Wyeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure that Grumpys build up a smack pack by making a 23L batch of beer using their hopped extracts and then dump that into the fermenter at high krausen. Or they did a few years back when they had a shop as i asked once what they were brewing.
My main concern other than tainting my all grain beer with goo is the fact that most (stir plate) starter's are that oxidised from aeration that it would ruin a fresh ferment. Hence my draining of goo and only pitching the yeast.
GB
ED (SP)

I made a starter with some of that Saunders Malt extract, saved meself a few dollar... (Jees, feel like Bribie now!). Considered hopping it, couldn't be bothered, although part of the consideration was to produce a starter with specific enzymes for my beers sugar profile... but when you make the starter before making the wort (generally)...

I always pour off the liquid and just pitch the slurry, have you tasted the starter liquid!!!

so for a 2 litre starter would that be referring to slurry or liquid as well do you think?

It refers to the total volume - 2 litres of slurry would be massive

cool. well i managed to get a hold of some light dry malt extract from big w today and boiled 2 litres of water and added half cup of malt and put into a 5 litre container and added wyeast. going to keep it in my fermenter fridge till sunday at 18.5deg and then pitch into my fresh wort after a day of brewing my first attempt at a strong belgian ale.

remember to carefully tip the liquid out when you're ready, just pitch the whitish slurry - when you tip, leave about a cup of liquid to swish round and suspend the yeast, it makes it easier to pour...

remember to carefully tip the liquid out when you're ready, just pitch the whitish slurry - when you tip, leave about a cup of liquid to swish round and suspend the yeast, it makes it easier to pour...

added wyeast to 2 litres of boiled water a a 3rd of a cup of dried malt. being in the fridge at 18 deg overnight and today. got hope thinking id see some action but nothing! there is pressure build up but thats it. how long does it take to see something or do i have a dud?

Pressure build up suggests something has happened or is happening. Because it is not a full batch of beer, you can't expect to see the same amount of krausen develop. A starter can ferment out with very small visible signs depending on the yeast and the wort. Blink and you'll miss it.

You could take a gravity reading of the top beer (don't put it back in) and see if it's fermented at all.

Honestly I rarely get any visual signs with my starters, the only times I really do is when I shake the crap out of it. You have pressure build up, that's good. Sometimes if you hold it up to the light then you'll see some small bubbles rising inside the flask/bottle/container, also a good sign

thats all cool but where does the slurry come from everyone talks about? ive been hydrating yeast before pitching it and within an hour its foaming and creating a slurry of some sort and foam type on the surface. keen as to pitch it on sunday afternoon after the day of brewing and just dont want to pitch a dud. it is the first time ive had a crack at a wyeast starter so open to everyones advice

Honestly I rarely get any visual signs with my starters, the only times I really do is when I shake the crap out of it. You have pressure build up, that's good. Sometimes if you hold it up to the light then you'll see some small bubbles rising inside the flask/bottle/container, also a good sign
"if you hold it up to the light then you'll see some small bubbles rising inside the flask/bottle/container, also a good sign"This is the best simple indication that its all happening, you may get a small krausen but bubbles are the best indicator other than a gravity check.You can also tell by a drop in pH but I think that is beyond most novice brewers.
GB

thats all cool but where does the slurry come from everyone talks about? ive been hydrating yeast before pitching it and within an hour its foaming and creating a slurry of some sort and foam type on the surface. keen as to pitch it on sunday afternoon after the day of brewing and just dont want to pitch a dud. it is the first time ive had a crack at a wyeast starter so open to everyones advice

My advice is get yourself some appropriate back up yeast. If you must pitch on a certain day you can use the dried.

Meanwhile, stick with the starter - if it gets to the point where you need to use the dried, the liquid can be refrigerated and the cell count should be much higher so next time you use it it should be ok (presuming it's not dead).

Patience in all things brewing is good.

Like I said though - as with a ferment you're worried hasn't started - measure the gravity. If the gravity has dropped then the yeast has fermented the wort and in doing so, will have made more yeast. Add more DME and boiled water and repeat the process - you will get slurry.

Theres nothing like pH drop or temp climb to let you know you are all good!

Scotty
Its been that bloody cold here ATM ,you would have to measure degree's in Nano increments. Good thing is I am doing my run of lager propagations and this is the time for it . In spring/summer I will be well stocked with fine lagers and Pilsners :icon_cheers: Going to do some real Ales in a cube as well ala Scotty style :beerbang:
GB

I made a starter with some of that Saunders Malt extract, saved meself a few dollar... (Jees, feel like Bribie now!). Considered hopping it, couldn't be bothered, although part of the consideration was to produce a starter with specific enzymes for my beers sugar profile... but when you make the starter before making the wort (generally)...

I always pour off the liquid and just pitch the slurry, have you tasted the starter liquid!!!

i always taste the starter dregs to see if it is infected.

Latest posts

Back