Wheat Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ross,
Mix the puffed wheat through the other grains in the mash tun and as BLB said when it gets wet it will mash OK.
I dont use that puffed wheat, I get the true Torrified Wheat from the brew shop and crack it along with the rest of the grains.
I had an unusual experience with a packet of puffed wheat from the supermarket and I have chosen not to use it again.
Cheers

Dicko,

Please elaborate.... No way I'm using them now.... LOL

Now guys dont be put off.
What happened was I used a packet (unknown brand ) of puffed wheat in a creame ale and it came out with a lot higher specific gravity that I had anticipated.
I think the phrase " no added sugar " may have meant that it had some sugar but they did not add any more.
It wasn't a bad beer but each time I drank it, it gave me one hell of a headache. :party: B)
I have tried a search for the topic title " Blow your bloody head off cream ale" but I cant find it at the moment.
A lot of other guys use the puffed wheat from the supermarket with success but I figure if I am going to put an ingredient in my beer I want to know exactly what it is.
Torrified wheat is readily available from brew shops in Adelaide and I just weigh it out and put it through the mill with my other grains.
Cheers

Must admit I just add the torrefied wheat to the mash tun without crushing.

Since wheat has no husk and it has been puffed the water and enzymes can get into the wheat very easily

Jovial Monk

Back