Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamstringsally

Reaction score
I am going to make a starter with my wyeast sachet which i have just taken out of the fridge and popped inner sachet. Its the first time ive made a starter and was wondering is

could i use a small part cheap can of coopers from the supermarket to use to help get it started or anything else i could use?

Im not going to get the chance to get to a home brew shop in time before brew day and pick up some dried malt extract

damn working long hours at the moment and already buying all my grain by mail

cheers

I am going to make a starter with my wyeast sachet which i have just taken out of the fridge and popped inner sachet. Its the first time ive made a starter and was wondering is

could i use a small part cheap can of coopers from the supermarket to use to help get it started or anything else i could use?

Im not going to get the chance to get to a home brew shop in time before brew day and pick up some dried malt extract

damn working long hours at the moment and already buying all my grain by mail

cheers

What are you making? What is your target OG?

No probs with that hamstringsally. I use 100 gms of tin goo to 1 lt of water to make my starters. Good luck with it.

So long as it's unhopped malt extract not a kit.....................This should give a starter around 1.030 so maybe you will need 120g or so, be sure to boil for 10 min then cool before adding contents of the swollen pack.

Screwy

So long as it's unhopped malt extract not a kit.....................This should give a starter around 1.030 so maybe you will need 120g or so, be sure to boil for 10 min then cool before adding contents of the swollen pack.

Screwy

can you suggest anything else that would be ok screwy

Some Supermarkets sell Light Dried Malt. Do your locals stock it?

They may also sell saunders malt extract (liquid) - probably in the section where treacle, golden syrup, honey etc is sold.

Otherwise milo? (kind of half joking)

They may also sell saunders malt extract (liquid) - probably in the section where treacle, golden syrup, honey etc is sold.

Otherwise milo? (kind of half joking)

just did the run up to the supermarket. the only thing they really had was coopers brew enhancer2. its made up of maltodextrin, light dry malt , and dextrose.

any good?

just did the run up to the supermarket. the only thing they really had was coopers brew enhancer2. its made up of maltodextrin, light dry malt , and dextrose.

any good?

I reckon that'll be fine... only reason you can't use kits are because the hops retard yeast growth (think I remember them discussing on the brewstrong podcast that the hops coat the yeast cell walls and stop them from multiplying), and sugars alone don't provide the nutrients yeast require.

I make starters using no chill wort (contains hops) and they work fine. Normally I start with DME, then gradually add in the wort but recently I made one from scratch with the wort - firing within a small time frame.

I have no doubt that brewstrong is right - hops might retard growth but by how much and how significant is it in the homebrewing scheme of things? How different is it to adding a pack of dry yeast straight to a hopped wort?

I am not claiming my very limited experience negates either others' experience or brewing science - just hoping to both contribute my experience and learn why it may bot be the best thing.

I make starters using no chill wort (contains hops) and they work fine. Normally I start with DME, then gradually add in the wort but recently I made one from scratch with the wort - firing within a small time frame.

I have no doubt that brewstrong is right - hops might retard growth but by how much and how significant is it in the homebrewing scheme of things? How different is it to adding a pack of dry yeast straight to a hopped wort?

I am not claimigng my very limited experience negates either other's experience or brewing scinec - just hoping to both contribute my experience and learn why it may bot be the best thing.

Nah, I reckon you're absolutely right Manticle... I've had no problems making starters with hopped wort before and only started using DME after listening to the podcast.

I reckon that'll be fine... only reason you can't use kits are because the hops retard yeast growth (think I remember them discussing on the brewstrong podcast that the hops coat the yeast cell walls and stop them from multiplying), and sugars alone don't provide the nutrients yeast require.

Of course it will work, it's just not ideal. Just like making a starter with sugar will work, just not ideal.

I guess my question is - does it retard yeast growth to the extent it may be considered a problem for HB? Is it a matter of 3%, 10%, 25%, 30+% etc?

Then how does it compare with the idea that yeast attunes itself to a particular beer profile and using an active starter in a beer attuned to 300g of DME in a stout at 1061 is also not ideal? Which is more or less ideal?

Is it better to make unhopped starter of a different profile or hopped of the same?

Screwy
What the ? I use coopers kit goo and its been a winner ? what your concern with coopers kits ? I remove all the goo before pitching, I wouldnt put that crap in my beer B)
GB

What the ? I use coopers kit goo and its been a winner ? what your concern with coopers kits ? I remove all the goo before pitching, I wouldnt put that crap in my beer B)
GB

Ditto, been using Homebrand/ Coles goo for years.

BB

GB

Pretty sure that Grumpys build up a smack pack by making a 23L batch of beer using their hopped extracts and then dump that into the fermenter at high krausen. Or they did a few years back when they had a shop as i asked once what they were brewing.

Pretty sure that Grumpys build up a smack pack by making a 23L batch of beer using their hopped extracts and then dump that into the fermenter at high krausen. Or they did a few years back when they had a shop as i asked once what they were brewing.

I always add hops. Reduces boil overs when i'm boiling the starter and also helps discourage the growth of bacteria. I'm sure the negative effects of hops are limited.

I recall someone telling me that MG did that exact same thing. I have no first hand knowledge. Whether they do it nowadays is another thing.

Latest posts

Back