Yeast Starters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In your 1st post you said you couldn't find any instructions on how to harvest yeast. You also made it abundantly clear you had no real clue what a starter is or how to make one, or even why.

The links I provided you with gave very easy to follow info on how and why to make a starter. Post #7 also told you the reasons you might want to make a starter.
This thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=rinsing will tell you how to harvest yeast from a brew and reuse it in a following brew.

If you don't understand a term, why don't you ask a question about it in the thread that contains the info you are confused about, rather than make a new one?

There are plenty of terms I didn't know when I started but I just read up, googled and read up some more. If you were to go to a brew day with some local brewers, you could ask any questions you like and they'll all be answered. No way anything can be taken out of context that way...

P.S The internet tough-guy comment would have made you seem a lot tougher if you put your location in your profile.

Thankyou kindly, but as I keep trying to tell people, I ran through google, books, the instructionals and a few other bits and pieces and still didn't get it, and couldn't find the recipe for re-using part of your beer to make yeast, which is why I asked the question.

It seems that the fact that I researched it until I got frustrated at a lack of answer and dared to ask means I was punished for not continuing to research. And that asking a question means everyone instantly assumes you DIDN'T research.

Would somebody kindly give me a research benchmark so I don't get my head chewed off next time? Because considering how many afternoons I've spent trying to wrap my head around this shit, I thought I might have been justified in asking a simple question.

So as you can imagine the chip is 100% reactive. If people bite, I bite back. If people are nice, I'm nice back. I'm not going to accept unfair treatment just because somebody is a "forum veteran", nor am I going to bite somebody who's being pleasant. Quid pro quo. :)

I understand that you researched and still 'didn't get it'.

If anything, I am on your side because someone with questions who has made an effort to help themselves (as I believe you have) is worthy of having their questions considered and treated with respect.

I am suggesting that, regardless of whether you feel justified in your attitude and regardless of whether a few people could probably back off a little in theirs (and remember that the internet isn't completely anoymous); you should relax, grow a thicker skin and read between the internet lines. For every person that's been pricky/prickly so far, there's been another who has tried to answer your question. Engage with them and ask further what you don't understand rather than try and deal with every person whose attitude you don't agree with.

Dodge, rather than bulldoze.

If there are questions that haven't yet been fully answered, ask them again, to me, clearly and (PLEASE) without that red font and I will do my best to answer or refer you to where you may find the answer.

I'll do my best, you do yours.

First post, question followed by a question mark:
Effectively, it looks to me like they're making a liquid yeast, by adding dried yeast. What's the point?
After that was answered by multiple people, we have questions 2 and 3:
I guess the most frustrating part here, is I've asked what the POINT is of making a yeast starter, and everybody's gone "HERE'S THE RECIPE YOU IDIOT!!!". Effectively my question has gone unanswered in fabour of newbie bashing.

I also asked how to re-make yeast by re-using some of the beer from your brew keg.
After clearly explaining the point of a starter (which was promptly ignored, as was the red typing thing), and being directed to How To Brew (which was also ignored).
Question 3 is answered on the first post of the the first link, in the first reply to this thread, a thread which you posted in before you made this one!

Before you add yeast, 'beer' is called 'wort', the 'last runnings' are the last part of the wort you get from the 'mash-tun' where you add water to the grain to make your 'wort' - so you have already been told and shown a picture of how you can use 'wort' to make a 'starter' without using LDME. It is an infinitesimally small step to extend that concept to 'wort' that comes out of your kettle, or is taken from the 'fermentor' before you 'pitch' yeast.

So you've either read how to do this, and not understood it, maybe because of the brewing-terms used, because you have not even read the most basic book the subject,
Or you're actually trying to ask question #4 which is different again:
How do I harvest yeast from a previous batch of beer and use again in the next batch, by making a starter?
Which is answered, in more pictures in this thread, which is likely you'd not have found because without knowing the correct brewing terms for it, you'd not be able to find.

Asked for the recipe to "re-culture yeast from taking a bit of brew from the barrel"
There is no answer to that question, and there is no recipe, because that question is not logical and it does not make sense.
(You are asking the equivalent of how to start a car by pouring petrol into the radiator - something that is logical to most anyone who has an even basic understand of the concept of how a car works would not do.)

Either you are asking how to use your wort (unfermented beer) to make a starter to grow yeast from a packet
(which is was already answered for you, and is the most logical question you are asking since the topic of this thread is "Yeast Starter")
or
you are asking how to repitch yeast from your previous batch of beer.
(which is a totally different question, but answered on the link provided just above)

You're comparing something you grow up learning with something I'm only just learning now. That's like saying everybody knows how to drive manual "it's common sense". No. It's something that's taught, something that not everybody knows, and something that not everybody gets a handle on straight away.

Once again, what may be obvious to YOU is not always obvious to somebody else. This is the point *I* have been trying to make, did you read that?

And thankyou OH so kindly for answering my question. It's so talented of you to be able to do it at the same time as firing a trebuchet load of shit at me.
Driving a manual-car is not the analogy I used, driving on the correct side of the road was, and yes that is something that most pre-school children learn by osmosis and not direct learning.
In regard to brewing beer, my grandfather made home-brew (which I never saw or was allowed to drink) but my father did not, I had no experience, knowledge or understanding of home-brewing until I was given a free Coopers-kit and found these forums. The first batch of beer I just made - 1 month after my forum join date - was made with dry yeast (something I have suggested multiple times you do also), the second - one month later - after reading a few books and these forums was with recultured coopers yeast and a starter. I've also made more than a few stupid, uneducated and idiotic posts here, that I don't even want to go back and re-read.

I'm a troll?
Seems that way to me, but if you read How to Brew at least you will know what terms to use and what questions to ask next time you have a question.
If you refuse to do some learning of your own, continue to be stupid (post in red text, don't read/undrstand what forum members suggest, including that this forum is NOT a beginners brewing forum, and ignore what is sensible advice to most forum members), then you'll continue to be a troll (or just plain stupid and so trolling is a much nicer thing to be).

Here's an excerpt from your first response to my question.
I don't think I can make my 'Yeast Starter' instructions (you posted in that thread yesterday so I have to presume you actually read it), if you don't understand it (there was no maths in it that you can't do with your fingers) then skip it.

And with such helpful, friendly and positively intended advice such as that, you have the actual nerve to accuse ME of being a troll.

Yep. That's viable.
I stand totally 100% behind that comment, it is not inflammatory, derogatory or trolling, it is totally genuine legitimate helpful and very good advice for a new brewer.
Especially since that quote was preceeded with this one:
All grain brewing does not have to involve liquid yeasts or yeast starters.
Just as kit or kit-and-kilo brewing does not have to involve dry-yeast-sachets

And soon after when you explained how new you were, I said essentially this:

Starters are a complicated thing that you do not need to make good beer - many good home brewers do not use starters, and they find it a complex subject.
Liquid yeast (and hence starters) are much more difficult than using dry yeast - many good home brewers do not use liquid yeast.
Dry yeast can produce great home brewed beer, when using dry yeast you do not need all the complexity of making a starter, or even having to understand or think about it.
Hence:
If you don't understand it then skip it making or even understanding how to make a starter, the starter process, is not something you need to know, learn or do to make good home brewed beer. Give up on the trolling, grab some dry yeast, make a few batches of beer, read some books, understand the basic concepts and then, if you think you want or need to, experiment with liquid yeast, and then consider making a starter (for many people this is a process that takes years if it ever happens).

You have just jumped into the deep-end of the brewing swimming pool without even the concept of how to float, let alone swim. Rather than flail your arms and legs around drowning (which can actually look quite stupid when it's really a serious thing), take a step back to the shallow-end of the pool. Dip your toes safely into brewing pool and don't over-complicate the process, because at that end the water only comes up to your knees (the analogy here is using dry yeast) so you don't need to know how to float (the analogy here is liquid yeast) or swim in water over your head (obviously the analogy here is making a starter) to have a fun and relaxing time (and to make decent beer).

let me start by saying that im not trying to invoke your wrath here.

Quite a few informative links have been posted for you, quite (many of which helped me get started) ALOT of info has been posted for you, (all of which is great info). Many suggestions have been made (mostly ignored)

PLEASE, re-read the thread, follow the links and do the research, understanding cannot be handed to you in 5 minutes but rather it 'grows' over a period of time and right conditions, much like a starter.

Good luck

Karhunkynski,
If you can't follow the advice you have been given, or can't be bothered researching for yourself, why don't you find another hobby that is much easier for you to understand.
You ask questions but you don't listen or comprehend.
Are you one of these people that wants everything handed to you on a plate?

I believe Glen answered your question in the 3rd post.
If he is using termonology you dont understand then educate yourself.
If this is to much of a brain strain, please turn off your computer and go down to Dan Murphy's and buy the advertised special of the week.

Asked for the recipe to "re-culture yeast from taking a bit of brew from the barrel"

Kept being given recipe for yeast starter made from DME.

Just wow.

Your thread is titled Yeast Starters, and you got instructions for making a yeast starter - yep thats just not acceptable.

And to your car analogy, dealing with you basically goes like this

Karhunkynsi: Can you tell me how to drive a manual car
Instructor: First put your foot on the clutch
Karhunkynsi: Ah **** off, your not helping, stop using words like clutch that i don't understand even though i've read every book there is about how cars work.
Instructor: The clutch is the pedal under your left foot, you need to push it in to change gears, if your read a basic car book you'd know that
Karhunkynsi: I did read it, now tell me how to drive a manual car
Instructor: I already told you, first put your foot on the clutch
Karhunkynsi: I said i don't know what clutch is, these terms might be basic to you, but i don't know what it means. Now why can't anyone tell me how to ride a motor cycle
Instructor: I thought you wanted to drive a manual car
Karhunkynsi: *sigh* i never said that, i want to ride a motor cycle but people just keep telling me how to drive a manual car.
Instructor: Ok, well the lever on the right is the clutch
Karhunkynsi: Ah **** you - stop using these technical terms - i didn't grow up around cars so how am i supposed to know what a clutch is.
Instructor: Well heres some books on how a motor cycle works, why don't you read them, they have really good information about what a clutch is.
Karhunkynsi: I already did my research, now why can't you teach me to ride a motor cycle.

edit: forgot the red font

Driving a manual-car is not the analogy I used, driving on the correct side of the road was, and yes that is something that most pre-school children learn by osmosis and not direct learning.
I'd argue that this isn't the case. I'd suggest that most kids learn it standing on the side of the road, holding mum's hand, being told how dangerous the road is and how important it is to look right first when crossing the road.

Some pretty good mums have tried to help you in this thread, Karhunkynsi. Read it again. Actually, forget that - the way this forum works obviously isn't a good fit for you. Join a brew club in your local area and you'll find that you can explain yourself better and accept any advice in the spirit offered (and be less inclined to shit on someone for the assistance they offer).

How about instead of asking questions and then taking major exception with a few paragraphs of ranting over some perceived slight against you, ask questions, take the advice, if you still have questions then articulate them again. This whole thread has gone way way out of proportion due to over-reaction.

At the end of the day this forum is designed to provide advice, not answer every single question that might be raised in your post and I don't think it's right to go off over some perceived lack of answer to a particular part of your question. Take it or leave it.

As others have said find a brew club or accomodating brewer in your local area and turn up to some brewdays and watch over the process. I take it you are the kind of person who learns by doing rather than reading, so get to it and start doing. If you need more information then PLEASE do not start taking exception to some perception of "newbie bashing" and just ask again till you get it.

Another good guide on here about re-using yeast is this - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=3697

Oh yeah, RDWHAHB (Relax, don't worry, have another home brew) B)

found a youtube video that shows you how to make a starter

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has kept me laughing for ages!
I am so impressed how much information all of you guys have given on yeast re culturing, from packet, bottle, dry, vial, reasons, explanations, pictures, videos.:icon_offtopic: .

Just fantastic. Helped me out immensely

Cheers.

"I was under the impression the plan was to take a bit of brew from the barrel"

Question.

Does anyone brew beer in a "Barrel". Just asking because I cant find it anywhere in my literature......
I googled it.
I swear.
I just cant understand this "barrel" jargon.

Sorry Boys.

I am however a "jump in the deep end" kind of person, so I'm kind of keen to just get it all running from the word go. I'm happy to make mistakes. :D

I am the same....... deep end learner.

I started AG brewing after just a few kits. and using liquid yeasts at the same time.

I, as many of the people who have posted useful info in this thread, did so with minimal help because we just jumped in the deep end and made some mistakes, and learnt from them. You have admitted you are happy to do this, so why not just jump in and give it a go?

I take a bit of info from books and the net, and then construct my own way of doing it, to suit what equipment i have and my style of doing things.

If it fails, try and work out why yourself....... its the best way to learn.

You seem to be very good at reading and taking in the text content of the posters and turning it around into confrontation ....... better than most by far. I think you can work out what starters are needed for, and how to make them from the wealth of info out there, and some common sense, deep end style!

just give it a go.

Thankyou kindly, but as I keep trying to tell people, I ran through google, books, the instructionals and a few other bits and pieces and still didn't get it, and couldn't find the recipe for re-using part of your beer to make yeast, which is why I asked the question.

It seems that the fact that I researched it until I got frustrated at a lack of answer and dared to ask means I was punished for not continuing to research. And that asking a question means everyone instantly assumes you DIDN'T research.

Would somebody kindly give me a research benchmark so I don't get my head chewed off next time? Because considering how many afternoons I've spent trying to wrap my head around this shit, I thought I might have been justified in asking a simple question.

So as you can imagine the chip is 100% reactive. If people bite, I bite back. If people are nice, I'm nice back. I'm not going to accept unfair treatment just because somebody is a "forum veteran", nor am I going to bite somebody who's being pleasant. Quid pro quo. :)

Sooky sooky, farkin whinge winge... *Sigh*

Go find another hobby...

Latest posts

Back