Wyeast 1469 W. Yorkshire

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technocat

Reaction score
Put down a TTLL few days back, first time I have tried this recipe and used 1469. It fired up ok after 24 hours @ 20C and into the third day it really took off foaming through the airlock and making one hell of a mess. Cleaned up fitted new airlock and it seemed to settle down. Everything has been fine burping away for over the last 24 hours then last night it took off again, bloody foam all over the place and setting like a geletine outside the fermenter. (haven't been game to open the lid and have a look inside yet), although no off flavour smell that I can detect. Temps been static at 20C.
I have used many styles of yeast over the past but never come across one as so vigorous and aggresive as the 1469
West Yorkshire. I guess there have been many of you guys out there that have used this strain and I am curious to know whether this is normal behavior for this particular strain.

Cheers

If it crawled out of the fermenter in the middle of the night and robbed you, I wouldn't be surprised. If you repitch it, it's even more agressive. Then, you need to keep a baseball bat handy so you can beat it back into submission.

God I love this yeast....

Ok I get the message but I will have to sub my trusty 12gauge for a baseball bat. Maybe I could use it for shaving cream.

It will take off when you least expect it.
One of my batches fermented for about 3 days, then I thought it had gone to sleep.
Roused the yeast, and it had crawled out of the fermenter overnight.
And all of that happened at only 19.5C.

The yeast comes from a brewery that still uses traditional open style fermenters - Yorkshire squares and is a true top cropper. Understanding how fermentation dynamics differ when using this style of fermentation vessel goes a long way towards understanding the yeast.

It is a fantastic yeast and offers a lot of areas of experimentation rarely done in homebrewing. The rewards for experimenting with this yeast are rich.

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_brewe..._yorkshire.html

Tell me about it

Pumpy

Monster2.jpg

The Yorkshire Stone Square system has been going for about 200 years. The yeast is designed to ferment at between 15.5 degrees and 15 degrees, considerably cooler than the Southern brewing yeasts. It hates to convert sugars to alcohol and needs to be beaten back into the wort and aerated frequently to start off with. I whack mine around once a day but in the couple of UK breweries still using the system they do it every few hours using pumps. The squares themselves are double -walled and attemperating water is pumped through
the gap to raise and lower the temps at various stages and they are spot on to the nearest fraction of a degree. Amazing industrial process for the early 19th century.

http://www.merchantduvin.com/pages/5_brewe..._yorkshire.html

Butters posted that higher temps push the esters nicely but if fermenting over 16 degrees watch out for gushers :eek: Due to the almost lager yeast temps I rarely get one from grain to bottle in less than 3 weeks but it's worth the wait. :icon_drool2:

Thanks fella's forewarned is forearmed I only had around 19L in a 23L container so it had a bit of head space, not quite as bad as Pumpy's but still a wild brew and like warra says unpredictable.

Interesting read Kirem

I WAS going to do the landlard with the recommend west yorkshire yeast...but from this thread, I think I might go the british cask ale instead :mellow:

I WAS going to do the landlard with the recommend west yorkshire yeast...but from this thread, I think I might go the british cask ale instead :mellow:
Oh, no no no....don't take this as a bad thing. Just as something to be aware of. 1469 is a brilliant yeast. My absoute favourite. You just need to keep a leash on it. ;)

I'm glad I read this thread as well. I pitched some of this on Sunday with my TT Landlord clone.

I'm feeling relieved it's only 33 litres in a 60 litre fermenter. Plenty of room for expansion :beerbang:

I better check on it tonight though, just to be safe.

It's currently fermenting at 18 degrees - should I push it up to 20?

Jez

For reasons given above I would tend to keep it at 18 or even drop to 16 if you can stand the suspense :p

although, the TTL needs the esters....It's a big part of it's character. With the TTL, theres FA else there. ;)

TTLL is a Yorkshire beer so for authenticity stick with the 1469. Can't say how mine will turn out but smells ok so it must be getting there. If I can't get a beer past my nose then it's a dud IMO.

I've used 1469 a few times now and I've never had one try to crawl out the fermenter. It gets a thick layer of yeast on it that I top cropped yesterday. I'm not complaining mind you, just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

The beers taste amazing and the fermentation goes well with quite good attenuation normally. I just don't get exploding fermenters.

although, the TTL needs the esters....It's a big part of it's character. With the TTL, theres FA else there. ;)

What?

TTL is a wonderfully hoppy, complex brew when fresh on cask. Has a pretty damn good malt backbone with strong bitterness both in the start and finish. Esters play a part, particularly in the aroma, but there is certainly not "FA else" there.

If it's badly kept in the cellar it does becomes an ester bomb, and it's certainly a finicky beer to get right compared to many.

The recommended temp range for WY1469 is 18c to 22c.
I wouldn't personally ferment at 15 to 16c, prefering 20c to get the beautiful esters happening, with a rise to 22c after a few days. You really risk this yeast going to sleep at low temps.
The yeast they are using at Sam Smiths is a different strain & I'm suspecting has different fermentation characteristics.

Cheers Ross

Edit: Nice link by the way Kirem - A thoroughly interesting read.

Oh, no no no....don't take this as a bad thing. Just as something to be aware of. 1469 is a brilliant yeast. My absoute favourite. You just need to keep a leash on it. ;)

Ok, done. Started to make a starter off a slant from DrSmurto's TTL from the case swap he gave me...first time making a starter from a slant, so lets see how it goes. Brewed the Landlord yesterday and it is in no chill atm, until the starter is ready (and a fermenter is free).

I will post here how the yeast goes...have a temp controlled fridge - thinking of starting it at 20 degrees and then dropping it back to 19 - so it doesn't go too mental on me!

Cheers
Phil

The recommended temp range for WY1469 is 18c to 22c.
I wouldn't personally ferment at 15 to 16c, prefering 20c to get the beautiful esters happening, with a rise to 22c after a few days. You really risk this yeast going to sleep at low temps.
The yeast they are using at Sam Smiths is a different strain & I'm suspecting has different fermentation characteristics.

Cheers Ross

Edit: Nice link by the way Kirem - A thoroughly interesting read.

Sams is at Tadcaster which is a long way from West Yorkshire. They usually get the car serviced and four new tyres before making the trip :p

Edit: I'm going to use it with that Halcyon, will ferment it in my ales area and try 20 to 22 this time.

I brewed a double batch of Dr. Smurto's TTLL clone on Sunday and per my normal procedure affixed my jumbo blowoff tubes to my carboys. By Tuesday the fermentation had settled right down with no more foam coming out of the tubes but I didn't have the time to remove the tubes until yesterday. Tubes out, airlocks in, which were promptly filled with yeast. So I dumped them, resanitised them, and put them back. So far I've had to dump & clean them another 4 times in less than 24 hours.

I tell ya, the finished beer better be worth this effort. ;)

Latest posts

Back