Whirlpool Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacnud

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently came across a couple of recipes in the DB that include a hop addition at whirlpool. Just wondering what exactly that means and when do people usually whirlpool? Do you wait for it to cool a bit? I no-chill but I've found that if I whirlpool straight after boiling it just starts convecting once it's slowed down a bit.

So the main questions are:

How long should I wait after boiling to whirlpool?

When do you add "Whirlpool additions"? Same question twice??

Thanks.

My pot takes about 20 mins to cool down enough for the convection currents to settle down post boil. Then I whirlpool. Add hops now if need be. Wait another 15 or so mins until whirlpool has done its thing. Drain to fermenter via chiller or no chill. Whatever your thing is. Maybe u use an immersion chiller.

Different people do different things.

My method - add whirlfoc/irish moss/carrageegan 10 minutes from flameout.
At flameout - place sanitised lid over kettle and let sit 20 mins.
Whirlpool. Add 0 minute hop additions at this point.
Wait 20 more minutes.
Run off to cube.

OK, yeah that makes sense. So how much difference will it make to aroma from whirlpool additions if I wait 15 vs 20 mins before I whirlpool? Will the temperature drop enough in that time to stop isomerization?

Flameout, add hops, whirlpool, let sit for 10 mins, start draining into fermenter. I'm adding whirlpool hops for aroma so I want to chill my beer down as quickly as possible after i add hops to capture that aroma. It takes about 20 minutes to drain the kettle (40L batch) so the longer I wait after adding my hops, the less aroma is in my beer.

Latest posts

Back