Wyeast Sweet Mead Yeast Is 1084?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A decade or so ago there was talk that the Dry Mead was the same as EC1118, so I split a batch of Raspberry Melomel and did half with each, chalk and cheese, the one with the Dry Mead went on to win a national gold medal, the other never quite made it past very drinkable.
Its easy to toss an opinion around on the internet, but I would be very careful placing too much weight on it unless the author can give some supporting information. Not directly related to the Sweet Mead discussion but based on experience a good mead yeast isnt the same as a good wine or ale yeast for that matter.
MHB

A decade or so ago there was talk that the Dry Mead was the same as EC1118, so I split a batch of Raspberry Melomel and did half with each, chalk and cheese, the one with the Dry Mead went on to win a national gold medal, the other never quite made it past very drinkable.
Its easy to toss an opinion around on the internet, but I would be very careful placing too much weight on it unless the author can give some supporting information. Not directly related to the Sweet Mead discussion but based on experience a good mead yeast isnt the same as a good wine or ale yeast for that matter.
MHB
That's pretty much my thoughts. Hence we wait with baited breath for wyeast's answer.
Also good to get some feedback from actual tests

Wyeast rang me this morning in reply to my email requesting info on the sweet mead strain. I can confirm 100% that the sweet mead strain is not 1084.

Cheers Ross

Wyeast rang me this morning in reply to my email requesting info on the sweet mead strain. I can confirm 100% that the sweet mead strain is not 1084.

Cheers Ross

Excellent, thanks Ross, they hadn't replied to my email.

Ross to the rescue once again. Cheers Ross

Now to get the word out to the other brewing websiteS like brewboard

For the sake of completeness, here's the reply I got from Wyeast:

James,

The strains are banked and propped as two separate strains here. The sweet mead is an ale strain.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
P.O. Box 146
Odell, OR 97044 USA
Phone: 541-354-1335 Fax: 541-354-3449
[email protected]
www.wyeastlab.com

Not the definitive answer that Ross got, it's actually quite ambiguous. You can bank the same strain as two different ones quite easily. I do trust that Ross got a definitive answer though.

I do wonder which ale strian it is?

James

James,

Yes, 2 different strains, I pushed Jess for a definitive answer after a similar reply.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back