10 minute IPAs are good for school night brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blitzer said:
Bribie are you mashing & boiling for 30 minutes? Or mashing regular (60-90) and boiling for 30?
I've done a couple of 30 minute mashes on milds and bitters, works a treat when mashing so hot, normally at 70°c.

I always do a short mash on a mild. As stated above, conversion is quick with high temperatures.

Combining this with the short boil is glorious.

Donske said:
I've done a couple of 30 minute mashes on milds and bitters, works a treat when mashing so hot, normally at 70°c.
Do you leave the mash tun less insulated and allow the temp to drop over the mash, or maintain the temp instead?

I've mashed a pale mild at 72 degrees and bumped up the bitterness to compensate and worked out great - though not on a short time mash regimen.

Should just maintain the temp LRG.

Just like mashing at say 65.. just hold the temp but no need to do it for as long as you do with a lower mash temp.

That's a negative ghost rider.

Single step, no sparge, short boil, <3hr brew day.

From there you can make it complex as you would like.

I haven't read everything in this entire thread but I'm wondering if you guys all use higher mash temps to increase the dextrins to volume ratio.

eg, when you boil for an hour+ and achieve a 10% reduction in volume you also concentrate the dextrins.

Conversely, I'd be interested in finding out if people's final gravities are lower using this method (and not adjusting mash temp).

I'm a bit of a AG noob here so I'm most likely wrong, but doesn't a higher mash temp 68-70c produce more unfermentable sugars, than say 64-66c?

So you be more likely to have a higher Final Gravity?

Bang on.

With milds being so low strength, the idea is to get in as much body as possible to not leave a mild too dry (although there are some who prefer drier milds)

Been drinking a few different 30min pale ales lately and the head has been the same as any other beer. Nice dense thick foam and same retention as 60min beers.

Brewed one up the other night 30 at 69, 78 for 10 then 30 mins boil with 100 grams Styrian in cube. Going to ferment with 1469 this week will report back

Thanks for the tip, OP and others who followed in his path :)

After a 4 month brewing break due to moving house and being a relatively light drinker, I broke the drought with an ESB style 30 min mash/30 min boil yesterday. All done in under 2.5 hours, but hopefully next time will be faster, as now I know where all the brewing gear is located :beerbang:

Bump. Love what's going on in this thread, not just for saving time but for sticking it to convention. Just read everything from the start.
I've got a pretty simple BIAB no sparge no chill setup that's been working well for me ever since I put in a ball valve.

Any comment on shorter mash times for BIAB? Probably fine for a mild or any hotter mash, but what about a regular pale ale at 65/66C, or a Munich SMaSH? BIAB efficiency is not great to start with as far as I've read (I'm hitting 70-75% brewhouse efficiency with regular 5%abv brews these days, without a sparge).

Slightly OT, but I found that one big jump in efficiency happens when you know the pH of your water (or at least can guess that it's pretty alkaline) and adjust down to an idea mash pH.

I'm getting 75% with a sparge BIAB here because (from Taswater) the water's pH is pretty high. In Brisbane after the 2011 flood, I had a sudden drop in efficiency and after tweaking, used around 200g (in a 5.5kg batch) of acidulated malt and voila! my efficiency was back up to normal (mid 80's). Same would go for the pH adjust that CB sells.

Back OT - what's the efficiency drop for a 30 minute mash? Curious to see if anyone want to do a side by side with the same ingredients water, etc between a 60 or 90 min mash and a 30 min mash.

Sorry for not reading all 114 posts in this thread and thw question may have already been answered. Quick question for the 10 minute boilers. Any DMS (corn / creamed corn smell) showing up? DMS has a half life of 40mins when boiled. Even doing a 60min boil only reduces DMS by roughly 2/3. There is always DMS, its just whether you can detect it. I'd imagine a 10 min boil would leave a noticable amount behind?
I guess this question is mainly aimed at lagers and light ales.

Edit - just did the maths. Whatever DMS was produced in the mash, has only been reduced by 16%.
Thats a whopping 84% of DMS still in the wort.

Can anyone detect it?

So far it has been suggested it's not an issue and maybe modern ale malts are modified enough to have such low levels of SMM that it won't be.

My understanding though is that the boil itself transforms the SMM to DMS which is volatile (SMM isn't). SMM remaining unconverted has the potential to later be converted (some yeast activity, bacterial infection, possible other causes) so DMS may not be immediately be noticeable - you just may have carried over enough SMM to be a problem later. In a 10 minute boil you may get little DMS but carry over the majority of the SMM which has potential to become DMS.

If you can't detect DMS within the time you drink it, I guess it's not an isssue.

McK, the thread as it now stands is more about a 30 minute boil, not 10 minutes - however I will be doing all my competition ales this year with a 30 min boil and see how they go.

manticle said:
So far it has been suggested it's not an issue and maybe modern ale malts are modified enough to have such low levels of SMM that it won't be.

My understanding though is that the boil itself transforms the SMM to DMS which is volatile (SMM isn't). SMM remaining unconverted has the potential to later be converted (some yeast activity, bacterial infection, possible other causes) so DMS may not be immediately be noticeable - you just may have carried over enough SMM to be a problem later. In a 10 minute boil you may get little DMS but carry over the majority of the SMM which has potential to become DMS.

If you can't detect DMS within the time you drink it, I guess it's not an isssue.
Mashing converts SMM to DMS (and DMSO) - SMM only needs heat to convert. Also some DMS is created during the boil, but boiled off, to a point, never 0.
As I see it, most of the DMS youre ever going to get is already in the wort, post mash. Boiling gets rid of it at a half life of 40 mins. Thats why I was a bit shocked to read 10 min boil. As Bribie points out this thread has a consensus of 30 mins for boiling, which in theory is still going to retain more than half the DMS.

Still - this thread is about IPA's and really, IPA's mask everything. Sometimes even the fact its a beer.....

Flame-suit ON!!

mckenry said:
Mashing converts SMM to DMS (and DMSO) - SMM only needs heat to convert. Also some DMS is created during the boil, but boiled off, to a point, never 0.
As I see it, most of the DMS youre ever going to get is already in the wort, post mash. Boiling gets rid of it at a half life of 40 mins. Thats why I was a bit shocked to read 10 min boil. As Bribie points out this thread has a consensus of 30 mins for boiling, which in theory is still going to retain more than half the DMS.

Still - this thread is about IPA's and really, IPA's mask everything. Sometimes even the fact its a beer.....

Flame-suit ON!!
Also keep in mind that a vigorous ferment will drive off DMS too.

Parks said:
Also keep in mind that a vigorous ferment will drive off DMS too.
Yep, I realise that. If no-one is getting DMS in the final product then its all good. I'm all for innovation and testing 'accepted wisdom' its just that sometimes I think some corners need to remain pointy. Keen to hear if this really is a winner as it could save a truck load of gas during the boil.

Latest posts

Back