Where Ahb People Are Coming From

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite right PoMo, not all people, including myself, aspire to the pinnicle of brewing or fermentation

But the original offer from Batz was to help move people to your 'elite' level

There's been some great discussion and a lot of good ideas, but the topic seems to have evolved into a strategy to seperate the skill levels rather than to enhance them

The suggestion of deebee's FAQ and Basics is great and if you can direct traffic there that'd be one way to make good information available upfront so that you don't get the same 'silly questions' coming up ad-nauseum.

An FAQ section is a great idea. I also support a section on brewing basics to help eliminate silly questions.
clear account of home brewing explaining kit and extract brewing and maybe even a brief outline of the mash.

I thought that the way to get more people to that 'elite' group might be to have more generous offers of assistance and encouragement, as Batz originally made ?

Or maybe I've got hold of the wrong end of the thread ?

I've stayed out of this discussion thus far 'cause I think we've discussed many of these points before but...

Basically I think Deebee has hit the nail on the head. Part of the real strength of this forum is the mix of people and the mix of brewing styles/expertise. I'm not really for elitism of any sort and think most of the time we get the mix pretty right around here. I think the suggestion that we come up with a direction to some basic 'how-to' guides and FAQ's on registration is a good one. I don't really see the need to split the forum up too much though - I'd argue the reason those of us that have been around here for a while, since May 03 in my case with 143 longer than me, is because the forum is so good, and because the mix is generally pretty spot on. If some of the more experienced blokes don't want to answer really basic questions, fair enough, there are lots of others on here who can and will help out. This forum has seen my brewing move from kits and bits to AG and I'm very grateful for the support I've had here. Hopefully I've helped out a bit along the way as well and hope to do more so in the future as my experience level increases. I dunno, I reckon there are a lot more good things than bad about this forum as is. Some minor changes maybe along the lines of Deebee's post, but if it aint really broke why 'fix' it?

Now where can I join that group hug :p :party:

Shawn.

PostModern said:
Not everyone wants to progress into the "elite" group.
Hence the need for a forum for people who are happy with the kit-makers' products.
[post="45829"][/post]​

Too true PM , not all want to do AG , kit brewers are cool , beware most of us visited this site as a kit brewer or similar , it has truned may a happy kit brewer to a happy and poor AG brewer :lol:

Batz

Batz said:
Too true PM , not all want to do AG , kit brewers are cool , beware most of us visited this site as a kit brewer or similar , it has truned may a happy kit brewer to a happy and poor AG brewer :lol:

Batz
[post="45839"][/post]​

Amen to that Batz. I swore this year I was not, repeat not, going to make any further equipment purchases for the brury. Makes me wonder just where the $150 in the last two days went :rolleyes:

I almost rue the day I popped in here and asked a dull, boring and noobie question about bulk priming, or some such, for the kit and kilo brewer. However, my questions were politely answered and I was shown where to find more out. One of the great things about this forum is the wealth of knowledge which has been shared on it. If we can make it easier for people to access that knowledge quickly, then great.

Kit makers, extract brewers, fermentation assistants, I don't think anyone is trying to scare you away - but best be afraid anyway, be very afraid, because the pull of dark side is strong indeed :ph34r: .

And, as for AG'ers being an elite group - bollocks! I'm one now :p

Ok the plan is that rather doing an immediate re-organisation, I think everyone should start pooling weather it is just getting together already pinned/good topics (or stuff from the factfile forum) or writing their oen FAQ's, so I can start organising them into FAQ's.

I will look at this tutorial mod, otherwise I will just make MEGA posts with all the info in them.

Once we have some nice FAQ"s and resources we can look at reorganising stuff.

Not hard to see how you are spending all your free time Dane.

Cheers mate we all appreciate it :beerbang:

Batz

dane said:
Ok the plan is that rather doing an immediate re-organisation, I think everyone should start pooling weather it is just getting together already pinned/good topics (or stuff from the factfile forum) or writing their oen FAQ's, so I can start organising them into FAQ's.
[post="45849"][/post]​

Dane you are clearly hard at the ball. The emoticon has not yet been invented that can suitably convey my admiration.

OK Where do we send this stuff?

PM or Email.

At this stage if people want to just write (or point me to a particlar post that already has the info) I will collate it all and put it into one big FAQ post on that topic.

Maybe new brewing info is best at this stage, ie. glossary, equipment names and functions, basic brewing concepts, basic ingredients and affect on brew. Instructions on processes, ie. importance on cleanliness, yeast pitching/starts, hopping, racking, CC'ing, etc.

Kegging setups and advice etc. Bottling info.

I know the site probably has most of this info documented, but at thie moment I just don't have time to be searching and organising it. And as I have mentioned, it could be blind leading the blind, if I write all of this.

But I'm happy for people to send in info and I will collate and format it and get it online.

I have added the function of Auto PM new user on Reg, so I can point them there where it is online.

Just send in whatever you have and I will take it :)

Ok

As another suggestion - what about a link to Brew clubs inyour state/area.

we could also go for some mentoring - ie we pick the group we are happy to mentor - ie Chiller with the AG (beginner) miniflocs, i am happy with kitsbits for Adelaide etc.

Will get flamed here but they started as AG Beginers. :ph34r:

deebee said:
This forum is a well of information on every aspect of home brewing. The community it creates is priceless. F'rinstance, over the last couple of weeks I have had PMs from other members offering to lend me equipment, another referring me to an article on a beer I am planning to brew and another wanting to swap hop plants. Couldnt do it without AHB. *sniff*...

I love this forum very few wankers, just the odd meathead, a small number of clowns but 90% dedicated brewers happy to contribute to the community. Amongst them is a core of valuable members with high levels of expertise and even professional savvy. I am very grateful for this spirit of cooperation that has lifted my brewing above the basics. Lets not get too precious and cliquey about whos cool and whos not; its against the spirit of the forum.

An FAQ section is a great idea. I also support a section on brewing basics to help eliminate silly questions. I dont favour setting up different parts of the forum for different levels of brewing practices. More pigeonholes wont make the operation tidier. Just use your own discretion as to which threads you want to read and dont get cross with people asking the questions you were asking a few months or years ago.

Ideally all users who register should be directed to a clear account of home brewing explaining kit and extract brewing and maybe even a brief outline of the mash. This account should have links to appropriate threads on AHB and some other good basic texts and perhaps a strong recommendation that all brewers read How To Brew. It should also link to an FAQ page.

The FAQ page could be a work in progress for us over the next few months with members posting Qs & As and administrators trimming them back to the gooduns. Once complete it could be locked and available in a read-only format.

And finally, I love youse all.

Well, most of youse.
[post="45821"][/post]​

I have deliberately selected the quote function so that we all may read Dee bee's post again.
I personally agree with all he said and hope that those in doubt about the members on this site have another read.
Like Deebee, most of the regular members at some time have had PM's from others asking different questions re brewing methods or equipment and I am sure that with each enquiry there has been an honest and civil answer.
The original post by Batz only reflected that attitude from the more experienced to help those willing to learn and I know that he meant no more than that.
In SA I have been fortunate enough to attend many brew days and I have found a good cross cut of brewers and fermenters with varying degrees of experience but in the end each is prepared to help anyone who askes a genuine question.
I have met many brewers who regularly contribute to this forum and there advice is allways accurate and honest.
I lurked on this site for some time before I registered and when I think about it, it was so I could learn the lingo ( terminology) so as to not embarrass myself by asking what I thought might be dumb questions.
A section for FAQ's would be ideal so as to not jamb up the board with these enquiries.
I have since learnt that the only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask, or of course, reseach this site before you ask.
Top work to Dane for the new layout and honestly, if any aren't happy with the people who regularly contribute or the way the site operates, then the advice you need is generally available from your local HB shop.
Good luck with your hobby regardless of the level to which you choose to take it :beer:

Cheers

Latest posts

Back