White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast is here, id upload a pic but I cant figure it out on the new format. Anyway its thick, really thick. I shook it for about 10 minutes anf there was still a large chunk that wouldn't separate

Yeast is here, id upload a pic but I cant figure it out on the new format. Anyway its thick, really thick. I shook it for about 10 minutes anf there was still a large chunk that wouldn't separate
Did you end up poking it with a flame sanitised spoon or something?

bronzed brews tooths tribute.jpg

Fuzzy shot. It needs a heap more conditioning but I sneaked a bottle anyway.
You know how it is when after many years you eat a musk stick or some old dude walks by wafting Old Spice or something and suddenly you are seven years old again, or 18 whatever.

Well when I tasted this beer it was 1979 once again, and I was in Tenterfield NSW on my very first trip out of QLD, at a time when beers very strictly stopped at the border and NSW brews were quite different to Brisbane XXXX or Bulimba.

I love this yeast and the recipe guidelines in Bronzed Brews.

Won't drink this style all the time, but, but bloody eck...........:drinkingbeer:

Australian Bitter 2017
Australian Bitter Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.733
Total Hops (g): 23.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.14 %
Colour (SRM): 7.3 (EBC): 14.4
Bitterness (IBU): 32.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.700 kg Base Barrett Burston Pilsener (62.2%)
0.500 kg Raw Sugar (18.29%)
0.500 kg Weyermann Vienna (18.29%)
0.033 kg Carafa II malt (1.21%) - for colouring - it's the Amber Fluid, not the pale sickly crisp super dry Fluid FFS

Hop Bill
----------------
23.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP059 - Melbourne Ale Yeast

Last edited:
Did you end up poking it with a flame sanitised spoon or something?
Not yet, ferm fridge is tied up with a lager for another week and the garage is too cold for a starter. I'll post up when it's away but probably a couple of weeks.

I see you added some carafa to up the colour, that's another thing I've noticed with the beersmith version of the recipes. They all come in very much under the colour listed in the book, I was thinking something similar about adding some carafa or even English choc malt to up the colour

I think I'm going to use this on a too-high gravity IBA so I can hit it hard with sugar to thin it out. I've already fermented a couple cubes of it on different yeasts, so it'll be an interesting comparison.

Ok finally decided to have a crack at the cascade xxxk recipe from bronzed brews for my first brew with this yeast. Any tips to be aware of like stalling at a particular og etc?

Oxygenate the wort well and don't let it get too cool, and you should be sweet.

Oxygenate the wort well and don't let it get too cool, and you should be sweet.

He should be sweet at an anticipated 72 IBU Bribie? ;) :)
The 1887 Cascade XXXK is on P.265.
Almost went for that one but decided on the 1894 Macclesfield XXXK on P.269 which is in the cleaning-up process & should be Biofined & kegged in about 10 days. I subbed the sugar with home-made No2 Invert to get it to the approx EBC as mentioned before somewhere on here as the BeerSmith calcs do seem to be out of sync with Bronzed Brews recipes.
Agree with Bribie's temp & O2 comments stuartf.
Good luck with it.

He should be sweet at an anticipated 72 IBU Bribie? ;) :)
The 1887 Cascade XXXK is on P.265.
Almost went for that one but decided on the 1894 Macclesfield XXXK on P.269 which is in the cleaning-up process & should be Biofined & kegged in about 10 days. I subbed the sugar with home-made No2 Invert to get it to the approx EBC as mentioned before somewhere on here as the BeerSmith calcs do seem to be out of sync with Bronzed Brews recipes.
Agree with Bribie's temp & O2 comments stuartf.
Good luck with it.
Yeah at 72IBU I think it might need some time to mature before it's at its best?

The gen y in me couldn't wait. So I kegged the lager I was cc'ing and have 059 spinning now. Plug came out with a thud, but it seems to be starting quickly.

I bottled my first batch of Tooths Tribute a bit over a week ago. This is a brilliant bottling yeast. I didn't use biofine or anything but the beer has cleared to perfect brilliance and pours clear to the last drop.
Rather than settling as a "fluffy" layer like most other yeasts that cloud up as you pour, the WLP059 forms micro-cornflakes that you can see clearly on inverting the bottle, and they just sit on the bottom like clinker. Another equivalent would be those snowstorm globes.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else gets that. The bottles seem to be carbing up a fair bit slower but no doubt they'll get there in the end and I'm considering using this yeast as a bottler for any comps in the future.

What is this hydrometer you speak of?

I'll be in the LHBS in Lismore shortly which, by the Grace of my god(praise be to the Invisible Pink Unicorn) is just over the road from Aldi, to get a box of PETs so you have twisted my arm, I'll buy one. :D

(I just got a starter going on the stir plate last night)

It's interesting how the yeast was all clumped together in the vial. No amount of shaking would break it up. It came out of the vial as a single mass.

That might make things tricky when it comes to splitting some off into more vials for freezing.

What is this hydrometer you speak of?

I'll be in the LHBS in Lismore shortly which, by the Grace of my god(praise be to the Invisible Pink Unicorn) is just over the road from Aldi, to get a box of PETs so you have twisted my arm, I'll buy one. :D

Yay, hydrometer and Flensburger from the same car parking spot. Doesn't get any better than that.

I keg and don't really bother about FG. If it's been properly brewed, oxygenated and pitched then when it's cleared from the top it's done. I smashed my last hydrometer about 2011 but might pick one up again just to test my finished beers out of interest.

When randyrob was still around and developing BrewMate I asked him about FG calculations with regard to mash temperatures and other inputs, and he more or less said that if you could write software that could accurately predict your FG then you'd be up for the Nobel Prize in Brewing.

Get a refractometer, so much easier to take a reading, just record it in brix and its easy to convert the original and final brix into corrected SG values and ABV.

Not that I bother half the time anyway...

I have a refrac that I use (several times) on every brew day and now a hydro.
However I've never had much luck using the correction chart for FG and really can't be arsed as the FG looks after itself and I keg anyway. I just paid out $12.50 for a hydro to check - merely out of interest - the FG in finished beer (degassed out of keg or bottle).

As for OG I agree you'd be mad to use a hydro to waste half a glass of wort sample when a few drops does the trick in a few seconds.

(I just got a starter going on the stir plate last night)

It's interesting how the yeast was all clumped together in the vial. No amount of shaking would break it up. It came out of the vial as a single mass.

That might make things tricky when it comes to splitting some off into more vials for freezing.
Made a starter for mine on the weekend and found the same, it was one solid block of yeast but it dissolved well into the starter so I'm thinking I'll take a chunk of the yeast cake and depending on how solid it is I'll make a new starter with that and have a go at freezing with glycerine.

Back