Quantcast

Yeast Cake Questions

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I have an ordinary bitter down, and am running low on beer. I only have one fermenting fridge, so if i rack the beer, and leave it in a room of my house, it will go from 17-18c, to 28c!!. I dont want to do this. I want to rack to 2ndary, put it back in the fridge, keep the primary cake, then pitch new beer on top of the 2ndary yeast cake ( after bottling ). Can i do this?? is there enough yeast in the 2ndary???. If not, could i just add some primary slurry to the 2ndary when i pitch the new beer???

Any advice would be much appreciated :D

Bionic

Reaction score
From what I have heard is that the yeast in the secondary is the slow fermenting yeast.. could be wrong though....

Steve Lacey

Reaction score
Bionic said:
From what I have heard is that the yeast in the secondary is the slow fermenting yeast.. could be wrong though....
[post="49062"][/post]​
Not so much as slow, more that it is biased towards the less flocculant yeast in the population. Either way, I don't think it is recommended to ferment on the slurry from a secondary fermentation. It would be better to clean and sanitize the fermenter after bottling and use some slurry from the primary fermenter, assuming you have looked after it since harvesting.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
I totally agree with steve there, i have had yeast that will refuse to flocculate from the secondary so pretty well don't use that yeast anymore. I use yeast from the primary fermentor all the time though.
Around 250ml of slurry into a couple litres of the fresh wort on brewday then a few hours later pitch it into the main batch. You don't need to make a starter out of it like this i just do it for a bit more piece of mind.
I think it is a good idea to do this for a higher gravity wort though as it gives you the chance to give the yeast more 02 when you pitch it to the main batch insuring you get 4-5 times population growth and insuring good attenuation.

As soon as any yeast shows even the very slightest sign that it is performing differently i would not use it.

Happy brewing!
Jayse

Latest posts