Where Ahb People Are Coming From

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Could I suggest that AHB is more for the partial and all grain mashers?
And those who are working towards this?

I and most of the others here want to help anyone lookoing towards this.

Don't get all funny now , not having a go at anyone here , if i can help with you move to AG I am more than willing PM or email me.....or visit me !!

Batz

Batz said:

I and most of the others here want to help anyone looking towards this.

Don't get all funny now , not having a go at anyone here , if i can help with you move to AG I am more than willing PM or email me.....or visit me !!

Batz
[post="45476"][/post]​
Hi Batz
I've just moved from K&K thru can & extras into Masterbrews, and hope to go on to partials soon, but at this time NO intentions of going all grain at all.
But I see AHB as very helpful to me, both now and I hope in the future.
I am relatively new to computers, as most will know by now :( but have been brewing for a while.
I hope that you and all the others will continue to help me, even tho I am only a up-market K&K brewer.
Normell
:D :huh: :D

normell said:
at this time NO intentions of going all grain at all.
[post="45484"][/post]​

oh dear, that's where it all starts :excl:

signed, wee stu - the "I don't want to go there" K & K'er who is only planning 3 all grains in the next 3 days :)

give into the dark side now - resistance is futile.

No offence taken here at Backlane , Batz.

Our take on this has always been that for us, K&K was part of a journey towards...who knows? Kit plus? Partial mash? AG? Whatever suits the brewer.

For the record, we are now doing kit plus beer, all juice ciders (various juices & flavourings), fruit wine (the first batch of mango wine went on this week) as well as looking at learning food pickling/fermentation techniques(sour cherries, dill pickles, real sauerkraut etc.). Oh, plus preserved lemons, and flavoured vodka-based liquers.
And the lauter tun project is up & running, so attempts at some sort of AG are on the way.

The lengths you wish to go in exploring HB & related stuff is one of the many areas of HB where it's down to the individual. Our detour into brewing using soft drinks is one example- what we think is an interesting curiosity looks like a disgusting waste of time to others.

Batz said:

I and most of the others here want to help anyone lookoing towards this.

Batz
[post="45476"][/post]​

I aggree, before I found this site I didn't even know what AG, Mash, Extract etc etc (and on and on and on and on) was, now I am slowly moving up the chains (done 1 partial so far) :D

I came by AHB looking for kegging resources.

I was a contented K&K bloke at the time and had no intention of using grains, hops or even a teabaggy thingy

But, as even the K&K questions get answered with replies suggesting steeping, part mash, liquid yeasts .. there's no doubting where the direction of the forum will lead you.

Now I'm a contented part masher with no intentions of AG'ing ..

I think a separate "Kits and Bits" sub-forum might be the best solution.

It seems to me that in the past 2-3 months the number of threads about kits has increased dramatically. Now there's nothing wrong with brewing kits. Many (but by no means all) part mashers and AG brewers put the odd kit on as a quick way to fill a keg or some bottles... but I agree with Batz and think that kits are for "home fermenting", not homebrewing.

I don't think the attitude should be to send newbies to learn kit brewing elsewhere then come here when they're ready to make real beer, but containing their often repetitive threads to a separate forum would be a great idea!

Is no one going to bite? Oh well...
Think a newbie forum would be a good idea, but it will only work if people actually look at previous threads/posts in it before asking (again) about sucrose, oxidization, plastic vs glass, fermenting temps, how to pull apart kegs, best pumps/mills etc. etc. etc.

Also, I don't think the repetitive threads are 100% confined to K&K topics. Maybe the current upgrade could could extend to include a bigger shinier search button.

I think some good point have been brought up in this thread.

It's good to see that AHB is finding it's own niche and if that is "partial and all grain mashers" then thats great.

I think it's definately something that we should look at, splitting the forum up a bit to different sections.

A newbie section is a good idea, me being probabaly the biggest newbie brewer on the forums :p I started this site cause I couldn't find a lot of local information when I bought my first beer kit and no look what has happened.

I think if a newbie section is going to go ahead, work defiantely has to be done on the FAQ's and Tutorials, I know there are a couple floating around on the site, but we should bring those together and get a really good fact file going so people can get all the reference they need and then start to move on into the more complicated processes (if they wish).

People are always going to brew for different reasons so I think defferent sections makes sense.

I think it's crazy that people have "issues" with K&K 'brewer's and vica-versa. I think more defined sections in the forums should allow information to flow easier and may help stop some of the crazy postings that have been going on lately.

I might change the colour of the search section again to entice people to search before they post. But I think a revised Resource/Fact File/FAQ's/Tutorial section would be really useful.

:party:

well i take exception to the fact that all us k&k brewers ask repetitive questions because from what i can see we ask these questions because we dont know where the previous question by someone else was answered and it is also a way to communicate with home brewers on this site,and if a new brewer came on here and only ever went to look at his queries on past posts he would never have to come on the forum and get to know the other brewers on this site,and by asking the stupid same old question we get different answers from different brewers as there is not usually only one way of doing things.and also there are new people on here that like to express their opinion on what they do and are only too pleased to answer a question which has already been asked on this forum. and if you take the time to look a lot of you AG experts still ask the same old stupid repetitive things as well but maybe as you guys are AG brewers you are allowed to ask the same old repetitive questions instead of looking it up in the past answers
cheers
fergi

Calm down fergi.
No one ever said ALL K&K brewers ask repetitive questions. Take a few deep breaths & then read PostModern & my posts again.
Batz original was a sincere offer to help anyone who asks.
What's to take exception to?

And getting sarcastic- "you AG experts" etc. gets the issue, and the forum, nowhere.

I'm a kits and bits brewer. (next brew will be my first partial - then - who knows??)
I've asked some dumb questions that have always been politely answered by people that are AGers.

So we end up with a few "sub forums" - big deal.
If I was starting again, I would find a section for the absolute beginner a welcome sight.

My 2c.

Cheers

Just a thought - can we split the Gear and Equipment section to say Keg gear and AG gear??

Dane,
I think you summed it up well and in the interests of dowsing the "repetitive question" fire, you should lock the thread.

Roach

So Post Modern
I think a separate "Kits and Bits" sub-forum might be the best solution.

It seems to me that in the past 2-3 months the number of threads about kits has increased dramatically. Now there's nothing wrong with brewing kits. Many (but by no means all) part mashers and AG brewers put the odd kit on as a quick way to fill a keg or some bottles... but I agree with Batz and think that kits are for "home fermenting", not homebrewing.

I don't think the attitude should be to send newbies to learn kit brewing elsewhere then come here when they're ready to make real beer, but containing their often repetitive threads to a separate forum would be a great idea!

How do we graduate from K&Kers right up to the good god almightyAG brewer,s if we are put into another section. :blink:
We are not even good enough to be called brewers, just "fermeners"
I was thinking that one day in the distant future, of becoming an AG brewer, but now I dont know if I want to, if I'll end up with an attitude like that. :blink:
I thought that AHB was for all brewers, but it must be for all grain brewers instead.
But than again, as I have proved just recently that i am a D**khead brewer, sorry "fermenter"
Normell

Normell perhaps we could put you under "Humour and Jokes" section ?

Whoa !! only joking only joking :D

normell said:
How do we graduate from K&Kers right up to the good god almightyAG brewer,s if we are put into another section. :blink:

Normell,

It is all about grouping similar posts to make it easier to navigate and find info.
You can change your brewing style by reading other sub-forums.
You would still have access to each of the categories.
Consider it like the Fiction and Non-Fiction sections in a library.

Doc

jeez some people are touchy...and selective readers too.
From past experience I know how touchy some people get when any sort of distinction is drawn between K&K and AG, but still always amazes me watching people shoot their mouths off online.
Normell, wait til you re-read your post tomorrow. I don't know whether or not you are a dickhead, but in the post you come across as a spoilt 5 year old, stamping his foot in the playground. Lighten up.

Can we get some reasoned ideas on this please? FAQs & sub sections should make the whole forum more useful for all of us.

What I see happen is a newbie brewer leaps in, number of posts =1, Question, I have a new brewery, and ........ In some forums, the curt answer is, USE THE SEARCH BUTTON YOU GIMME TOSA. Fortunately, this is not so on this forum.

Someone answers their initial questions, gently suggests to read the forums, the newbie undergoes a learning process of using forums as well as learning to brew beer. By the time they progress to mini mashing, they have a good handle on forum etiquette and the search button.

By reading other exchanges, you end up with lots of ideas. If all you read about is what brewbag or hopbag to add to what kit, that is the level you stay at. There is life after the $2.50 hop teabag.

I do agree, that beginner info needs to be in an easily accessable format. Answers to those hard beginner questions such as, my airlock isn't working, do need to be in one spot.

I am continued to be amazed how personally people take some of this stuff.

I'm not sure if it is that people are drinking too much...or not enough!

*sighs*

As Doc pointed out this isn't about grouping people based on how they brew, it is about making it easier for everyone to use this site.

I think I have an idea on what reorganising I need to do.

I know there is a nice tutorial addon for this, which might come in handy.

Break it up into brewing types (see guys, brewing types not personality types), and then brewing levels and styles.

Just a one stop shop for general questions and problems people may run into. The tute can that advise them to search the forum for more info, and if you are unable to find it then they can post a question.

You will find people in here are happy to help others. You will also find if you try and help yourself by doing a bit of research and exlplain that in your post then the answer that you get will be even better.

Jeez Fergie, I nearly went blue reading that sentence :lol: :lol:
I agree with you though. If it's a question you've seen posted before just feel free to skip over it but there have been plenty of posts of so-called simple or repeated "newbie" questions where somebody chimes in with a new slant or a totally different solution - thinking "outside the box". I don't think it's a good idea to split into different groups & I really hate that ag brewers are real brewers & nobody else is attitude. (Fortunately rarely seen on this site) Let's stick together & all help each other out without looking down our noses at people who do things differently.

Rob

AG brewer (but still with heaps to learn)

I agree with pint of lager. I would like to add that the key is visibility as others have suggested previously. Its all well and good if there is a new brewers resource link, but for such a thing to work it needs to be highly visible so that they think of using it first rather than asking a question and being directed to it.

From past experience if it is not highly visible, the problem will emerge like the search button experience. ALA The solution to their question is in the search button, but generally they haven't seen it or thought of using it.

They therefore need to think of going there first rather than asking a question they may be deemed repetitive by members of this forum (which sometimes includes me!). I definitately agree though that people need to step back, and view the whole picture and relax. We are on the same team!

Will

Back