Yeast Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyyu

Reaction score
a little while ago i gave my son in law a hand with his first brew and it prematurely stopped fermenting. to cut a long story short ,i chucked another pkt of yeast in the brew and it fermented out. tasted on weekend and there is a strong taste of apples.could this be from the yeast . coopers pale ale.standard coopers yeast and yeast from coopers mex.
thank you. :icon_cheers:

What was the recipe? You mentioned he used a tin of Coopers Pale. Waht else did he use? IF he simply added 1kg of sugar, this is probably the source of your apple taste.

One of the common negative tastes attributed to home brew is cidery (is this what your tasting?) and this comes from the simple sugars used in fermentation. If so the next step would be to use a pack of BE2 brew enchancer, or even better swing by a home brew shop and grab a few Kgs of Light Dried Malt Extract. USe this instead of sugar and you'll get a much better tasting beer.

There is also an infection that tastes like green apples, but i can't remember enough about it know to comment.

Cheers SJ

Another common cause is fermentation temperature being too high. Poor yeast healt also plays a part. more details here

ta buttersd70 looks like acetaldehyde may be the culprit ,will sample in another fortnight.thanks

Back