White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just kegged the Toohey's 1913 Standard Pale Ale and it's a ripper. I finally bought a hydrometer and the yeast had ripped it down to about 1.005 so based on the OG of 1.048 I've ended up with a 5.6% ABV beer rather than the 4.8% using something like Yorkshire Stone Square.

So I'll be adjusting recipes in future where a xxx type yeast is called for, don't know how it goes in Beersmith but in Brewmate I've reset the attenuation for this yeast to 83% so it's all calculating out ok now.

Now to get the yeast out into storage, the bottom of the FV looks like a fishtank with gravel overlaid with crystal clear wort. Even got a couple of wannabe seahorses to the left of the photo. The original topcrop sank during cold conditioning. Having a few sneaky ice colds off the remains, I can understand now how they could smash ten or twenty of these no problems during the six o'clock swill.

Melbourne no 1 slurry.jpg

Great, thanks Bribie!
So 83% attenuation. Pretty damn good ;-)
It does look a little like someone pissed into you fish tank. :D

What was your saccharification temp in the mash, or the mash schedule?
And how much sugar did you go with in this?

(just asking so i can update my version of ianh's spreadsheet).

Here's the final recipe, adapted slightly from Korev's recipe in the book to account for no chill and cube hopping. It's amazing what a nice malty flavour it has, considering that when I milled the grain, it was such a small bill compared to my normal AG brews that the mill said "WTF Bribie????"

I put the sugar in the boil - careful to dissolve it well in some hot wort out of the tap and stir furiously to avoid a heavy syrup sinking down onto the heat source and scorching (or cutting an urn out as has happened twice to me).

1913 Tooheys Standard Pale
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.790
Total Hops (g): 76.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.005 (°P): 1.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.66 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4
Bitterness (IBU): 33.7 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
1.800 kg Bairds Pearl (47.49%)
0.850 kg Barrett Burston Pale(22.43%)
0.570 kg Raw Sugar (15.04%)
0.570 kg White Sugar (15.04%)

Hop Bill
----------------
14.0 g Cluster Pellet (7.4% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g Cluster Pellet (7.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Cube hop) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Cube hop) (0.6 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop on pitching) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
3.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
4.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP059 - Melbourne Ale Yeast

Here's the final recipe, adapted slightly from Korev's recipe in the book to account for no chill and cube hopping. It's amazing what a nice malty flavour it has, considering that when I milled the grain, it was such a small bill compared to my normal AG brews that the mill said "WTF Bribie????"

I put the sugar in the boil - careful to dissolve it well in some hot wort out of the tap and stir furiously to avoid a heavy syrup sinking down onto the heat source and scorching (or cutting an urn out as has happened twice to me).

1913 Tooheys Standard Pale
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.790
Total Hops (g): 76.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.005 (°P): 1.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.66 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4
Bitterness (IBU): 33.7 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
1.800 kg Bairds Pearl (47.49%)
0.850 kg Barrett Burston Pale(22.43%)
0.570 kg Raw Sugar (15.04%)
0.570 kg White Sugar (15.04%)

Hop Bill
----------------
14.0 g Cluster Pellet (7.4% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g Cluster Pellet (7.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Cube hop) (0.6 g/L)
14.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Cube hop) (0.6 g/L)
20.0 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop on pitching) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
3.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
4.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Cheers for this...

Got 2 vials of this yeast sitting in the fridge. Will try this recipe out next week or so...

Wow - 81% attenuation after a 69°C mash. (at least that's what my spreadsheet indicates).
That's pretty damn amazing!

Thanks v much for posting the recipe details.
Appreciated!

Do you think there could be any difference in the resulting flavour profile adding the sugar pre-ferment compared to mid-ferment?

I'm assuming there's a big benefit with 059 in that, unlike other strains (e.g.: Belgian, English), it's so well suited to sugar/sucrose that it doesn't apparently struggle to convert from chewing simple sugar/sucrose to chewing maltose halfway through fermentation. So we can add it during the boil, and thus it should have maximum flavour impact as it's affecting the initial fermentation phase that's meant to produce the majority of flavour compounds (a little paraphrasing of White Labs explanation, etc).
As opposed to those other strains where the (apparently) "best" time to add the sugars/syrups is towards the end of the fermentation as they struggle to chew through maltose after chewing through easier sucrose/glucose. And so the flavour impact should be greatly lessened as it's not present during that primary "flavour-forming" phase at the start of fermentation.

But that's all just my theory, as i haven't brewed with this yet. So i'm just wondering f anyone who has might've noticed anything along these lines?

Probably a more useful question, again to those who've been brewing with 059:
What do you think is the better/best mash temp for 059 beers, given we're looking to use 15-30% sugar in the recipe?

The mash temperature is high because the malt is needed to provide flavour, body, head etc so not many fermentables are produced.
The sugar addition does the heavy lifting to produce the alcohol, so is needed in the fermenter from the beginning.

I just follow Bronzed Brews as he's the guy with the actual brewing logs.

Yeah, I understand the general idea, I was just wondering if you or others had tried a few different mash temps and had discovered a sweet spot from your trials yet?
Otherwise I do what you did and go 68-69*C for 90mins. [emoji4]
Though it sound like bronzed brews has already done that empirical work [emoji6]

My recipe (1931 White Horse Pale Ale) called for 66C and I ended up with FG of 1.003 (which is also what my software predicted).

The beer is thin, but not ridiculously so. It's nice and easy to drink.

I asked the author of Bronzed Brews about my FG and he was surprised it got down that low. I'm saving a bottle for him so he can have a taste.

My Macclesfield xxxk after 3 weeks in the keg. Funnily the bottled beer from this batch is clearer than the kegged? Fruityness has subsided with time but it's left a really smooth easy drinking ale that is going to disappear fast once the sun decides to show it's face down south.
20170928_184447.jpg

With the extra hour of sunshine coming up on Monday you'll be able to drink heaps more.

Yeah FG of 2006 with my last batch, might even have been 2005 - it's just a LHBS hydro so keeps clinging to side of the cheapo plastic cylinder and a bit hard to read - I'll do a few more checks in a larger vessel like a pint glass for example :drinkingbeer: once it's on tap and pouring.

Got another vial in the fridge so there'll be another brew coming up soon. Thinking of splitting and freezing it so I have a ready supply on hand.

I bet that turns out a bit like the VB Original Pale Ale that was out around 15 years ago.
Why they don't issue it again instead of crisp lite blonde lo-fucken-carb swill beats me.
I'd imagine it probably doubles their ingredient cost...:eek:

My Melb Bitter is tasting spectacular. Very very similar to Melb Bitter in fact :p

One interesting thing is the hydro samples come out SUPER frothy, with a bit more head than would be ideal in the drinking glass. Makes it difficult to read the gravity accurately. However it is down to 1.013 in 7 days and activity-wise looks to have almost stopped, fermenting at 20C and the mash temp was 67.0C single infusion. Weird as it is still 5 points off estimated FG, was oxygenated and received a very healthy 1.5L yeast starter (from original vial). Will bump the temp up to 23C and see how it finishes off.

I let mine rest at 19 for a week after activity ceased.
I think theres still a lot going on.

I don't actually check gravities until I keg, introduces O2. That's why I leave as long as possible in primary.

Brown Ale
19L

Briese Ale malt 3.6kg
Med Crystal 60g
Pale choc 120g
Brown sugar 500g

Amarilo 60min 30 IBU

OG 1052

My 30 IBU maybe out, got better utilisation swimming free, I may water this down a few points to 1045-48, see what is comes up like. Been in ferment 24hrs and has a nice build up of krausen @17c, it was a big starter see where it is in 5 days or so.

Thinking of doing a sugar less batch of beer for my first one (life got in the way) with WLP059. Not using sugar due a large amount of grain that really needs to be used.
Doing it to mimic tooheys bulk 1922.

40% Vienna
34% Ale
23% Pils
2% Roasted Barley

OG: 1.041
IBU: 31.6

What sort of attenuation are people getting from all grain if anyone has tried it.
Also any particular flavours fermenting it warmer that are desirable say 20C?

Latest posts

Back