Where Ahb People Are Coming From

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
normell,
Try this exercise: subscribe to OCB and post a kit question. Then get 10 of your friends to do the same. (Actually, don't do that).

We seem to have occupied the middle ground between the K+K group and the truly hardcore AG/Craft brewers. The recent influx of "kit only" brewers (from Grumpys??) has drastically changed the tone and focus of this forum, which is why I think Batz is getting put out.

There is nothing to stop you from reading the other forums if you wish to gain ideas about brewing your own beer and there is nothing stopping the AGers and other experienced brewers from offerring advice in a kit forum...

Stop being so defensive. We are not Grumpys and we aren't discriminating against any type of brewer. My suggestion was to try to make things BETTER for K+K brewers.

I think Batz has the devil in him and just started this thread to get yet another rip roaring blue going!

But I'm only saying Backlane, if all were like Post Modern, with statements like, but I agree with Batz and think that kits are for "home fermenting", not homebrewing.
If that aint being elitist, and putting down as inferior, all that ain't AGer's, it's my turn to shout, whattya all drinking. :huh:

PM's opinion or lack of it on how you choose to make beer is down to him.

From what I've seen of his posts he knows his stuff, but I would no more choose to be upset by what he & Batz may think of kit brewing than whether they might prefer tea to coffee. It just doesn't matter. As far as I can tell they were only expressing honest opinions on a site they have been involved with for years.

Nor will I decide be offended by your crack about "great God almighty AG brewers" when I stick the airlock in our first batch of AG in a couple of weeks.

I thought this thread was about making the forum even better for all of us to use. It's funny, I was reading my 5 year old daughter Dr Suess' "Star Bellied Sneetches" just the other day...she got the point. :)

normell said:
But I'm only saying Backlane, if all were like Post Modern, with statements like, but I agree with Batz and think that kits are for "home fermenting", not homebrewing.
If that aint being elitist, and putting down as inferior, all that ain't AGer's, it's my turn to shout, whattya all drinking. :huh:
[post="45634"][/post]​

Look, you can take it as elitist if you like. If you continued to read more of my post instead of jumping up and down about one point, you might get some benefit from this discussion. Frankly, I can't be bothered arguing with you. Take some time to read my old posts and you might understand that I hold nothing against the kit, nor against the k+k brewer. Some of my best friends brew kits.

Dane, if you set up a new forum for k+k, I'll gladly help move existing appropriate threads into it.

I think the idea of a seperate forum is a good idea?

Why? Well it's simple. People get tired of answering the same questions, and after a while, even the most patient person will be taken to the point of answering a q with "use the bloody search button".

When i first joined this forum, i didn't even know that there was such a thing as partial or full mash brewing for home brewers. I thought the whole world revolved around kits, but thanks to this forum, and the suggestions to read "How to brew" i learned that kits weren't all that there was.

However, it was not until i went along a a brisbane brew day and tasted some AG beers that i decided to give up on kit brewing, and move to partials / ag.

So we want to be kind to new members, give them a good section where they can read planty of FAQ's, and slowly try to convince them to try partial mashes.

I am a hardcore OCB user and really really enjoy it. Some of the exchanges are a bit over the top and the page down button gets used. Other posts get saved to the bits and pieces files.

It is totally different in the way information gets distributed. Yes, questions get asked and not answered, but have seen the same here, once something slips under the 10 recent post box, it vanishes. Depends on who is watching and who is asleep. It does not mean someone is sitting there just letting the questions slip through.

The internet brewing community has helped me go from infected K+K to award winning all grainer.

Yep I hink some sub catgories will help to organise posts better, I've been here for a bit over a year and the traffic going though the site has increased massively making it increasingly hard to find what you want. There is some gold in these forums but it can be hard to find.

This is not about trying to put brewers into boxes based on how they choose to brew but making the site easier to use for all.

And remember your not a real brewer unless .... <insert whatever definition you want as long as it has to do with brewing beer> :beerbang:

This is not about trying to put brewers into boxes based on how they choose to brew but making the site easier to use for all.

that's what I thought, but apparently some people see it differently.

And remember your not a real brewer unless .... <insert whatever definition you want as long as it has to do with brewing beer>
you can hold your pint while headbanging without spilling a drop like this little fella
:beerbang:

Backlane out, think I've said enough for one day...

Doc said:
It is all about grouping similar posts to make it easier to navigate and find info.
You can change your brewing style by reading other sub-forums.
You would still have access to each of the categories.
Consider it like the Fiction and Non-Fiction sections in a library.

Doc
[post="45613"][/post]​

Jeez Doc I'm surprised that everyone let this comment go through to the keeper. I'd like to know which style of brewing is fiction ;) ?

I just love a good flame war on the topic of AG vs everyone else. Top work Batz, even if you weren't trolling I think you've already caught your bag limit :lol: !

Dane, maybe we can have a new emoticon of a little smiley face with a fishing rod?

Cheers
MAH

Batz,

Your kind invitation certainly set the bats amongst the mangoes...lol

You mentioned on a posting re grains that you were interested in freight to Sunshine coast - you heading to Qld mate?.....

Hi

I'm a newbie K+K beer enthusiast who's come to this site because I want to make a better beer. So i've only made 8 or 10 beers over the last year, got one fermenter, no fridge and no real idea. But, I repeat - I found this site because I wanted to make a better beer .

My first post I trod on a few toes asking about a Brown Mild with a certain can - it wasn't the most interesting topic for AG's or even partials but I got helpful useful answers and increased my knowledge. I've read a few posts from those who have hundreds of posts saying that this site brought them a huge way in a small period of time. Every brewer can learn something from the smallest bit of information - god these hundreds of different ways to do things.

Me I found that the links in Fact File and Resources were the best introduction to the world of better tasting beer. So my two cents worth is - post on the front of the forum a Newbies sub-forum and anchor a whole lot of topics, including those from the Fact file and resources bit. Make it impossible to miss.....

Me i'm off to drink a Muntons pilsner with extra hops, wheat malt, brew booster, better yeast - all found off this site!

Matthew

Perhaps they could be put under the " Humor & Jokes" section :blink:

Whoa !!!

Only Joking , only joking . :lol: :lol:

Settle guys have a Homebrew , be it whatever

Batz ( the bad boy )

Did I open that??

Ross said:
Batz,

Your kind invitation certainly set the bats amongst the mangoes...lol

You mentioned on a posting re grains that you were interested in freight to Sunshine coast - you heading to Qld mate?.....
[post="45662"][/post]​

Yes I am

And hope to be able to have a beer with all the Qld. brewers

Look forward to it Batz... :chug:

Hopefully I'll have a few AG's in the kegs by then as well.... :super:

:D This is like a socio political debate(very entertaining).A bit like communism.
On a small scale its all about the common unity and love your fellow human.
As it grows it becomes factionalised and divisions and different status and personal interest groups appear.
Beer is in danger of becoming like wine and becoming an entity that is disparate from its essence.
I personally have learnt much and will learn much more from this site.The fact that i brew extract is irrelevant to my status.
The future is ,you split and have different forums or we all apply some tolerance and continue into the future witH a common goal.MAKING GOOD BEER.
Here ends my political 2c worth. :excl:

phantom said:
:D This is like a socio political debate(very entertaining).A bit like communism.
On a small scale its all about the common unity and love your fellow human.
As it grows it becomes factionalised and divisions and different status and personal interest groups appear.
Beer is in danger of becoming like wine and becoming an entity that is disparate from its essence.
I personally have learnt much and will learn much more from this site.The fact that i brew extract is irrelevant to my status.
The future is ,you split and have different forums or we all apply some tolerance and continue into the future witH a common goal.MAKING GOOD BEER.
Here ends my political 2c worth. :excl:
[post="45702"][/post]​

:blink: :huh: Holy Moly

jgriffin said:
I think the idea of a seperate forum is a good idea?

Why? Well it's simple. People get tired of answering the same questions, and after a while, even the most patient person will be taken to the point of answering a q with "use the bloody search button".

Finally someone has noticed I don't answer many of the FAQ's anymore.
Good spotting jgriffin.

Doc

PS: Must almost time to close this topic, as I think everyone has stated their point and had their say.

PPS: I don't want to categorise what is Fiction or Non Fiction MAH. Categorisation and putting people in boxes can be bad :lol:

I agree with the whole search first thing however, I did find when I first started out, I didn't even know what I was supposed to be searching for... Special names for things etc etc

Latest posts

Back