Whitelabs Budejovice Pilsner Yeast (wlp801)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wassa

Reaction score
Has anyone used this particular yeast before and hwat is it like?

I am going to use it with an Xtract Pilsner kit from The Country Brewers along with 150gm of steeped Pilsner grain and 15gm of Saaz dry hopped.

Any thoughts?

Wassa,

i used this yeast in a ESB fresh wort pilsner. I thought was an excellent match. The yeast flocculated well & didn't overpower the malt & hop flavours. There was low/no sulphur smell/taste.

A mate has just used it on an AG pilsner, but it is still CCing so i can't comment on it.

Give it a go. I reckon you'll like it. Don't forget to culture some.

Beers

Crozdog

i had major issues with sulfur when i used this - it needed a lot of lagering (like 6 weeks) to get rid of it and i couldnt get rid of it completely. also has a curious dried apple taste that you may or may not like (you can taste this in Budvar, the beer it is commercially used for).
next time i do a bopils i think i might try WLP833.

Has anyone used this particular yeast before and hwat is it like?

I am going to use it with an Xtract Pilsner kit from The Country Brewers along with 150gm of steeped Pilsner grain and 15gm of Saaz dry hopped.

Any thoughts?

Do you mash this extra Pilsner grain then boil it?

That is a great lager yeast, but maybe a bit like putting Pirrelli's on an EH Holden.

James

Latest posts

Back