White Rabbit Dark Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hello,

I actually haven't tried White Rabbit Dark Ale but have been keeping my eye open for it and have heard about it and like the sound of it.

I'm sure a few people on here have considered a clone recipe and maybe someone lurking out there has attempted it already!!

I thought I would get the ball rolling and get people inspired to create a clone recipe or at least throw some ideas around regarding ingredients and the recipe.

Meantime I will continue my search for the real thing and have a taste!

Cheers!!

Where are you beer 007 somebody may be able to help out on the location of white rabbit.

I had it at a train stop pub in Melb the other day and thought it was a great beer, i have not thought about a clone but i might have a crack now. Just have to remember what flavors where there.

Where are you beer 007 somebody may be able to help out on the location of white rabbit.

I had it at a train stop pub in Melb the other day and thought it was a great beer, i have not thought about a clone but i might have a crack now. Just have to remember what flavors where there.

I'm in Sydney... I'm pretty sure it isn't available in bottlos up here yet. I know it is on tap in the city somewhere but haven't had the time to get out there.

Have had a few of the Rabbit`s wares, on tap and the good wife has bought a few six packs. I think its very lacking of bitterness and hops, great malt shines thru with a cloying aftertaste, def no beer judge though!!!. Weyermann is the base malt looking at their inventory a few times. I hope they move on from the infancy stage e.g more floorspace for the forklift than they do customers. Really lacks customer floorspace. If you get a chance visit and struggle to get a seat and watch people walk in and walk out straight over the road to Giant Steps to sip on a LCPA on a chair. I did this just last Saturday.
I must get up when they are brewing too investigate "open fermentation"

I'm in Sydney... I'm pretty sure it isn't available in bottlos up here yet. I know it is on tap in the city somewhere but haven't had the time to get out there.

The Macquarie Hotel put it on tap a few weeks ago - the brewer was up from Vic and we had a brief chat and I scabbed three schooners out of him (thanks mate) .. its a lovely brew. I think he said it had six (or was it seven) malts. I chatted to the Macs brewer (Tim ?) about it and we tried to guess the malts .. two crystals, 2 base malts ale (ale & munich), wheat, oats ? and a dark malt are just a guess. Couldn't determine a hop profile. They want it to be a session beer, so I'm thinking an highly attentive yeast.

It was that good my Tooheys New mates actually ordered it the next day as a first preference.

The WR man also said a lot of trial and error went into it. So my reality says good luck trying to clone the beast.

Suggest something like a london porter on a lager yeast may go close to an approximation.

Best of luck !

Excellent, a clone thread! I missed this one too Kai.

Just for a bit of fun i've got this is a cube waiting for some recultured yeast from the bottle to fire.

while the hop bill may not be even close i'll focus on the malt bill first.

hookah smoking caterpillar an interpretation of WRDA

OG 1.052 IBU 30

54.5% Pils
30% Minuch I
5% Caramalt
5% Wheat
3.5% Medium Crystal
1% Chocolate Malt
1% Black Patent

NB @ 60 minutes

Cascade 1g/l @ 5 Minutes

Hi Rob
I bought a six pack while in Melbourne. Didnt pay real close attention while drinking, but your malt bill looks pretty good. To me a bit more chocolate than 1%, but once you have a taste of that malt bill it will be easier to work out.

When I was at the brewery, I asked the barmen if he knew what hops they used in white rabbit...

He was pretty reserved but I ended up dragging out of him that they use:

A noble hop for bittering: Hmm..

And TASMANIAN Fuggles [WTF] and then Tasmanian Cascade in the whirlpool...

Sorry, I know it doesn't help, but that is what he said, just passing it on...

Cheers

Hey Guys,

thanks for the advice and suggestions. As far as the hops go i read this a while back in an article.

Hull says they are currently using three different types of hop flowers in the hopback Super Alpha and Sticklebract from New Zealand, plus a little bit of Tassie Cascade.

In the bottles i had the hop character was quite reserved but i guess it would be a bit hoppier fresh on tap.

I've been going over my tasting notes and it has more of a toffee/caramel malt flavour than my grain bill will probably provide perhaps a melanodin/crystal/choc combo?

Rob.

Well the yeast culture had fired on all cylinders

DSC01717.JPG

I think for a second bash at the recipe, i'll up the choc as GL suggested and add a percent of brown malt for complexity.

Rob.

WRDA Interpretation 2

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.61
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.36
Anticipated EBC: 35.3
Anticipated IBU: 27.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
58.0 3.25 kg. Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
28.5 1.60 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
5.0 0.28 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
5.0 0.28 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 145
2.5 0.14 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 750
1.0 0.05 kg. TF Brown Malt UK 1.033 200

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
35.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.80 24.0 60 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.80 3.7 5 min.

Yeast
-----
Recultured from WRDA Bottle.

There is definitely more than one base malt and one specialty malt, and the bottling yeast is the same strain as the primary.

DSC01722.JPG

This is the ferment using the re cultured WRDA yeast less than 24 hours after pitching,
It hasn't gotten above 20*c in a temperature controlled fridge and is extremely vigorous
and has a Huge fruity aroma.

Rob.

View attachment 32525

This is the ferment using the re cultured WRDA yeast less than 24 hours after pitching,
It hasn't gotten above 20*c in a temperature controlled fridge and is extremely vigorous
and has a Huge fruity aroma.

Rob.
Good to see that border crossing pesky rabbit has been captured and put to good use :icon_cheers:

was thinking about trying this recipe with this thread
although i dont know how/massively cbf culturing yeast from a bottle (although i have one in the fridge for celebrations tomorrow night, last day of uni ever tomorrow!!!). So i was wondering what yeast i should buy? preferably dry, but i might give a liquid yeast a crack if it sounds worth it.

Cheers

i cant believe nobody can recommend one yeast to use for this beer <_<

One of this beer's brewers has stated above that the yeast in the bottle is the same yeast used in primary - you're not gonna get a better tip for what yeast to use than that.

Agreed. Bite the bullet and reculture. It's not hard and you have it from the horse's mouth that that IS the yeast to use.

Latest posts

Back