White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by Korev, 7/3/17.

1. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 10/10/17
    I just sampled a sneaky 1913 Tooheys Standard Pale on kegging.

It had been in cold conditioning in FV for about a week at 1 degree, then biofine into keg for another 10 days. So after about a schooner of murk it's pouring bright. I still can't believe that with a kilo of sugaz this beer is so full bodied and malty.
    I'm also picking up the catty notes you still get from a lot of the traditional brews like VB and XXXX.

technobabble66 likes this.
  2. technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

Posted 10/10/17
    Got my baby spinning up, ready for pitching in a few days.
    Gratuitous shot of the Yeast Forge - awesome piece of kit!
    IMG_5003.jpg
    First beer will be an Aussie Bitter, waiting patiently in a cube.
    Currently thinking I might try a malty Munich2-heavy beer with perle+saaz & 15% sugar.
    Then something like a Belgian Blonde, but with 059 & ~15% sugar, to target ~6.5-7%alc.
    Probably followed by an Amber-ish IPA (mongrel brew from Vic July case swap) & a stout/RIS (also from the case swap).

DJ_L3ThAL likes this.
  3. Mat B

Posted 12/10/17
    Thought I'd mention that I was at Grain & Grape yesterday for a gas swap and had a bit of a moment with their sample taps. One of the beers there was called Melbourne Ale and it mentioned it was brewed using WLP059. I asked if they had the recipe, and when they gave it to me, I saw that it was the Melbourne Sparkling Ale from the Bronzed Brews book. It was very drinkable, and I noticed that slight bubblegummy taste a few have mentioned here. Wasn't anywhere near as dry as I expected considering it uses nearly 1kg of table sugar. Nice and malty. I think I'm going to brew it!

4. Midnight Brew

Posted 12/10/17
    Is that the recipe on page 281, the Tooth's Crystal Ale?

5. laxation

Posted 12/10/17
    I'm gonna have to go next week to GnG and give it a try...

6. technobabble66

Meat Popsicle

Posted 12/10/17
    Does it use any crystal?
    (actually a serious question - it sounds like 059 leaves a crystal like effect in the beer, so wondering if it's that combined with base malts, or if there's actual crystal in it)

On another note, has anyone used Biscuit or Aromatic in a 059 beer yet? If so, how did it affect the beer, in your opinion?
    I'm curious as to how they'd perform under this yeast, or any of the other toasty elements (victory, amber) or heavy-malty elements (Munich2 or melanoiden). Otherwise i'll have to broaden that horizon myself...

7. Midnight Brew

Posted 12/10/17
    No crystal, I think its called that in order to appeal to the drinker visually. That actual recipe does not call for WLP059 but its the only one I could find on a quick flick through of which would be as @mblackam described of nearly a kilo of sugar. Curious to know the if it is the same recipe because I have nearly all the ingredients.

technobabble66 and DJ_L3ThAL like this.
  8. Mat B

Posted 13/10/17 at 12:44 AM
    I haven't actually checked in the book to see which recipe it specifically relates to, and I'm at work now so don't have it handy (working very hard as you can see). I did however take the attached photo of the recipe they used, which should help narrow it down. It was pretty damned nice in my opinion, but that might have been influenced by the fact that I'd just got out of some heavy traffic, so any beer would have probably hit the spot. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts if they get a chance to sample it.

Edit: I just remembered the guy in the shop said they got the recipe from the White Labs site, so it's safe to say they based it on this: https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/1916_Tooths_Pale_Ale.pdf

Attached Files:

9. Midnight Brew

Posted 13/10/17 at 12:48 AM
    That looks like the one! page 281, Tooth's Crystal Ale

10. kaiserben

Posted 13/10/17 at 2:46 AM
    None of the recipes call for WLP059 because it wasn't available when the book was written. Somewhere in the book it mentions something along the lines of "WLP059 can sub in anywhere where the Whitbread yeast was used".

Mat B and Midnight Brew like this.
  11. Danscraftbeer

Posted 13/10/17 at 10:32 AM
    Just about to crack open my 2 vials of wlp059 for a starter and this stuff is like cement glue in the vial. Lots of shaking to try and dissolve the clump and you only let it sit for a bit and it sets solid again.

12. TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH

Posted 13/10/17 at 2:32 PM
    1894 Macclesfield XXXK Clone.JPG
    "Whole Lotta Shakin Goin' On" (Thanks Elvis LOL!) alright DCB but once you've the yeast out of the tube & into another 100 ml or so of sterile water then it's easy enough to split into tubes.

Added Biofine to the keg (10 g) & here's a pic of the first pint after dumping the sludge from my 1894 Macclesfield XXXK Pale Ale Clone (P.269). It's much clearer ATM thanks to the extra week or so since the pic was taken but can't be arsed doing another pic at present.

I have learnt the lesson & will be making the extra effort of racking to secondary on top of the Biofine in future before kegging but only with my Pale Ales & Lagers. All the dark (Brewbrited) beers can sit in their kegs clearing themselves up whilst awaiting their turn at the taps.

Must agree with Bribie about the cat piss reminiscent to VB, XXXX, etc.
    Quite tasty though IMHO!

Danscraftbeer likes this.