Worst Comerical Beer You Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll put a vote in for tooheys red but I once was unlucky enough to get a very out of date guiness - tangy!!

what is it with Aussie wheat beers - wheat in a beer does not a wheat beer make.

Wrong yeast %$&*heads

lou
You're thinking of German wheat beers. Beers like Redback etc are American wheat beers.

Roger Protz advises that Redback is a hefeweizen. It was that way when last I tasted it.

I may have said this before, but I was offered some Resch's Real by a mate, and could only manage a few before my gut starting churning and a got a headache. I had a couple of my beers to get rid of the taste. Next morning, we made an extract-based bitter with W1056 and some fresh hops. That was a nice beer, when I tasted it about 4-5 weeks later.

Seth :p

I'm with Jazzman Southwark Bitter is one of the better ones I've tried. Being a Sandgroper emu export has gone down hill dramatically since they changed the recipe in the early 90's. BUT the champion for me is Toohey's Red which was drunk by many kiwi's at my local rugby club. It was actually chosen over Steinlager which I think is a nice drop!

Roger Protz advises that Redback is a hefeweizen. It was that way when last I tasted it.

As far as I'm aware Redback is a german style wheat beer. Not a hefe but a crystal as hefe would be cloudy.
The last Redback I had was not cloudy.

And the worste commercial beer i had was a sweetheart stout. And another i wasnt keen on was a German smoked beer. I tried one and didnt mind it but I tried a different brand second time around and poured it down the drain. It was very over powered with smoked flavour not as mellow as I would have liked.

Well one thing is certain....everyones tastes and opinions vary. "One mans poison....."

I dont know why VB gets such a bagging. Although I hardley touch Commercial beers anymore, I dont find VB repulsive. However I drank it for about 25 years before finding "Craft brewing". Maybe Im just use to it.

Am shocked to hear someone doesnt like LCPA. I would have put it near, if not at the top of my favs.

Pure Blonde was pretty bad.

Probably the most dissappointing (Not worst ever) was a microbrewery beer. I ordered it at a restaurant near the brewery . By the time I got it I was salivating aaaand theeeen.......nothing. It was watery and weak. That was Red hill brewery Golden Ale and the Red Hill brewery Scotch Ale (I even gave a second bottle a go). I was soooo dissappointed. It wasnt bad. Just a bit like going to a movie that has been hyped up only to find your expectations were too high I think.

Also had four different beers at St Arnous recently. Three I loved. One I could finish past halfway. I think it was the St Cloud. Just not at all my taste. My Friend couldnt finish hisone either so we just moved onto the next.

Now I dont know if Im going to get a bagging here or not, but a couple of beers that everyone seems to think are "the best" that I cannot drink (I feel nauseous) is Stella atois and Boags. I use to feel left out. Now I know what Im drinking is just better.

:party:

Worst beer i've ever drunk would have to be fosters lager when it was still readily available all those years ago. Worst hangover from a beer would have to be tiger when visiting my bro in singapore.

(On a tangent , if anyone goes to singapore, you'll be shocked by the price of beer (alcohol and fags). Head down to Brewerks at Boat Quay(nice little microbrewery). cheap lunch and cheap pints ($2 a few years ago) all afternoon. Only time i managed to get my bro pissed. :party:

cheers
iceman

Good Day
VB chemicals cause a nasty dry feeling at the back of my nose after a few sips, dreadful stuff.
The worst is Fosters around Christmas time when they were pushing it out way too fast, swamp aroma, light sewage flavour, great if you like sulphur.

Well one thing is certain....everyones tastes and opinions vary. "One mans poison....."

I dont know why VB gets such a bagging. Although I hardley touch Commercial beers anymore, I dont find VB repulsive. However I drank it for about 25 years before finding "Craft brewing". Maybe Im just use to it.

Am shocked to hear someone doesnt like LCPA. I would have put it near, if not at the top of my favs.

Pure Blonde was pretty bad.

Probably the most dissappointing (Not worst ever) was a microbrewery beer. I ordered it at a restaurant near the brewery . By the time I got it I was salivating aaaand theeeen.......nothing. It was watery and weak. That was Red hill brewery Golden Ale and the Red Hill brewery Scotch Ale (I even gave a second bottle a go). I was soooo dissappointed. It wasnt bad. Just a bit like going to a movie that has been hyped up only to find your expectations were too high I think.

<snip>

I'd second that. I can drink most beers if they don't have rafts of mold or mosquito lave swiming in them.

That said I've just found a new "Worst Beer Ever"

Brahma.

I don't usally heap crap on the megaswill beers but this is nasty, cheap piss.
I was given one for free. My friend said he didn't like it either & I can see why. No flavour, or rather a weak sweet cordial taste with no hop scent either.

The warning signs were all there;

-Clear Glass curve shaped bottle.
-Fancy foil lable on the neck only.
-Imported by LN/CUB & made in Brazil.

Needed a homebrew to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Folks

I don't like to speak ill of a microbrewed beer but I got a 6 pack of Chopper Heavy as part of a tasting pack. Yea gods that stuff is awful. Taks an ordinary (very ordinary) megaswill lager. Bump it up to 6%. Don't add any extra hops. remove any malt character. Add a nasty cidery taste (guess they hit that 6% with sugar rather than malt). Stick Choppers face on the label as a gimick.

I gave the other 5 bottles to my brother in law. He drinks carlton cold. Should be just right for him.

Cheers
Dave

I don't like to speak ill of a microbrewed beer but I got a 6 pack of Chopper Heavy as part of a tasting pack. Yea gods that stuff is awful. Taks an ordinary (very ordinary) megaswill lager. Bump it up to 6%. Don't add any extra hops. remove any malt character. Add a nasty cidery taste (guess they hit that 6% with sugar rather than malt). Stick Choppers face on the label as a gimick.

Sounds alarmingly close to Carlsberg Elephant Beer. :eek:

Warren -

Sounds alarmingly close to Carlsberg Elephant Beer. :eek:

Warren -

:lol: Oh yeah, the ol' 'Elephant Beer'... That is one nasty tasting brew. Why do they do it????? :eek:

Shawn.

It's a very popular type of pseudo-style in some European countries (particularly Holland). Affectionately known as "Headbanger Lagers" ... I think it's sort of fuel for thought (oxymoron) for soccer hooligans. :blink:

Warren -

XXXX Gold !!
Get a bad beer, water it down, YEEERCH
icon8.gif

Worst beer i've ever drunk would have to be fosters lager when it was still readily available all those years ago. Worst hangover from a beer would have to be tiger when visiting my bro in singapore.

(On a tangent , if anyone goes to singapore, you'll be shocked by the price of beer (alcohol and fags). Head down to Brewerks at Boat Quay(nice little microbrewery). cheap lunch and cheap pints ($2 a few years ago) all afternoon. Only time i managed to get my bro pissed. :party:

cheers
iceman

I just came back from Singapore and can agree, worst hangovers... This is caused because they use Fermaldahyde (spelling???) as a preservative in the beer. Same stuff they pump into dead people to slow down the rotting process... hmmmm

As for price again I must agree, however did find that the prices in Sembawang were not too bad(And the chilli crab awesome), I also got to drink at the Terror Club (U.S. Navy piss bar) and that is really cheap... :super:

Cheers and beers :beer:

HK

cheers
iceman

I just came back from Singapore and can agree, worst hangovers... This is caused because they use Fermaldahyde (spelling???) as a preservative in the beer. Same stuff they pump into dead people to slow down the rotting process... hmmmm

As for price again I must agree, however did find that the prices in Sembawang were not too bad(And the chilli crab awesome), I also got to drink at the Terror Club (U.S. Navy piss bar) and that is really cheap... :super:

HK
ill second that irish i cant drink most of their shit as it also has the same preservative as cheap sparking wines which im allergic to, but this doesnt help ether. i might have to find this brewerks when im up there later this year

Without a doubt for me its,

Foster's Special - it was indeed "special"

followed closely by

Tooheys Red and XXXX.

These two, although not strictly beer still rate a mention too,

Blue Tongue Ginger Beer = Lizards Piss

and can anyone remember Razorback? I think it was a malt based / cider concoction made by SAB many moons ago, also pretty average.

Carlton cold filtered tastses like crap i much prefer my own brewsf

[

HK
[/quote]

Terror Club (U.S. Navy piss bar), US now :( , when our Ships Company [people on a ship] spent 2 weeks at the same place in 1969 when it was then a British Naval Base ,HMS Terror , the 'Wets' [bar] served British Ale :) in pints YUM, and it was cheap.
Don't remember leaving most nights.

The local 'fizz' was and still is crap.

God you guys have really got me thinking, I have tasted some great beers and some real shockers. Here is my list of shockers:

1: Tooheys New.....arrghhh!
2: Millers......... sex on a beach!
3: D.A........Satans smeg!
4:Tooheys Red.......Toe jam!
5: Schlitz....... Sh*ts!
6: Tiger......pussy cat piss!

This one could well take the cake. <_<

Caporal Pils. (they can't even get the spelling right). Total shocker. Poured almost as flat as a tack and cloudy as buggery. Scary part is it's Belgian. :eek:

Not remotely like a Pils. Reminded me of some flat kit and kilo homebrew. Fruity/cidery and some funny cardboard flavours.

In defence of it, most likely past its peak. No visible signs of use-by dates or anything. :(

If the beer through the bottle has some sediment on the bottom avoid it like the plague.

Warren -

DSC01353.JPG

Back