Not yet, ferm fridge is tied up with a lager for another week and the garage is too cold for a starter. I'll post up when it's away but probably a couple of weeks.Did you end up poking it with a flame sanitised spoon or something?
He should be sweet at an anticipated 72 IBU Bribie?Oxygenate the wort well and don't let it get too cool, and you should be sweet.
Yeah at 72IBU I think it might need some time to mature before it's at its best?He should be sweet at an anticipated 72 IBU Bribie?
The 1887 Cascade XXXK is on P.265.
Almost went for that one but decided on the 1894 Macclesfield XXXK on P.269 which is in the cleaning-up process & should be Biofined & kegged in about 10 days. I subbed the sugar with home-made No2 Invert to get it to the approx EBC as mentioned before somewhere on here as the BeerSmith calcs do seem to be out of sync with Bronzed Brews recipes.
Agree with Bribie's temp & O2 comments stuartf.
Good luck with it.
Yay, hydrometer and Flensburger from the same car parking spot. Doesn't get any better than that.What is this hydrometer you speak of?
I'll be in the LHBS in Lismore shortly which, by the Grace of my god(praise be to the Invisible Pink Unicorn) is just over the road from Aldi, to get a box of PETs so you have twisted my arm, I'll buy one.
Get a refractometer, so much easier to take a reading, just record it in brix and its easy to convert the original and final brix into corrected SG values and ABV.I keg and don't really bother about FG. If it's been properly brewed, oxygenated and pitched then when it's cleared from the top it's done. I smashed my last hydrometer about 2011 but might pick one up again just to test my finished beers out of interest.
When randyrob was still around and developing BrewMate I asked him about FG calculations with regard to mash temperatures and other inputs, and he more or less said that if you could write software that could accurately predict your FG then you'd be up for the Nobel Prize in Brewing.
Made a starter for mine on the weekend and found the same, it was one solid block of yeast but it dissolved well into the starter so I'm thinking I'll take a chunk of the yeast cake and depending on how solid it is I'll make a new starter with that and have a go at freezing with glycerine.(I just got a starter going on the stir plate last night)
It's interesting how the yeast was all clumped together in the vial. No amount of shaking would break it up. It came out of the vial as a single mass.
That might make things tricky when it comes to splitting some off into more vials for freezing.