Wheat Beers....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandreas

Reaction score
A silly question maybe.....

I have always loved German wheat beers. But can someone please tell me the difference between hefe-weizen, heiferweizen, weissbier and a wit?

Wheat beer information

Bloody slow day at work today.... I just found a website that describes (seemingly exhaustively) all the differences in wheat beers and wheat beer terminology. So now that I've found my answers, I thought I'd post the link in case anyone else has similar questions.

Cheers!

The linked article suggests "Seven Types of Wheat Beer".

I would suggest at least 2 more:

The Wheat Wine (as opposed to Barleywine) or Wheat Trippel at 9% alcohol from Unibroue, known as Don de Dieu;

and the Gose (of which I have attempted to make a version) from Berlin. This beer has an exemption from the Rheinheitsgebot, as it has been traditionally brewed for over 1000 years using coriander and salt (or brackish water).

Seth (wheat beer w!inker) ;)

A silly question maybe.....

I have always loved German wheat beers. But can someone please tell me the difference between hefe-weizen, heiferweizen, weissbier and a wit?

Depends on the origin of the beer as to what language is used to describe it, in German hefe means yeast and weizen means wheat, so hefeweizen is a wheat beer with yeast (unfiltered or with yeast) look on the label it may say mit hefe. Weisse is White so Weissbier is a white or very pale beer. Not too certain about the Belgian but a pretty sure wit means white.

Edit: Just in case your wondering also in German, Dunkel means dark and Doppel means double. Pretty sure thats dubbel in Belgian.

Wheat beers hey?

Wheat.JPG

Little out of line I know.....but I hate wheat beers!

Batz

If you like wheat beers, make a 100% wheat.

Mash at about 64-65 and use the usual noble hop/s to about 20-25 IBU's.

Goes down like nectar on a hot summers day.

cheers
johnno

Depends on the origin of the beer as to what language is used to describe it, in German hefe means yeast and weizen means wheat, so hefeweizen is a wheat beer with yeast (unfiltered or with yeast) look on the label it may say mit hefe. Weisse is White so Weissbier is a white or very pale beer. Not too certain about the Belgian but a pretty sure wit means white.

Edit: Just in case your wondering also in German, Dunkel means dark and Doppel means double. Pretty sure thats dubbel in Belgian.

And in pidgin?

twopela = double
meri=yeast
trukai=rice/wheat/ (olsem kai)
bia=beer
spakwara=alcohol
blek=black

Did I miss any Screwy? (Numbawan wantok bilong mi) :D

If you like wheat beers, make a 100% wheat.

Mash at about 64-65 and use the usual noble hop/s to about 20-25 IBU's.

Goes down like nectar on a hot summers day.

cheers
johnno

Too true, read about it HERE

And in pidgin?

twopela = double
meri=yeast
trukai=rice/wheat/ (olsem kai)
bia=beer
spakwara=alcohol
blek=black

Did I miss any Screwy? (Numbawan wantok bilong mi) :D

Rabis, dispela pekpek bilong Batz mi no intres tumas. Ating witbia alsem lak susu bilong mami tru.

Lukim yu bihain.

Screwy

Rabis, dispela pekpek bilong Batz mi no intres tumas. Ating witbia alsem lak susu bilong mami tru.

Lukim yu bihain.

Screwy

Em nau!

Bikpela sus biliong meri blo me - meri bilong lik lik pikininni! Emi biling kwapem :D

Batz I nogut laik long em wit bia. Em got numbawan dok - nem bilong im 'Banjo'.

Tidal Pete em i nambawan man bilon kopopo. Em I laik kilim rat. :p

Likim yu bihain wantok.

Unlike Batz, I love wheat beers.

Gose (of which I have attempted to make a version) from Berlin.

Seth, it actually originated from Goslar (hence the name) not Berlin. Berlin is not really even close.

When the term 'Weissbier' was coined, it meant a beer made from wheat, which was 'white', as opposed to the 'dunkel' Barley beers (in the days when all Barley beers were dark.)

The Germans use the term 'Weissbier' much more than they would use the word 'Weizen' (and especially Hefeweizen.) These last two have been popularised by Americans.

I think a Heiferweizen has something to do with virginal female bovines.

Latest posts

Back