wood chips in cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzagahan

Reaction score
hello cider heads, apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but how many grams of smoked wood chips should i be adding to a 20 litre batch of fermented apple juice prior to bottling.

all the advice I've read around this has been a bit vague on detail.

cheers!
gaz

That really depends on how much you like the taste of smoked wood chips in your cider...

I don't oak my cider but I do oak meads with oak dominoes. I usually use 2 for a 5l bath and and a proportional 10 for 25l. I leave the batch on oak for up to 6 months to develop the flavours. A little for a long time is better than a lot for a short time.

How that translates to cider I'm not sure.

General rules are - use a little. it's easer to add more than take some away. Slow and steady. Taste often and adjust as necessary.

Cheers
dave

like dave i find the smaller the size of the wood the quicker it infuses. so chips have a time frame of weeks where staves and dominos have months/years.
also the quicke infuses sometime it can leave a one dimensional character in there and be a bit harsh.

like dave i find the smaller the size of the wood the quicker it infuses. so chips have a time frame of weeks where staves and dominos have months/years.
also the quicke infuses sometime it can leave a one dimensional character in there and be a bit harsh.
The one dimensional harshness will eventually smooth out to a degree but that will take months/years. Either way oaking a beverage well takes time.

Latest posts

Back