Yeast Containers (same As Whitelabs Tubes)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
Hiya all,

Im looking into obtaining a box of these PET preform tubes.
Would like to know if anyone is interested as It may be a bulk buy

Preform Length = 142.5 mm
Preform Body OD = 28.6 mm

These should be nearly Identical to the ones whitelabs use for there yeast
Franko

VPBP009.jpg

I've got a bunch of PP containers waiting for me at the post office :lol: Damn timing.

One thing I'm curious about with the PET containers, will they melt if autoclaved or heated?

I tried filling a 1.5L coke bottle with boiling water on the weekend, and it shrunk quite quickly, distorting the bottle and neck.

Definitely interested. If they're in the same cost vicinity as the coopers bottles or even a little dearer. I could use the extra space.

+1 interested (price needed) and do they come with lids :)

Just got an email back

we can get 5800 units for $130 + GST + transport costs to the door so looks like they could be quite cheap.
still waiting on a email about the caps.

these tubes are what softdrink bottles are formed from

Franko

FWIW I tried to boil a whitelabs tube to sterilise it, it went a misty grey colour but kept its shape. Still in use in the yeast bank though.

Just got an email back

we can get 5800 units for $130 + GST + transport costs to the door so looks like they could be quite cheap.
still waiting on a email about the caps.

these tubes are what softdrink bottles are formed from

Franko

50 for a $1 plus postage ? :huh:

Put me down for 100 off....I'll use them..somewhere :ph34r:

I am certainly interested. Will they be able to take the heat of sterilising though? I know that softdrink bottles dont do too good with the boiling water. If they can be sterilised, then I will be in for sure (cant beat the price), dont know what I will use em for if they cant be.
All the best
Trent

Heya,

i've seen these used for all sorts of purposes,

i have been opting getting the Whitelabs tubes over the Wyeast ones just because
you get a re-useable container!

if this deal goes through, looks like you'll be sending some to perth anyway
so add me to the list,

Cheers Rob.

Ok guys
sounds like theres definate interest.
Im still waiting on the email for the caps and transport cost to get them to me.
when all that is finalised we'll work out the prices and shipping to different parts of the state.

Franko

From the Amcor website.
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)

Use- Especially good for merchandising cold foods, snack items and bakery items. It is used for deli, produce, and catering. It is a good clamshell for sandwiches and used as domes for cakes, pies, and party platters. PET is also good for drinking cups and excellent for frozen foods.

Appearance- PET has high clarity and can be colored.

Properties- PET is durable tough and clear.

Temperature Tolerance- PET has a very low temperature resistance. It starts to melt before 140 and cannot be used in the oven, hot case, or
microwave.

Back