Which Dried Yeast For Northern Brown Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moray

Reaction score
I pitched an out of date 1099 smack pack, which was smacked on Wednesday last and had swelled a bit.
Into a northern brown ale last sunday. It has failed to start so I'm looking for a dried yeast to pitch today and give it a helping hand.

so as the topic title says which dried yeast would people recommend for a northern brown ale ?

cheers
Moray

I used Nottingham in one recently and it was a very nice beer.
This would be my choice everytime.
Otherwise s04 would be my other choice.
I wouldn't use Windsor myself unless I had mashed lower in readiness for the low attenuation.

Easy choice, SO4.

There's a rumour that Wyeast 1099 and SO4 are the same strain, but either way SO4 is ideal for a NB Ale.

tdh

Easy choice, SO4.

There's a rumour that Wyeast 1099 and SO4 are the same strain, but either way SO4 is ideal for a NB Ale.

tdh

+1 I had to recently do a quick dash to Winequip to grab some S04 to save a beer after some yeast failed on me. Good thing there was a HBS so close to save my bacon. <_<

Warren -

You can get paks of yeasts from Big w to i haveused them and their good

Each time I've used S04 I've vowed never to use it again. Never used Nottingham because it's not available to me but from all I've heard it sounds like a good choice. If Nottingham's not available I'd rather use S05 than S04 and just deal with the likely greater attenuation (and therefore maybe a too dry finish for your English brown) and not much flavour contribution from the yeast. This is just my experience with S04 and there are a lot of other factors obviously, since other people seem to use it with some success. All that aside, if you can get some fresh 1028, 1275 or 1335 that would be best.

So what is it you don't like about S-04, brad?

SO4 is a brilliant yeast.
What's the problem?

tdh

US05; quick, clean, no problems.

I've used S04, it's a PITA as it slows down a lot when the temp is under 16*C, I've had to rouse up stalled fermentations a few times. But when it works, it produces a nice flavour. I'm actually brewing with a 2nd gen recultured right now and it's chugging along because I'm taking the effort to keep it warmer.
Nottingham is better at fermentation at low temps, faster fermentation, more attenuation too, but the flavour is not as good as s04.
edit: I think for bitters or brown ales use S04 but make sure the temp doesn't drop too low. Nottingham is more suited to stouts and darker ales IMHO.

well it is an ale yeast!
Yeah but the nottingham doesn't, hence the comparison! If fact even coopers yeast doesn't, I found s04 the worst in this regard, that's my point.
BTW I should have said around 16C, not under 16C. Most of my brews are around 16C constantly which is the main reason why I used nottingham as it's better rated at lower temps. But I have tried s04 for ales as it's better suited and that's where a lot of problems started, it didn't like 16C, while the nottingham didn't mind it and the coopers pale ale didn't mind it either. If you could keep the temp above 16C I'd say that there is no problems with s04, I've made a nice couple of brews with it, just takes a long time. Nottingham is cleaner, faster, drier which suits certain styles and definitely suits fermentation below 18C better.

Yeah, he always posts whats available at supermarkets, you should look the history up. Gimmick, someone with shares in woolies, or someone with no access to LHBS, (or just plain hates HB shops), who knows?

Thanks all for your advice.

I went to the hbs near my work to get some s04 only to be told they don't stock it.
Ended up getting a pack of Brew Cellar Premium ale yeast which is apparently s04.

I went to pitch it tonight, cut the package open, opened the fermenter and was greeted by a healthy looking Krausen :D

Seeing as I had already opened the dried yeast I pitched it as well, probably not such a good idea but time will tell.

cheers
Moray

Latest posts

Back