Wyeast 3068 (weihenstephan) Ass Like Sulphur Smell

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djneli

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan) is my hands down favourite Wheat yeast and I've made over 20 brews with it. This time round however I've let the temps slip a little and have been holding about 20/21 (normally I am in the vacinity of 24). Anyway the fermentor has quite an ass-sulphur smell coming from the top and the kraussen has fallen off way too soon (1022) - just wondering if anyone has seen something similar with this yeast or I might have introduced an infection? The SG bottle sample tastes OK albeit a little lingering...

Apparently it is quite common with 3068 to have that kind of rotting egg/sulphur smell. Not sure why it's only the first time in 20 brews. According to others it should disappear by the end of fermentation and turn out fine. Doesn't sound like an infection. I also had some ass smelling W34/70 last week which is also common for that yeast. It's also a weihenstephan strain so maybe something in common with those yeasts?

i did find that at the end of my ferment there was an average smell coming out when i syphoned off to my corny(i suspected an infection/ i brewed at 19c). however i dont beleive theres much of a link between 34/70 and 3068 as ones an ale and the other is a lager. ive been informed to ferment between 18 - 20c with this yeast - 18 for more cloves 20 for more banana. your previous ferments at 24, i imagine is why youve noticed a difference. let us know the taste difference in the final product. :icon_cheers:

Using this yeast for the first time for my first wheat beer! Just poked into the fermenting fridge and no such smells yet. Sitting at 18 give or take a degree.

Sorry I can't help but I am excited after all I have heard about this yeast with these sorta beers. :)

With titles like that you should write for wyeast.

I'm waiting for Bum to reply to this thread so I can take a screenshot of the "All Latest Threads" panel.

"Excuse me Mr home brew shop person, i'm after a lager yeast that smells sulfury"

"Oh do you want the one that smells like a dead horse or the one that smells of arse?"

lol - put on a lager the other day and stank out the laundry with hydrogen sulfide, wife was NOT amused

Back