Wort Clarity Out Of Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So let me get this straight.... No need to vorlauft? No need to wait until the first runnings come clear? Just run it straight in?

Not for me. I'll run 5-10 litres through until it runs clear. It costs nothing, takes 2-3 minutes, and it gives me piece of mind. I would guess there is a reason that this has been done for centuries... but You go ahead and skip this step, I'm sure it will enhance your beer.... Or not.

Or not, well, i have a heap of placings at state level and have placed in the national, so it is not doing my beer any harm. Going by your way of thinking, No-chill should not work, BIAB should not work, the proof is in the pudding.

When I do a vorlauf I bring a few litres at a time to the boil, as soon as hot break appears the boiled wort is run back through.
I continue this until mash temps are in the mid 70*'s, then I run wort to kettle.

tdh

Plausible tdh, my only worry would be the wort darkening by boiling such shallow volumes? That said if it works for you I'm a believer.

Warren -

Yes, it does darken, but f**k all your honour.
Certainly no more than a double decocted mash.
I like to think I'm leaving some of the hot break in the mash.

tdh

I like to think I'm leaving some of the hot break in the mash.

Much of my brewing knowledge works this way. I like to think that when I do *this* or *that*, the results are good or bad and so I continue to do *this* or discontinue doing *that*. It depends on how you want to approach your brewing, but for me currently that is as good a way as any because it avoids any unnecessary science and inconvenient truths.

I reckon brewers like clear liquids into their kettle because it gives them something to do, ie: work on making the runnings clear. I do not think it makes any difference to the final product. I've not read anything that convinces me otherwise.

I do speak as someone who boils clouds, though.

Or not, well, i have a heap of placings at state level and have placed in the national, so it is not doing my beer any harm. Going by your way of thinking, No-chill should not work, BIAB should not work, the proof is in the pudding.

I think it is important to get a clear run-off into your kettle. Why? - Any haze at this point is probably just small grain particles/flour who's core may containing unconverted starches. Denature the enzymes and beat these particles around for an hour in a rolling boil your bound to release some starches that IMO affect flavour and clarity in finished beer.

It sounds like browndog knows what he's on about. 'bein a place better n all' - I'd go with his advice.

...But If you've got the time and system to give clear running a go, try it for yourself. I did :)

Sparge Long & Boil Hard

Asher

I have boiled cloudy beer and very clear beer with no major differences.
My question is what happens if some bigger pieces of grain get into the boil?
I have just finished brewing a wheat beer, 50% Wheat malt, 45% Golden Promise and 5% Caramalt and ended up with my first serious stuck sparge. Whilst unblocking the mash tun allot of grist got through and into the kettle. I usually only have 1-1.5L trub, todays was more like 3L.

Drew

Back