White Rabbit Dark Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a good fresh rabbit though I'd suggest a little dry hopping, and maybe a variety you wouldn't expect :)
So apart from the raspberry, anyone have any idea as to what the 'secret' dry hop may be? Personally i would'nt expect P.O.R! :lol:

So apart from the raspberry, anyone have any idea as to what the 'secret' dry hop may be? Personally i would'nt expect P.O.R! :lol:

I'm going to use NZ Sticklebract Flowers very late

Screwy

Have been collecting the yeast from a 6 pack of the rabbit to have a go at making an american brown ale. Available at PALS if any of the locals have been searching for it.

Loving the ideas on this thread, plenty of good suggestions and since i haven't brewed many ABAs I'll be using them as a starting point.

Nice to see Kai giving his opinions of the recipe, its a fantastic beer that i can see myself buying and brewing more of. Good job! :beerbang:

I haven't used them, but I vaguely remember someone posting they got a blackcurrent type flavour from Brambling Cross Hops, not sure if anyone wants to experiment with these if they're getting a rasberry type flavour? Just some food for thought.

This beer was the guest beer on at Little Creatures a few weeks ago when I was in Freo and I really enjoyed it. All the way to WA for a VIC beer. Wish we could get more stuff like this in Sydney more often.

Cheers,
Thommos.

Nup..... not kidding old mate,,, pour gently & have a look in the bottom of a WR stubbie, you don't get that colour from malt or hops.....

Regards
The Mexican

Sorry guys, a big correction to my comment on fruit flavoured beers,Belvue Kriek, should have read Belvue Frambroisen, the Krieks are nothing like what I was trying to explain, matter of fact I don't know many brewers that will go back for seconds with a Kriek, lets leave this style to the Belgians, they have it down pat, & if you think you are going to brew this style well, good luck. I don't want that yeast anywhere near my brewery.
I have experienced Brambling Cross hops in the early days & that is not the flavour I am picking up in WRDA. Flavour tests I have been trying are knocking on the door, just got to nail that late hop, & the Sticklebract suggestion will be well worth trying next.

Regards
The Mexican.

Sorry guys, a big correction to my comment on fruit flavoured beers,Belvue Kriek, should have read Belvue Frambroisen, the Krieks are nothing like what I was trying to explain, matter of fact I don't know many brewers that will go back for seconds with a Kriek, lets leave this style to the Belgians, they have it down pat, & if you think you are going to brew this style well, good luck. I don't want that yeast anywhere near my brewery.
I have experienced Brambling Cross hops in the early days & that is not the flavour I am picking up in WRDA. Flavour tests I have been trying are knocking on the door, just got to nail that late hop, & the Sticklebract suggestion will be well worth trying next.

Regards
The Mexican.

Ok, I'll bite.

Are you seriously suggesting that white rabbit dark ale is a fruit beer? Why would they not market it as such?

The yeast left in the bottom of my bottles of WRDA looked like normal yeast, nothing red about it. You didnt cut your mouth whilst drinking did you?

Going to go up the road and buy a stubbie or two just to find this raspberry.

Also I like the beer.

I have got my Clone in... very nice Krausen forming. I used 7 grains and the recultured yeast. IMHO I think that it is a Belgian Yeast, but thats just me...
Cheers
PS.... Just loved having to drink a sixer of these to harvest the yeast...damm
Great beer

I doubt very much that there is fruit in the beer. Disappointed to hear that Kai is dry hopping, but that's a phase that many young brewers go through and I'm confident that he'll grow out of it. If you guys are tasting berry-like fruit flavours, I'd put my money of Pacific Gem as the mystery hop.

I doubt very much that there is fruit in the beer. Disappointed to hear that Kai is dry hopping, but that's a phase that many young brewers go through and I'm confident that he'll grow out of it. If you guys are tasting berry-like fruit flavours, I'd put my money of Pacific Gem as the mystery hop.

Dig, recently tried this beer again reading the fruit comments. Love the beer, the aroma is berry/blackcurrant, but I don't datect any fruit flavour.

Cheers,

Screwy

Hey guys,
Kinda off topic, but what does the WRDA yeast bring?

Im about to make a DR Smurtos Golden Ale soon and was tossing up between the usual US05 and 1469 (as i have a starter almost ready to go of 1469).
But reading this thread, and the fact that i also have a carton of white rabit at home, has made me think its a good time to use its yeast.

I could just make a WRDA clone instead I guess.

Cheers,
Al

Anyone have any feedback on the character of the White Rabbit yeast?

Cheers,
Al

I doubt very much that there is fruit in the beer. Disappointed to hear that Kai is dry hopping, but that's a phase that many young brewers go through and I'm confident that he'll grow out of it.

I still proudly wear a dry hopped nappy, and sadly no longer refer to myself as a young brewer. And I know that Kai is up to his ears in nappies - Kai, give me a call and drop past for a beer when time allows.

Dean, hope you're well. How's Canadia?

Best regards

Simon

(just reread the first sentence. Sorry all for the appalling visuals. Nobody needs to imagine a dry hopped nappy)

I still proudly wear a dry hopped nappy, and sadly no longer refer to myself as a young brewer. And I know that Kai is up to his ears in nappies - Kai, give me a call and drop past for a beer when time allows.

Dean, hope you're well. How's Canadia?

Best regards

Simon

(just reread the first sentence. Sorry all for the appalling visuals. Nobody needs to imagine a dry hopped nappy)

I suppose it might help with the smell.
Or help the brewer baby sleep?

I get the impression you know more about beer than I have hairs on my entire body but dry hopping is a technique that has been utilised for years all over the world by some of the world's best breweries in some of the world's best beers. Even Orval is dry hopped as far as I know

Your comment is therefore mildly confusing.

Had 1 the other night and buggered if I can find the raspberries either in the beer or in the yeast.

+1 about dry hopping. Is this an infintile thing to do? Or more personal taste / preference?
In my limited experience it seems to work quite well, but hey i might be wrong being a young brewer. Maybe i'll grow out of it.
Any more ideas with a recipe. (Not knocking the ones already posted) Infact made one up the other night. Just seems this has gone a bit OT after such a great start.
The recultured WR yeast fires up like you would'nt believe. I used the cling wrap method (not as perverted as it sounds) and never bothered with sticking a hole in it before, after this one might reconsider.

Yeast strain selection was based on the following criteria: 1. had to be a genuine top fermenting, top cropping ale strain that would work mechanically in an open fermenter (ie, not 1056), 2. Had to be a strain that didn't mute hop characters excessively as hops were always going to be an important aspect of this beer and many ales strains dumb hops down too much, 3. Wanted a yeast that produced subtle but pleasant esters that would integrate harmoniously with hop and malt flavours, and 4. needed to be a strain that didn't flock too heavily and require agitation in the fermenter. Tick, tick, tick, tick, job done.

Hi Simon

Really liking Canada. This week is Vancouver Craft Beer Week and I'm attending various functions and dinners every day. Judged the BC homebrew comp last week and the standard was really high. 1st place went to a lambic, 2nd a wood aged RIS and 3rd a Belgian strong. Very delicious.

Brewing three days per week at Howe Sound in Squamish, had a phone interview yesterday with a recruitment mob in Boston looking for Head Brewer here in Vancouver, and also doing a little bit of consultancy having started a company called Bru-Rite Consulting. Yeah, so things are working out. Residency, social insurance and drivers licence all sorted out, Liz is happy to be home and I have a season pass for the bike park in Whistler. Summer is just around the corner. Good.

Vancouver mayor Gregor Robertson taps the Vancouver Craft Beer Week grand opening cask

VCBW.jpg

Back