Where To Buy Stainless Stockpots In Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen them at preston market. I will check some prices for you when I am there later int he week.

When i bought my aluminuim pot from the dog/bird asian shop (rough rough-cheep cheep) , it was listed as being 50 litres...i calibrated it at 47...so be aware with the cheap pots from these stores ( stainles included possibly ) that they are not always what they say they are..especially for volume...
Just my 2c
Cheers
Ferg

No worries Ferg, will be taking my tape measure with me when I go looking.

Anyone know the calculation to get volume from diameter x depth thingamy?

brewbienewbie said:
Victoria Street is definitely worth a look, there's a bunch of shops selling great big pots
+1

There is one shop called chef land near SE corner of Victoria Street and church street. There is another store on the NW of that intersection also, about 100m from the corner. Both are on Victoria Street, both cheap. I got my pots and a lot of other gear from chef land, all good. Inspect first.

With G&G having their Fathers Day Sale this week may be worth checking again...

Thanks lads, heading into Victoria Street this morning for a wander, back via Springvale if I get no love in Richmond..

must remember to take tape measure

:icon_cheers:

What sort of base thickness is recommended? Staying clear of the 1mm, there is a good sandwich base SS one about 7mm or some aluminium 4mm for about half to 2/3 the cost down the road...

Usually it depends on the way you want to use it. Direct fire would recommend a nice thick sandwich. If one uses an element then thin is good, especially when selling holes and plumbing braumeister style.

Will be gas fire heated so leaning toward the bling sandwich base... $369 is a fair whack to shell out for a kettle…

Off to springvale to see if I can find a bargain there…

Definitely Victoria street, didn't get the chance to fully explore springvale road as the bub cracked it and we headed home sooner than otherwise would have been the case..

Best one I found was the 100l stainless one for $369 with a 7mm sandwiched base, other options were certainly available for cheaper if I wanted to go aluminium but the thickest base I could find was 4mm.

Other options have now become available to me so I probably won't need to do any more searching for a bit.

Sandwich base is a total waste of money on a brew kettle, there is no need for a soft diffused even heat.

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
Sandwich base is a total waste of money on a brew kettle, there is no need for a soft diffused even heat.

Cheers Ross
I'm surprised - I thought conventional wisdom says you might get scorching? ( I have no experience with gas - just curious)

The 100l stainless with a 1mm base were cheaper by far but I thought they felt thin and could easily scorch, is this not a concern?

Back