When a H.B. Shop should say "Kits and Bits" only!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
All the stores I have dealt with including Brewman, ESB Peakhurst shop, Country Brewer and of course CraftBrewer keep their hops in the fridge or a cool room.

Hey that isn't Ross's Craftbrewer you are referring to, on Christine Place in the industrial estate? Wow doesn't sound like the CB I know.
Or are you referring to Tru Brew at Capalaba on Old Cleveland Road?
Yep, Bribie. I checked the location in Google Maps on my phone - it was Christine Place. Maybe he was peed off about something before I got there (or because I got there), but I'm not going back to check.

The reason I went was it looked like he had a huge range (according to the website) and I wanted to check it out. I nomally get all my stuff delivered from Barleyman (who I can't criticise in any possible way and I'm supremely happy with), but it must be incredibly expensive for anyone to stock everything everyone wants (especially for a business that's relatively young).

antiphile said:
For most of the stuff I had a really nice young guy (perhaps with a slight stutter) who served me.
I've been served by that bloke before, back in March when I was there, nice bloke and we had a good chat.

GalBrew said:
Yeah, I have never pulled a bag of hops out of a freezer at any homebrew shop anywhere.
National homebrew have a big walk in freezer in store. I've never gotten hops out of it because I order online and make Martin go into the cold to get the hops.

crowmanz said:
I've been served by that bloke before, back in March when I was there, nice bloke and we had a good chat.

National homebrew have a big walk in freezer in store. I've never gotten hops out of it because I order online and make Martin go into the cold to get the hops.
I'm not silly, I usually delegate someone else (the girls) to go in there and freeze for the morning picks while I'm doing my mill monkey regime. :ph34r:

antiphile said:
For most of the stuff I had a really nice young guy (perhaps with a slight stutter) who served me.

The sergeant-major came out, looked me up and down, and seemed to size me up as a blithering half-wit.

PS. At least it wasn't a totally wasted drive. I did the grocery shopping at the Capalaba shopping centre on the way home. And it is absolutely huuuuuge.
I got the bloke with the stutter. Really friendly, nice to deal with and we also had a good chat. I agree that he wasn't as knowledgeable but when knowledge and arrogance seem to go hand in glove then I can happily take that. I'm guessing Tony's the ser-major. I haven't had too many issues but having said that I am going to return a gas splitter tomorrow as it didn't fit my gas lines so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

As for the shopping centre, which one? There are 2 right across the road from each other. Don't ask my why.

Fair enough, but I didn't get his name AND when he is a shining light of customer service I would like to think we could be forgiven. From now on I will refer to him as the young bloke with the dark brown hair in a pony tail. Or I'll find out his name.

Coodgee said:
Probably not the nicest way to identify the young salesperson guys...
You're probably right, Coodgee. And I wholeheartedly apologise if it was offensive; it really wasn't intended that way.

antiphile said:
You're probably right, Coodgee. And I wholeheartedly apologise if it was offensive; it really wasn't intended that way.
+1 no offence intended. It just struck me at the time that, despite his struggles he came across as being really helpful and a pleasure to deal with. All things considered I figured it would be easy for Ross to know who he is so that he can give him a big wrap and encourage his other staff and managers to be just as friendly and personable. When antiphile mentioned him I thought, YES, that's the bloke. Unfortunately some of our most obvious traits are the ones that we wish weren't so identifiable. As for me, I'm sure I'm remembered as "Did you talk to that fat ******* with the beard? He's a cnut!".

Retail can be a tough gig. Home-brewing is a niche market and if you were going to get into it you'd want someone in there for you that knew their stuff. But I think that there is a certain percentage of humanity who can pass themselves off as reasonably intelligent but who are in reality part off the twilight-zone. Lights on but no one home. It's called the idiot factor and our world is seriously affected by it. I'm more than happy with the chap I deal with for my grain and stuff. Knows his products and has never bullshitted or ripped me off. What more could a poor home-brewer want?

Vini2ton said:
I'm more than happy with the chap I deal with for my grain and stuff. Knows his products and has never bullshitted or ripped me off. What more could a poor home-brewer want?
+ lots and lots. Well said, squire.

Barge said:
As for me, I'm sure I'm remembered as "Did you talk to that fat ******* with the beard? He's a cnut!".
I'm absolutely sure that's the way I'm remembered!

With the research I've read, I'd be concerned if my retailer wasn't storing their hops in a freezer and vac sealed.

I also briefly dealt with that young bloke at Craftbrewer when I went down there last week to pick up my kegerator. He was polite and friendly but a bit unsure, so he directed me into the office to speak with Anthony about it, who was really helpful with any questions I had about it, and sorted it all quickly. I regularly go there for grains and liquid yeasts and have never had any issues with the staff.

I also go to the Annerley shop for other small items like DME for my yeast starters and dextrose for bottle priming. Occasionally I get specialty grains from there. They're always friendly as well but I do get the impression they're not quite as knowledgeable. Having said that, I've never asked them for any in depth brewing advice either.

Not had a problem at Craftbrewer and use them for hops or grains if my preferred one does not have. Bought lots of BIAB fittings in there as well.

I prefer to use the one in Cleveland and always get brilliant service in there. He has expanded the shop keeps yeast / hops in fridge/freezer. Has a small selection of shiny stainless bits and is cheaper then the others. He is selling the grainfather so is starting to get a good choice of grains as well.

I regularly shop at craftbrewer and have never had a problem with any of the staff there. Anthony has always helped me with any questions on recipes or my all grain equipment setup and recently helped me set up my keg system.

mosto said:
. It's a Country Brewer franchise with lots of kits on the shelves up one end, a shit load of essences down the other and a few bags of spec grains, dextrose, brew enhancers etc in between. However, if I ring or email them beforehand, they'll get a 25kg bag of base malt in and have been able to get most strains of yeast in that I've asked for.
Have only herd good things about this mob B)

Spiesy said:
That's dumb. If you're selling gear worth hundreds of dollars you should at least know how it needs to be prepped before use.
No. Not always. Plenty of situations where you buy something from a shop and they dont always know how it should be used

I have walked into plenty of trade supply places ( selling big $$ equipment ) and they always point you towards the manufacturer

I can nearly bet my balls and anyone's balls than if you walked in to buy a $1500 mig welder that the bloke behind the counter has never struck an arc in his life. But he can read the leaflet.

Same as the wholesaler I deal with. The guy behind the counter knows SFA about electricity, can not say how to use the product, but can recite the whole catalog verbatim.

Does the retailer need to know everything about every product..... No they dont.

Fylp said:
Shit! I never realised how spoiled I am living 5min from ESB.
And if you're 5 minutes from ESB, you're a max 10 from Barleyman, so blessed indeed.

Latest posts

Back