White Labs WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast to be released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my second brew with 059 and it's a Toohey's Old as per Brewman's site (previous brew was very good). It's been in the fermenter for the 8th day now so I figured it would be done, fired off quicker this time with a hit of O2. I took a hydro before racking and it came in at 1.011, which long story short implies it's got a bit to go. It took a good fortnight for my Tooth's WHA to finish off so from my experience it's been a slow fermenter. Fairly quick off the mark, but finishes slowly.

Yeah mine is slow too in the 50lt pressure fermenter. Funny thing that struck me was the second stir plate starter I made to be an 1lt activated pitch breached the 3lt flask over night (7 hours) making a mess of lost high krausen yeast over the bench :(.
In fear of blow off considering this character I set up a 5lt mini keg with 1lt sterile water to be the collector of the blow off yeast since its a 43lt brew I was sure it would blow off but no.
Fermenting at 18c for 2 days as per the recipe its a slow rev thing. Now creeping up to 21c.
As per the recipe of 1917 White Horse Ale. That's not actually in the Bronze Brew book ha :rolleyes: https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/1916_Tooths_Pale_Ale.pdf

Last edited:
Fwiw, I've finally got my 059 going.
Initially did a 700mL starter, fully fermented & chilled, decanted then pitched.
Pitched into a simple Aussie Bitter, ~12% sugar, OG=1.042, FG~1.009 (76% attenuation). Currently at ~1.010 after 9 days at ~20°C, most of it chewed through within the first 5 days, transferred to the 2nd FV to try to finish the last 1-2 points.
Drained the cube of the 2nd beer, a Malty Bitter or Aussie Alt ( :D ) onto the yeast cake yesterday, fridge set to 20°C. ~15% sugar, OG=1.048-50, FG~1.010 (76% attenuation). Down to SG=1.026 within 24 hours!
Both were mashed at 68°C for ~80mins.

The first one will go into the 2nd fridge in the next day or 2 to CC, then we'll see how it all clears up. So still early days, but i just thought i'd mention my progress for the record, and I'll report the more meaningful results when they carb up!

Last edited:
This weekend I was going to brew up something for this yeast, based on Bribie's recipe.

50% Golden Promise (2.3kg)
21.7% Raw sugar (1kg)
17.5% Pale malt (.8kg)
10% Supernova (.5kg)

Supernova is there for no reason other than "I have it and want to try it" so if anyone has any idea how much to use i'd be keen to hear it!

Same/similar hops as Bribies.
20g Cluster FWH
20g EKG FWH
20g Cluster cube
20g EKG cube

1.050 sg, 34 IBU
Mash at 68

Last pour from the keg of my Macclesfield xxxk. Good job I have 49 odd bottles in the garage and another tube of the magic goo left
20171027_210333.jpg

This yeast is a Draught Horse.
Slower Revs but consistent. This is something of what I have experienced on my first go with this elusive strain.

Two vials stir plated to up and activate then settle, (1.5l X 1.030) tip off, add 1l new wort (1.040)
Stir plate activation took off! Considered that good enough for 40lt brew at 1.050.
Again its been a slower pace than any yeast I've experienced.
Results yet to come. It smells very neutral so far.

Tooths 1917 Pale Ale. WLP059. Pressure fermented self carbonated. Excess volume in a 4lt mini keg on tap for taste testing cloudy green beer with yeasty fluffy head this is spectacular!
Cidery beer in a good way. Totally yummy. Like no other beer i have made but hitting good marks that I never have before.
I may bottle this for the Vic swap meet over two other options.

I'm feeling the commitment thing then for the swap bottle. I'm bringing mini kegs and such of the other good shit but who will remember those after the night haha
:overhead:

Good stuff,
Just finished the Bronzed brews, great book and value.
I'll get this one.

My new book is now available from Lulu.
Check their homepage for discount coupons.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/prsymons

Cheers
Peter
No chance you could make the Vic Case Swap on the 24-25th November 2017 is there?
Just in case some freak chance there will be three brewers at least committed to the wlp059 you launched.
I really like that yeast too, its new! in good ways to your 1917 Tooths Pale recipe as the first for me.
Love yu work!

No chance you could make the Vic Case Swap on the 24-25th November 2017 is there?
Just in case some freak chance there will be three brewers at least committed to the wlp059 you launched.
I really like that yeast too, its new! in good ways to your 1917 Tooths Pale recipe as the first for me.
Love yu work!

Well I would love to but unfortunately have other commitments. Perhaps next year when ANHC is on there would be an opportunity for a 059 fest??
Peter

I just kegged up the tooheys 1913 pale ale yesterday going on Bribies posted receipe as my book had not arrived by then.
I think its good, malty with all the sugaz but mashing at 69 prob helped ,but it also crisp like a lager but its an ale, interesting yeast. Glad I grown and froze a heap as its going to be good to try a few other receipes.

Should keep my Mega swill drinking mates happy.... but I kinda like it after a few schooners sarvo its grown on me. Should mellow off a tad in the next couple of weeks.

I too find that unique catty background taste, I used to get it 25 years ago in the old xxxx beers.
1913 Tooheys.jpg

Cheers

Nice and clear Coldspace. Kegged yesterday? Cold conditioned before transfer? I assume. Do you draw beer from the bottom? Mine is still quite cloudy. I'm going to have to look into those clear beer things that draw the beer from the top etc.

Nice and clear Coldspace. Kegged yesterday? Cold conditioned before transfer? I assume. Do you draw beer from the bottom? Mine is still quite cloudy. I'm going to have to look into those clear beer things that draw the beer from the top etc.
Hey mate,
This brew was done in my old stainless fermenter as my kegmenters were occupied at the time.

I also only brewed 23 ltr batch first to try it , next time I'll go a double into the kegmenter .

Was brewed at 20 degrees for 7 days then 3 days at 23 to finish out plus dry hop. I then biofine , and cc to 0 for 8 days then siphoned into corney and mini keg been carefull not to suck up any crap.
Did yesterday morning, then onto the gas at 38 psi for 24 hrs. Then leave for 6, poured sarvo.
Happy days....

Last edited:
Can taste the carbonic bite abit from the force carb compared to my pressure ferment brews. Deff can tell a diff in force carb and natural carb now I'm so used to natural carb. Haven't done a force carb beer in ages, so it will improve over the coming weeks .
Will be keen to do some kegmenter brews next up with this yeast.

Hey mate,
This brew was done in my old stainless fermenter as my kegmenters were occupied at the time.

I also only brewed 23 ltr batch first to try it , next time I'll go a double into the kegmenter .

Was brewed at 20 degrees for 7 days then 3 days at 23 to finish out plus dry hop. I then biofine , and cc to 0 for 8 days then siphoned into corney and mini keg been carefull not to suck up any crap.
Did yesterday morning, then onto the gas at 38 psi for 24 hrs. Then leave for 6, poured sarvo.
Happy days....

FYI I have seen no evidence of dry hopping PA in 20th century Australian brewing records so far.
Peter

Last edited:
FYI I have seen no evidence of dry hopping PA in 20th century Australian brewing records so far.
Peter
Ok cool, it was my f up, as I just followed bribies posted receipe and it states 20 grms d hop into the pitching, but I was doing another brew at the same time and forgot, so just chucked it in at the end of ferment .
Will get it right next time, still happy with the result,
Can't wait for your next book to arrive, will keep me busy for ages your books :)

Got some original early 1900 tooths and reschs tallies from a collector I'm gunna fill up with a receipe from your book and drink from them as a tribute.
#lovethisbrewingstuff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back