Yeast - Mix Or On Top

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suspectinoz

Reaction score
This may be a stupid noob question, but I've seen instructions that say that you should mix in the yeast when you pitch it in and others that state you should leave on top of the wort.

So whats the go, which should I be doing

cheers

Niall

I would think either.

Once the yeast is rehydrated and starts dividing it will spread throughout the wort.

If you're rehydrating the yeast in a little warm water prior to pitching, then all the better.

Trev

I tend to mix; but really think it doesn't matter. My theory is if the yeast is mixed into the brew then its away from the nasties in the air above it. Bar air bad air, get away..... (sory one 2 many homebrews :)

I like to rehydrate mine but i did do the pitch and stir method and that worked a treat to as long as the spoon you stir it in with is clean and sterilized .

either or would be fine IMO :beer:

Delboy

Thanks All

I'm learning as I go, the specific gravity on my first brew is at 1.011 so heading in the right direction

Niall

Chuck a pinch of sugar in with it, and give it about 45 mins and leave the container a little open, you'll have tons of yeast to throw in then and you'll be amazed at how much quicker your airlock starts popping!

Chuck a pinch of sugar in with it, and give it about 45 mins and leave the container a little open, you'll have tons of yeast to throw in then and you'll be amazed at how much quicker your airlock starts popping!

Pitch dry or rehydrate with warm water. DO NOT add sugar, this does not help your yeast.

cheers Ross

Why.

It gives the yeast something to feed on and reproduces so you have a greater amount to throw in your brew and its more active when it hits the wort.

How is this a bad thing? - I am saying like literally a pinch.

I agree with Ross. Steer clear of sugar.
Re-hydrate dry yeast & after about 15 min. feed it with a squirt of wort, repeat in 15 min. leave for further 15 or so min. then pitch.
Jim

Like just about everything else to do with brewing suspectinoz your bound to see a few dif oppinions, try all and see which works for you.

Why.

It gives the yeast something to feed on and reproduces so you have a greater amount to throw in your brew and its more active when it hits the wort.

How is this a bad thing? - I am saying like literally a pinch.

Drew,

Sugar does not have the necessary nutrients & does more harm than good. Rehydration is all you need.

To quote "POL"
"Regular malt has a range of different malt sugars and nutrients and provides a good balanced diet for yeast to multiply and then ferment your wort properly. If there are nutrients missing or too much of certain nutrients, the yeast cannot function properly. The cell walls are damaged, nutrients cannot move through the cell walls, cells cannot multiply, long chain malt sugars are not used."

cheers Ross

I sprinkle on top and give a quick stir....hardly ever re-hydrate.
Cheers
Steve

Okay Ross.

Thanks for that Sugars out!

Always happy to hear about how to improve or stop something I shouldnt be doing.

Cheers.

Re-hydrate dry yeast & after about 15 min. feed it with a squirt of wort, repeat in 15 min. leave for further 15 or so min. then pitch.
Jim

Not directed completely at you Jim, so anyone else feel free to jump in.
If you're using wort to re-hydrate the yeast, do you simply use the wort from the batch you're brewing ? I've heard of people buying cheap kits from the supermarket to start the yeast. Does anyone do this, if so how do they store the kit/wort for extended periods ??

Sorry if I'm wandering off topic :unsure:

Jim

Not directed completely at you Jim, so anyone else feel free to jump in.
If you're using wort to re-hydrate the yeast, do you simply use the wort from the batch you're brewing ? I've heard of people buying cheap kits from the supermarket to start the yeast. Does anyone do this, if so how do they store the kit/wort for extended periods ??

Sorry if I'm wandering off topic :unsure:

I guess there is a fine line between re-hydrating yeast and making a yeast starter. Clearly both are favourable as they speed up the start of the brew's fermentation and reduce the risk of the brew becoming contaminated. I think making a yeast starter is the best option as it not only rehydrates the yeast but also provides nutrients to allow the yeast to reproduce. This means you are adding more viable cells to your brew and thus fermentation should start more quickly.

To make a yeast starter, the best way is to make a small amount of sterile wort (say 500ml) with the same ingriedents you intend to use in your brew. The reason behind doing this, instead of say using a cheap kit from the supermarket, is when you add the starter to your brew the yeast have already adjusted their metabolic function to that environment ie that particular mix of sugars/nutrients and thus will be less shocked when you chuck them into the brew. This can be tricky to do when you are using a mix of dry and liquid sugars. The easy solution is to dissolve about 4 dessert spoons of dry malt extract in 500ml of water. Boil it for 15 mins to kill off any nastys and allow it to cool to about 20 deg. Pour the cooled wort into a sterile bottle/jar ideally one which you can fit an airlock to. Pitch your yeast and give it a good shake. By shaking it your dissolving oxygen into the wort, oxygen is essential for yeast to reproduce efficiently. Won't this create off flavours i hear you say? Not at this stage, its only later on well into the fermentation process that this will occur. Some people wait only a few hours before adding the starter to the brew, I think it's better to leave it longer to allow the yeast to reproduce more. Ideally fit an airlock to the starter jar and let it do its thing for 24-48hrs giving it a good shake when ever you get a chance. After this time the yeast have frantically reproduced and have gobbled up nutrients in the wort and are starving for some more tasty wort. When you add them to your brew they'll think they are in heaven and any brewer knows a happy yeast makes a happy brewer :)

cheers,

martin

Running a home brew shop you get exposed to ALL the problems people have. Based on experience most problems are caused by people cutting corners or just not paying attention for a moment.
You put the spoon down for 1 second, dont see the beer fly and then dip the spoon in the brew. Well malt vinegar works on chips!

To minimise any problems do 1 of 2 things:-

As little as possible - sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort and close the lid immediately.

Make a starter do it properly, dont cut any corners or take any half measures, work to the highest hygiene standards.

The idea of having to hydrate yeast was once valid, we used to use the term Prove or Proof. If the yeast was alive it would foam, proving it was working, back in the dark ages there was a very real chance that the yeast would be dead and you would have to try another packet.

These days the dry yeasts are of such high quality that there is a bigger chance of you or I causing a problem than there is the yeast failing.

MHB

i sprinkle the yeast on top, close the lid and then after approx 15 minutes, pick up the fermenter and give it a good swirl for about 10 seconds (~3 times clockwise & ~3 times anti-clockwise). this way i'm mixing in the yeast without risking infection.

works for me :beer:

For a good dried yeast, rehydration in a cup of luke-warm water for half an hour is all that's required (Liquid yeasts are another story).
A typical 10g sachet of dried yeast (safale for example) should contain between 100-200billion viable cells, complete with nutrient, sufficient for pitching into a 20Ltr wort, without the need for a starter. Obviously this figure will be affected by various factors (storage conditions, age, etc.) so it pays to get your yeast from a good HBS, rather than relying on what's under the plastic cap of the Cooper's can.

What is MOST important (indeed with any yeast) is to facilitate it's metabolic phase by oxygenating the wort, using whatever means available (vigorous stirring for example) before pitching your yeast.

With liquid yeasts, the cell-count is typically MUCH less than this (1-2 billion), and a starter is strongly recommended. Without a starter, the initial cell-growth phase takes a lot longer, and can result in a slow or stuck fermentation, and a greatly increased risk of infection.

If you're really keen on making a good viable starter, do a search on this forum for "magnetic stir plate". You'll see just how seriously many brewers here take this topic!!

Read this very informative article over on Brodies Castle beer forum.

"Dry Yeast Rehydration, its critical!

By Moritz Kallmeyer

Chief Brewer Draymans Microbrewery, Silverton Pretoria, March 2005

Each brand of ADY (active dry yeast) specify its own optimum rehydration temperature, ranging from 35C to 40C. As you drop the strike temp from 40C to 15C the yeast will leach out progressively more of its insides, damaging each cell. The yeast viability thus drops proportionally. At 40C there is 100% recovery of the viable dry yeast while at 15C there can be as much as 60% dead cells. The dried yeast cell wall is very fragile and it is essentially in the first minute, even seconds of rehydration that warm temperature is critical while it is reconstituting its cell wall structure. During these first initial minutes of rehydration, the yeast cell wall can not differentiate what passes through the wall. Materials which is toxic to the yeast at this stage like sugars, hop products and SO2 that the yeast normally can selectively prevent from passing through its cell wall, rush right in and seriously damage the cells. The moment the cell wall is properly reconstituted the yeast can regulate what goes in and out of the cell. This is why the suppliers warn against rehydration in wort, instead of water.

The water should be normal tap water ideally with 250-500ppm hardness present. The hardness is essential for a good recovery. This is the reason why distilled or de-ionized water should never be used. I further prefer the water to be carbon filtered to remove any chlorine and impurities, then boiled to sterilize and force chilled down to the required rehydration temperature. Ideally if you have access to it, the warm rehydration water should contain 0.5-1.0% yeast extract like Go-ferm from Lallamand.

Active dry yeast is dormant or inactive, not inert, so it should be kept refrigerated at all times at around 4C. It will only loose 4% of its activity in a year if kept at this temperature. Remember to remove the package from the refrigerator early on brew day so it can naturally attemperate to the rehydration temperature. This prevents one stressor, temperature shock. I prefer to do the rehydration process in a hygienic polyethylene bucket. The yeast should be sprinkled into 10 times its own weight of rehydration water and gently folded in with a spoon to wet them. Oxygen is not needed at this stage so stirring should be avoided. After sitting for the recommended 15 minutes give it a vigorous whirl then again close the lid of the bucket lightly and leave it for 5 more minutes at the specified rehydration temperature.
Built into each cell by the manufacturer is a large amount of glycogen and trehalose reserves that give the yeast a burst of energy to kick off the growth cycle when it is added to the wort. It is quickly metabolized and used up by the yeast within about 30 minutes of rehydration. There is no damage done to the yeast if it is not added to the main batch of wort within this period of time you just do not get the benefit of that sudden burst of energy and lag times are likely to increase. The rehydrated yeast, being warm, should now be cooled to within 4C of the wort before pitching. This attemperation is done over a brief period by adding in increments, a small amount of cold wort (removed earlier from the kettle and chilled) to the rehydrated yeast container. Rehydrated warm yeast pitched into cold wort will cause many of the yeast cells to produce petite mutants that will never grow or ferment properly and will cause them to produce H2S.

Some ADY manufacturers recommend slightly lower than normal wort aeration while others argue that most ADY yeast actually require no O2 addition for successful, average gravity wort fermentation. There are enough lipids built into the cell at the yeast factory. It will however need O2 addition on the next re-pitching."

Personally, I try & rehydrate whenever possible, especially if brewing a big beer - but sprinkling direct on the wort has never given me a problem.

Cheers Ross

I like to think the companies that make these dried yeast products know a little about what there doing so following the manufacturer's instructions seems to make sense to me.

From the Fermentis (SAF) site:

The yeast can be re-hydrated into a cream prior to pitching or added dry, direct to the fermenting vessel. The goal is to maintain the viability of as many yeast cell as possible. From work done in our laboratories, viability can be enhanced by elevating the temperature of the rehydration stage above the desired fermentation starting temperature (23C 3C for Saflager and 27 3C for Safbrew and Safale) for a short period. Full details are available on the PDF download for each yeast strain.

From the Danstar site:

Pitching Rate: 1g/L

Step 1.

Sprinkle the yeast on the surface of ten (10) times its weight of clean, sterilized (boiled) tap water at 30 - 35C (86 - 95F)
DO NOT STIR !!!
Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes at 30 - 35C (86 - 95F)
Foam or no foam is not an indication of vitality

Step 2.

After 15 minutes stir until all yeast is suspended
Leave undisturbed for another 5 minutes.
Adjust temperature of solution to that of the wort in 10C (18F) steps, by adding small amounts of wort at 5 minutes intervals and mixing gently (ATTEMPERATION)

Step 3.

After attemperation inoculate without delay.
Aeration of wort is not necessary.

Coopers recommend sprinkling straight onto the wort.

Latest posts

Back