Yeast Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
I have just put down a Coopers Mexican Cerveza (well a few days ago), anyways, I bought a satchet of SafLager S-23 Yeast to use instead of the kit provided yeast.

When I brewed it and was adding the SafLager, I thought bugger it, will add the Coopers Yeast too, so I did.

It is brewing at about 10 Deg Celc, so doing the right thing there

Did I do bad by adding both yeasts?

Or won't it matter ?

Seems to be fermenting OK

Your collective expert advice, opinions and or ramblings (if you like) are most welcome.

Cheers

Brownie

The yeast that came with the tin will just sit dormant, It will be fine.

cheers
Andrew

Both yeasts will work, one much slower than the other. As the lager yeast likes lower temp there will be a fair amount of dormant ale yeast left after larger fermentation. Be careful if you intend bottling!

if the lager yeast is left to do it's job, then the ale yeast won't be a problem at bottling time. After all it doesn't matter if it's an ale or lager yeast, at bottling temps they are both active and any residual sugars will ferment out. So just ferment as usual, give a bit of a diacetyl rest at 18c if you are worried, rack and drop temp to clear. all will be fine.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Back