bills on small and large scales. No dms. I have done a short boil on a beer with Weyerman pils as 30-40% of the grist, no dms problems. I guess every system is different.

I find dms easy to taste/smell in high levels in the wort, and it is easier to pick up as the beer ferments. That said, it is not something I aim for in a beer so have usually only smell it when boiling up laygahs.

It's ale base malt not pils so will probably be OK. Didn't know that some commercials do quick boils... interesting, I have a sack of Briess ale malt I could try out a short boil with :)

Well here it is.

No sign of corn flavour so i assume i was extremely lucky to avoid the dms.

It could have done with more hopping. Its pretty tame for what was supposed to be an ipa.

phpCxWZFlPM.jpg

Ok. More of an update on how this turned out...

Just got my kegs back from my sons bucks weekend and the keg of this one was drunk dry.

So it must have been ok to all the boys there.

I am no beer judge and i reckon my palate is not the most educated....but it was a pretty nice beer to me. It may not win any comps, but i liked it.

Would i do a 10 minute boil again? probably not...because i figure its a mistake i learned from this time and just happened to be lucky enough that it turned out ok.

I was going to do a double batch yorkie today but got sidetracked and too late.

So I put on my lab coat and did an experimental brew, dead simple:

5000 Bairds Pearl Pale Ale
200 TF dark crystal

68.5 degree mash 60 mins

25g Challenger 30 mins
40g EKG 15 mins
20g Fuggles NZ flowers 15 mins

30 minute boil.

I got a reasonable break at 30 minutes, but a really typical "breadcrumb soup" break when I chucked in the BrewBright.

Settling out now in the urn to be cubed. I like rich malty UK ESBs with hop notes, so won't mind if it doesn't turn out as bitter as the 60 min boil.

Time will tell.

30 min bitter.jpg
30 minute ESB

I've just kegged this, it's been cold conditioning for about 10 days and I'm drinking a few left over. This is a very nice, clean and fresh beer. It's just come off 4 degrees and has little or no chill haze, that I was concerned about. No DMS and a nice fresh hoppiness, maybe from the shorter boil?

Well guess what... I'll be doing this from now on.

oh man, this topic is getting me excited about mid-week brewing. I don't think I could manage a full mash and boil with the little fella and a pregnant wife and still be in bed at a reasonable hour.

But if I can nail out a 60 minute mash and a 30 minute boil, it is very achievable for a week night. Which is good for everyone cause it frees up the weekend instead of taking an entire morning.

I can put strike water in pot in the morning, set my software to start ramping to strike temp at 5:30, arrive home at 6 and dump grain in. Mash for the 60 minutes by which time little fella is in bed and dinner finished. Mash out and ramp to boiling temps. 30 minute boil for bitters and IPAs and a no-chill for the mid-week win.

You could get the Mrs to put your dinner in a big snaplock bag and pop that into the pot for when you get home. Works on Masterchef :ph34r:

30min mash and boil would make for a nice, easy mild and short brew day.

I'm thinking I may have to have a play with this in the future also.

MO/styrians SMaSH with the 30min boil & mash regime. Can't get much simpler than that!

As posted in the What's in the Glass thread, my 30 min ESB has turned out one of the best bitters I've ever done, I'm itching to put a version into next years comps.

30 min esb.jpg

I don't know whether I'd want to reduce the boil time at all, very happy with the 30 minute concept.

A few aspects really stand out for me: the freshness and liveliness of the flavour is something I seem to remember from many premium ales in the UK like Greene King Abbot Ale and that were missing from my regular ales. Also it's cleared out very nicely; I'd been worried that a shorter boil might not fix the proteins, but this doesn't seem to have happened.

It's also persuaded me to get back to basics with my UK ales namely:

Keep the grain bill simple, as most UK breweries do. Forget the faffy little addtions such as wheat malt, Munich, da sugaz, etc. Base plus some xtal from now on.
Keep the hop bill authentic, two or at the most three of the well established hops.

This has been a good exercise to get things back on track. Going to do one today. :super:

Edit: another thing that does occur to me, traditional UK ales boiled in the copper are boiled by contact with the surface of the copper, obviously, but they aren't boiled with an electric element. I have a sneaky suspicion that prolonged boiling with a concentrated heat source such as an element could introduce some muddy flavours into the wort. I know that's a bit of a strange statement as I've been an advocate of the exposed element urns, it will be interesting to see if the "freshness" repeats in the next few brews. Hopefully it wasn't a one off. I usually boiled for 60 to 90 minutes.

The only problem I would expect is a shorter shelf life, but perhaps not. In a pale ale, that should be enjoyed fresh, it's no issue, anyway.

Interested in Bribie's thoughts on the exposed element... I am tempted to split a batch and boil one on an element and the other on gas.

Depending on the grain bill and infusion temp., short mash times can also be utilised to shorten the brewday - iodine starch tests have shown full conversion at the 30 min mark.

I can feel a Mild coming on...

I'm keen to see how these shorter boils pan out. I've been moving a lot of my hops forward lately to the point where there are almost none at 60. I feel this would be good with galaxy in particular which has no business being at 60 IMO.
Keep us posted bribie and others who try this.

So what about combining this with a shorter mash? My basic understanding is that most of the mash conversion takes place in the first 20 minutes, so why not a 30 minute mash followed by 30 minute boil?? Not ideal but for time poor people like me, the sacrifice in quality might be worth the time saving...or at least mean we get to brew occassionally!

One thing that hasnt been mentioned that concerns me is the role of boiling in concentrating the wort from a pre-boil to post boil gravity. In my BIAB system my wort is reduced from about 33L pre-boil to around 22 L post-boil...If I only did a 30 mniute boil surely I would end up with a higher volume of lower gravity beer...perhaps i could compensate by just adding more grain ??

Brewing software can calculate the grain and water volumes required to reach your intended OG and volume with a 30min boil.

I mentioned trying a mild SMASH with a 30min boil & mash a few posts back. Seems like an extremely easy brew day.. I usually do a shorter mash for milds anyways so being able to combine that with a short boil would be quite nice. Looks like Bribie has already had some success with a short boil so am real keen to give this a go.

For a 23L batch I used my regular amount of grain for the BrewMate recipe. However I cut back a couple of litres on the strike liquor and that seemed to get me to where I normally sit with a 60 min boil.

Latest posts

Back