Wyeast "fat Tire" Yeast...anyone Use It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgrave Brewer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm brewing an Amber tomorrow and will be using the Wyeast Fat Tire yeast strain that is in limited release. Has anyone used it? I found very little online or at the Wyeast website regarding Yeast attenuation, floculation and temperature range.

One thing I did find interesting is that NBB slowly raises the fermentation temperature when brewing Fat Tire to prevent some bad flavours that the yeast can produce during the beginning of fermentation. Link

Any info would be helpful.

Cheers,
BB

OK, I found this on a website:

Apparent attenuation: 73-77%.
Flocculation: low.
Optimum temp: 65-72 F

Hey Belgrave,

Haven't used it myself but have a pack sitting in my kegging fridge atm. Will be interested to hear your feedback after usage.

1792 Fat Tire Ale Yeast. This eagerly-anticipated Wyeast VSS release is the proprietary strain used by New Belgium Brewery in their cult favorite Fat Tire Amber Ale. Apparent attenuation: 73-77%. Flocculation: low. Optimum temp: 65-72 F

Is this what you were after?

reVox

Looks like you got it :lol:

So are you brewing an amber with this yeast, or are you going for a fat-tire clone?
I can't stand the burnt biscuity flavour fat-tire's presented as of late. Fat tire of yesteryear was a totally different beast.

How many years since you've had one?

Chuck your recipe up if you don't mind.

reVox

Hey Belgrave,

Haven't used it myself but have a pack sitting in my kegging fridge atm. Will be interested to hear your feedback after usage.

1792 Fat Tire Ale Yeast. This eagerly-anticipated Wyeast VSS release is the proprietary strain used by New Belgium Brewery in their cult favorite Fat Tire Amber Ale. Apparent attenuation: 73-77%. Flocculation: low. Optimum temp: 65-72 F

Is this what you were after?

reVox

Yeah, for the most part. I had to add this yeast to BeerAlchemy so wanted to get the info correct. Thanks! :)

I'm curious to know if anyone has used it (including you reVox) and if they had anything positive or negative to say about the strain.

Cheers,
BB

Looks like you got it :lol:

So are you brewing an amber with this yeast, or are you going for a fat-tire clone?
I can't stand the burnt biscuity flavour fat-tire's presented as of late. Fat tire of yesteryear was a totally different beast.

How many years since you've had one?

Chuck your recipe up if you don't mind.

reVox

No, I'm brewing an Amber with this yeast. I'll chuck the recipe up once I have finalised it, still doing some tweaking.

BB

I've now used it 2x and am a big fan. It is used for Fat tyre's amber which is a fantastic drop. Previously I have always used Wyeast NW ale yeast for all my AAA's due to the good attenuation and hop character it leaves but after trying Fat Tyre I am not going back. I have also used it once in a APA which I still haven't had yet. But I find it a great yeast with a massive rapid ferment. All over in a couple of days. That is even with the big % AAA's I like to brew ~7%. The only down side it it doesn't drop out quickly and I've found that cold crashing works great otherwise you have to wait about a week and a 1/2 for it to drop out of suspension. The cold crash after 5 days has been my best experience.
Regards
Lee

Good to hear that sort of feedback on this yeast. I have a pack in the fridge but won't use it for a month or two yet. I have brewed the Fat tyre clone, from NorthernBrewer website, with a trappist yeast and enjoyed it heaps. :D

Thanks for the info leeboy!

I did read that some had a very violent fermentation in the beginning while others found is very slow, might be based on what style they were using it in.

I'll probably leave in primary for 10 days then rack to secondary for 2 weeks.

Cheers,
BB

I alwaus culture up from the smackpack before use to pitch more yeast. I am a firm believer in pitching a bit to much to get a rapid start to a big beer. The more yeast cells the better to munch thorough all the sugars. So I would recommend that and eveen a blow off tube if desired. The cold crashing is also in my AAA a key to get great clarity to really emphasis the amber/red character.

Yeah, I have not cultured yeast yet and know that I should be doing it as I am under pitching, not by much, but enough to make some people cringe. I've been reading up and it's next on my list of things to tackle.

I always use a blowoff tube to start as I ferment in glass carboys and don't have a great deal of headspace.

I have no issues with clarity as 21-24 days left to ferment really clears things up. I have not tried cold crashing yet, might be another thing for me to look into.

Cheers,
BB

Getting more yeast is easy. Get a long neck and a bung with airlock. Disolve about 100g DME in warm water pour in bottle then pour in yeast. Let ferment then you have about 50% extra to pitch with.

I also use glass carboys so use a blow off tube.

cold crash is great just add fermenter to fridge for 2 days.
Lee

For anyone interested, I heard back from Wyeast this morning. :D

Fat Tire - Wyeast 1792

Alcohol to 11%
This will produce a low ester profile,
mild fruitiness with a slight citrus note if fermented cool, 60-66
deg.F.

Apparent attenuation: 73-77%.
Flocculation: med/low.
Optimum temp: 60-72 F

Cheers,
BB

BB, how did this brew go?

I have this strain in the fermenter at the moment.

Jeeze, well I finally got around to using this strain. Smack and swell was fine, albeit slow. Got it into a 1L/step to 3L starter in glass demijohn.. let it work thru for the better part of a week, pitched to 46L@18C. Had immediate (like in under 30 minute :eek: ) activity in my blowoff catch jar.. I thought, wait.. this just isn't possible.. fired right off like pitching cake.

Fermed at 18C for 3 weeks primary, upped to 19C 3 days, 20C for an additional week.. and it's still bloody chugging along at 20C! Grabbing a bubble every 30 seconds or so.

It's almost as sloooow as the 3944. I think it's time for secondary or spunding.

Anyone have their attenuation figures on this yeast?

reVox

Back