White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone tried splitting & freezing this yet?

I did last night. Went a lot smoother than I thought it would. There were still little clumps that didn't want to separate, but overall I was happy with what I was able to get into vials.

I did last night. Went a lot smoother than I thought it would. There were still little clumps that didn't want to separate, but overall I was happy with what I was able to get into vials.
Thanks for the reply, good to hear it went well. I'll be trying it in the next week or two when the stir plate is freed up.

I'm down to 1.012 with no sign of slowing down. BS estimates 1.002 so we'll just have to see.

Pitched late Saturday, was visibly going Sunday morning

Well at least one Australian Bitter made on this yeast has now been entered, and judged, in the NSW State Comp.

I was pleased with the results, comments were a pleasant well brewed beer with some nice fruity character but somewhat undercarbed, average score 33.5.

The carbing issue was expected, this yeast drops like a drop bear onto a Dutch Tourist and was so clear in the bottles that I could hardly see any yeast regrowth on tipping bottles, even after three weeks.
Next time I need to bottle any I'll save some of the first murky stuff out of the FV tap and re-inoculate the portion to be bottled.

I did a sort of Tooths XXX 1960s and 1970s tribute using POR in this case to conform with the BJCP specs (grrrrr grrrrr o_O) but as I posted earlier it really was strongly reminiscent of beers I had in Northern NSW back in that era before Tooths got shafted by CUB and switched all their yeasts to Fosters B strain.

Note: that was a 15L batch I did in my "comp size" fermenter. I may have posted this elsewhere adjusted to a 22L for anyone maybe looking to do it.

Australian Bitter 2017 comps
Australian Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.733
Total Hops (g): 23.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.14 %
Colour (SRM): 7.3 (EBC): 14.4
Bitterness (IBU): 32.5 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
1.700 kg Base Barrett Burston Pilsener (62.2%)
0.500 kg Cane Sugar (18.29%)
0.500 kg Weyermann Vienna (18.29%)
0.033 kg Carafa II malt (1.21%)

Hop Bill
----------------
23.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (8.3% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.

Fermented at 20°C with WLP059 - Melbourne Ale Yeast

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I used the yeast in my poly fermenter this time around - a Tooheys 1913 Standard Pale Ale - so I can see what's going on, and its UK and possibly Burton ancestry is quite obvious.
The body of the beer is now clearing after a week in the FV and what you are looking at here isn't krausen as such, it's a raft of floating yeasty goodness with visible clumps of yeast floating around.
I'll keep a good eye on it when I keg off during the week and try to capture that layer into a couple of mason jars without disturbing the slurry layer that's on the bottom of the FV.
Aldi have some German "masons" on spec during the week.

Melbourne no 1 topcrop.jpg

Kegged and bottled my Macclesfield xxxk ale today. Had been cold crashing for a week and the yeast cake was the most compact I have ever seen. Managed to basically all of the beer out of the fermenter without a sign of the yeast being disturbed. Taste was good and quite fruity, be interesting to see what its like once it's carbed up

Ipa 3rd gen ferment with wlp059. 45L batch had 3.5kg of invert and glucose. OG 1.070

Golden promise
Castle 2row pils
Roasted barley
Carafa 2
Caramunich

PoR 90min
Galaxy and Melba cubed
Galaxy, Melba, EKG and PoR dry hop

Ferment at 22c

Pitched at 3pm Monday, now Thursday morning, gravity reading (hydro) is sitting at 1.012 (82% apparent attenuation) Yeast has dropped out already. Buttloads of diacetyl. Will give it untill this time next week to crash it.

I was pleased with the results, comments were a pleasant well brewed beer with some nice fruity character but somewhat undercarbed, average score 33.5.

The carbing issue was expected, this yeast drops like a drop bear onto a Dutch Tourist and was so clear in the bottles that I could hardly see any yeast regrowth on tipping bottles, even after three weeks.
Next time I need to bottle any I'll save some of the first murky stuff out of the FV tap and re-inoculate the portion to be bottled.

What level did you aim to carb at? In Bronzed Brews all the recipes pretty much sit at 2.0 volumes CO2. I decided this would be too low for my tastes and so I aimed for more like 2.3.

When it came time for bottling there was quite a lot of chunks of nearly solid yeast that came out of the tap to begin with. Most went in my gravity sample. I then took an extra 0.5L sample or so just to get the beer running clearer into my bottling bucket.

I bottled (mostly in PET) and not yet opened one. I've given the bottles a squeeze and the carb level seems pretty good. Might be time for a taste, I think ...

I only bottle for competitions or to take a batch on a trip. I always bottle in brown PETs with a CSR sugar cube and this gives really good carbonation. If it does get a bit lively that's fine for most comp purposes as mostly a beer will be marked down for poor carb rather than high carb. Unless it's a gusher of course.

I entered two beers and the other one was judged good carb, whilst the Melbourne had basically conked out in the bottles.
I'm actually kegging my Tooheys Standard Pale Ale today and might glean a bottle to see how it goes with a good charge of yeast this time.

Pitched my first beer with this last night, a Melbourne Ale. Fired up within 8 hours and is very lively indeed, excited to see the results and need to plan a couple more beers with it!

Melbourne Ale
Blonde Ale (6 B)
SRM5.png

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 47.50 l
Boil Size: 55.98 l
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 49.48 l
Final Bottling Vol: 45.50 l
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
Date: 05 Aug 2017

Asst Brewer:
Equipment: 3V RIMS Rig - Double Batch
Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.00 kg Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6.5 EBC) Grain 1 92.6 %
0.09 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 2 1.0 %
0.05 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (178.5 EBC) Grain 3 0.6 %
38.20 g Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 22.7 IBUs
0.50 kg Raw Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 5 5.8 %
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 7 -
1.0 pkg Melbourne Ale (The Vault) (White Labs #WLP059) Yeast 8 -
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 22.7 IBUs
Est Color: 9.5 EBC
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG

I bet that turns out a bit like the VB Original Pale Ale that was out around 15 years ago.
Why they don't issue it again instead of crisp lite blonde lo-fucken-carb swill beats me.

I remember that one! Oh how posh I felt with my special VB Original!!!

Depending how this first cube turns out in the FV, I may drop the second straight back in, or I may opt for a lager yeast version to have a difference to compare...

Have some 059 on the plate, might steal the above recipe, and knock it out tomorrow. Need a decent cake for RIS rescue, when the RIS slows, though it went from 1.130 to 1.075 overnight, so maybe it won't be needed but better to be prepared.

Have some 059 on the plate, might steal the above recipe, and knock it out tomorrow. Need a decent cake for RIS rescue, when the RIS slows, though it went from 1.130 to 1.075 overnight, so maybe it won't be needed but better to be prepared.
I don't think this will be a good yeast to finish off a stalled RIS with due to its high flocculation, when I kegged I was able to drain right down to the cake without any yeast getting stirred up. If needed I'd pour in a few litres, give it a good shake then fill the rest.

I don't think this will be a good yeast to finish off a stalled RIS with due to its high flocculation, when I kegged I was able to drain right down to the cake without any yeast getting stirred up. If needed I'd pour in a few litres, give it a good shake then fill the rest.
I only want it to chew sugar, I'll cask age(keg with some oak dominoes) with lager yeast till next winter, the fact it flocks so well sorta works for me, it just means good yeast handling and pre planning brews to provide yeast cakes.

I only want it to chew sugar, I'll cask age(keg with some oak dominoes) with lager yeast till next winter, the fact it flocks so well sorta works for me, it just means good yeast handling and pre planning brews to provide yeast cakes.
Nah, when I said it flocks well I meant like concrete, stuck together with chemset. I'd use it to start a RIS and get the flavour profile but it really won't chew the remaining sugar when it's compacted on the bottom of the fv.

Nah, when I said it flocks well I meant like concrete, stuck together with chemset. I'd use it to start a RIS and get the flavour profile but it really won't chew the remaining sugar when it's compacted on the bottom of the fv.
ahh gotcha, thanks will move to plan c

Latest posts

Back