Ya gotta laugh ....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dago001

Move Along - Nuthin To See Here
Reaction score
or you would cry.
Just mashed in with 7.8 kg of Heritage Crystal instead of Maris Otter.
Oh the humanity of it all!!!!!!!

Freeze the wort in Pet bottles and use as crystal additions in your next 25 brews. :huh: :p

Mash as normal, draw of first runnings, boil 10 mins, draw off into suitable containers and freeze.
Only thing I can think of to avoid losing a significant quantity of lovely, lovely heritage.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have drained the wort straight away. It only spent 2 minutes mashing. Ended up with 18 litres of 1040 wort. I'm going to brew with it and see what happens. I think I already know the result but dues to various other circumstances, it's either brew with it or throw it.
I will let you know the results in about 6 weeks.

Was the heritage left over from a TAS BB or did you get it from elsewhere?

No. I bought from Bintani. I buy from them every now and then. Works out reasonably cheaper than buying local. I havent been part of the Tas bulk buys for a while. They don't happen regular enough for me, and I end up having to do an eight hour return trip to Hobart to pick it up. The cost of fuel etc means buying direct is pretty much the same.
I am going to use the LHBS in Launceston now as his prices arent to bad.

Cool. Just researching now I have moved. You get all your grain through bintani generally?

Kind of Manticle.
When I did the bulk buys, I normally bought up big, 8 to 10 bags at a time. I started buying from Bintana about 3, maybe 4 years ago, because I was getting low. Same deal, I buy 8 or so bags at a time. Freight is the killer though. If you can organise your own freight it is cheaper, as Bintani "value add" the freight cost.
In saying that, I also get it delivered to the depot in Burnie, which again is a cost saving.

Hey LB,
Commiserations! Terrible tragedy.
I don't want to further rain on your optimism but I've done I 100% med crystal microbrew (~300ml - putting the micro back into microbrewing!) and it didn't end well. It came out quite harsh and astringent with a very burnt flavour (standard 30min steep at 65*C).
Great for understanding the fundamental flavours the med crystal brings and an appreciating the wonderous "synergy" achieved by blending different flavour elements in brewing.
However, as a 100% grist I'd be a little concerned. Maybe with your superfast mash you might avoid the harshness - fingers crossed.
Could you throw a tin of LME into it? I find LME ferments out to leave a bit more sweetness that might offset the burnt astringency. Fwiw, I found the high % of crystal gives no sweetness. When used in small quantities it creates that caramel type flavour which translates to a certain sweetness.

Could you cube it?

Must of been the day for it. My stuff up wasnt as bad as yours. Commiserations thats a big loss there. After filling the 2 cubes i shut the ball valve...and then proceeded to disconnect the hose from it...with the pump still running. Shot a nice little fountain of wort all over my shed thats gonna take me ages to clean up

I also forgot to put the drain tube into my kettle. Really was the day for it.
I havent brewed for a few months due to a workplace injury. It's amazing how you forget the basics so quickly.
Anyway, drained the wort immediately and added 9 litres of water. I crushed some more grain (a guesstimate) and mashed it with the saved wort.
Checked the SG then hopped it accordingly for a big IPA. SG in the kettle wasn't huge so I will dry hop it to suit if its any good.
The worst thing that can happen is that I brew the best beer that I have brewed. The best thing is he same

You can PM him if you like. His username is zig.

Quote: It actually is pretty decent - good in small quantities, it passes as a very intense stout. Doubt I'd make it again but it isn't a fail by any means.

Well, all I can say is it is very black. So it's now a Double Black IPA. I don't hold out much hope for this, but it is a valuable lesson. I'm going to chuck a heap of hops in it to dry hop it. I'm just going to use up all my bitsa bags of hops.
The worst thing is, I hadn't had a beer. it was just a plain and simple stuff up.

A friend once ordered his grain pre-milled from the HBS, but they got the order arse about and gave him the bulk as crystal, with a small amount of pale malt. He brewed with it before he realised, and it turned out pretty good. I was surprised it fermented out so well!

Here's a reference to some testing of fermentability of crystal malt. (see the last post)

Well the results are in.
I ended up fermenting this with MJ10 workhorse yeast. We went away for 5 weeks on holiday, so I just left it in the shed with a glad wrap lid. Temps wouldnt have been anymore than 10 degrees. I drained it into kegs two days ago and today I put one of them on the beer engine to see what it is like. Turns out it is drinkable. Almost stoutish, so much so that I now wish I had used some Extra Special Malt. It is a little sweet to be a stout, but too bitter for a Porter, but either way, it is good enough to drink. If I could find my brew gear I would measure the SG ( we moved house just before I brewed this and I havent located all my brew stuff yet), as it does seem to have an alcohol smell and burn/taste to it. So I suppose next best method is to drink 4 pints and see how I feel.
I won't be brewing it again, but I'm happy enough that I have something for my efforts. More care needed next brew.
Cheers
LB

LagerBomb said:
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have drained the wort straight away. It only spent 2 minutes mashing. Ended up with 18 litres of 1040 wort. I'm going to brew with it and see what happens. I think I already know the result but dues to various other circumstances, it's either brew with it or throw it.
I will let you know the results in about 6 weeks.
A style is born. I'd suggest dextrose to get OG up to at least 1.046, light hops, English ale yeast, Or maybe add something tart for balance. You're boldly going . . .

Can you brew a pale unhopped ale and blend in the glass?

Latest posts

Back