Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum opening my eyes I just found a beer that made me make a mess in my pants. Beez Neez really tickled my taste buds and the only reason I found it as I was reading a thread the other night and went on the search for it (sunday you can go to church OR sample good beer)

I bought some Melbourne bitter on Saturday to watch the local AFL, and it was a bit ho hum. Not my style - but I wouldnt waste it.

Now I just got 2x CUB 50 litre kegs and a 205L (44 gal) plastic drum given to me off a bloke who used to distill spirits and kept them in the keg.

Kegerator setup is next in line - any tips to point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Wisey

P.S. I come from a family of malting barley growers turn auto electrician (I F*cked up somewhere?)

i am a new convert to thewheat beer and love it. hoffbrau, hoegarden and shofferhoffer are quite nice. did enjoy the beez neez when i tried it on tap, havent had it from the bottle yet but should give it a go also. there is a brewery in SA called gulf brewery and they do an awesome wheatbeer that one of the pubs down the road from my house had on tap, enjoyed quite a few of those!

if you search the forum you should find some good recipes for kits and bits wheat beers you can try out if you are keen

cheers
carty

Hrmmm...... Thats the problem we have out here - we only get XXXX gold, Tooheys New, Tooheys Dry, VB (vomit bombs) Hanh Light on Tap here.

Seen a Hoegaarden at the bottle-o will pencil that in for next weekend :)

Are you kit, extract or grain based?

There are a few wheat based kits out there. You can also add liquid wheat malt extract (Morgans and Coopers both make it) to a base kit or dried wheat malt extract if you can find it (or both).

If you can mash (even a small amount) you can also use some malted wheat grain.

Wheat beers are usually cloudy and are ales so use an ale yeast and ferment around 18 -22.

Some wheat beers contain spices like coriander seed and orange zest.

Beez neez uses honey (obviously) so if you make a wheat beer with a fair amount of honey (many threads on the forum about when and how much) you may get something approaching this type.

To get more specific information you may need to ask some more specific questions although a lot of those may have already been answered.

Now I just got 2x CUB 50 litre kegs and a 205L (44 gal) plastic drum given to me off a bloke who used to distill spirits and kept them in the keg.

Jesus Christ, was this bloke selling the stuff???

There are a heap of good kits out there, and if you want to spend a little more coin, then there are the Fresh Wort Kits as well.

Remember with a wheat, the yeast and temperature are the keys.

If using a dry yeast, then WB06 has given me some really nice clove results, kits included.

Otherwise, a liquid is the way to go - WLP300 is really bananary and bubble gummy @ 23 degrees fermented, and a bit more clovey at 18. Either way, experiment, enjoy your results and be driven to improve.

Batz can probably add to this debate ??? :ph34r:

Fester

Hrmmm...... Thats the problem we have out here - we only get XXXX gold, Tooheys New, Tooheys Dry, VB (vomit bombs) Hanh Light on Tap here.

Seen a Hoegaarden at the bottle-o will pencil that in for next weekend :)

where are you based mate, i spent a bit of time up in central QLD lived off tooheys and XXXX for over a year. sad thing is i see more and mroe pubs in SA covered in Carlton Draught and XXXX logo's whats up with that?

anywho good luck with it all

cheers
carty

where are you based mate, i spent a bit of time up in central QLD lived off tooheys and XXXX for over a year. sad thing is i see more and mroe pubs in SA covered in Carlton Draught and XXXX logo's whats up with that?

anywho good luck with it all

cheers
carty

Im in North West NSW, Gunnedah to be precise :)

Mudgee make a wheat beer, but I am yet to taste.

Jesus Christ, was this bloke selling the stuff???

There are a heap of good kits out there, and if you want to spend a little more coin, then there are the Fresh Wort Kits as well.

Remember with a wheat, the yeast and temperature are the keys.

If using a dry yeast, then WB06 has given me some really nice clove results, kits included.

Otherwise, a liquid is the way to go - WLP300 is really bananary and bubble gummy @ 23 degrees fermented, and a bit more clovey at 18. Either way, experiment, enjoy your results and be driven to improve.

Batz can probably add to this debate ??? :ph34r:

Fester

Nah the gear was given to me, I just had to drive 40kms into the bush to pick it up off a farm.

Might wait till I have a controlled temp fermentor setup before I take on one of these. Need and old tip fridge for my brews. We use the old fridges to keep our welding rods and cutting discs out of the moisture of the air. So I dont have any spare.

I'm assuming at this stage you are doing kits.

That being the case, I'd suggest something simple like:

A commercial wheat kit, such as ESB 1.7kg. (Try to get one that's not too close to its use-by date. Freshness is critical in getting a decent result from these canned extract kits.)
500g honey.
500g light dried malt extract.

Yeast: you could use the yeast that comes with the kit, but if you can open the wallet a little wider and get yourself some US-05 you'll get a better result. Just keep the temp about 18-22c (not a hard ask at this time of year.) Leave it in the fermenter for 14 days, then bottle.

Don't expect a 'clone', but this should give you a very nice wheat beer with a nice subtle honey character.

Ill drink to that recipe Geoffi :)

Once my draught and canadian blond are outta the way my LHBS is going to get a visit ( I would nearly put money on next weekend) :)

I'm assuming at this stage you are doing kits.

That being the case, I'd suggest something simple like:

A commercial wheat kit, such as ESB 1.7kg. (Try to get one that's not too close to its use-by date. Freshness is critical in getting a decent result from these canned extract kits.)
500g honey.
500g light dried malt extract.

Yeast: you could use the yeast that comes with the kit, but if you can open the wallet a little wider and get yourself some US-05 you'll get a better result. Just keep the temp about 18-22c (not a hard ask at this time of year.) Leave it in the fermenter for 14 days, then bottle.

Don't expect a 'clone', but this should give you a very nice wheat beer with a nice subtle honey character.

did a similar recipe yesty

1 x can brewcraft bavarian wheat
500g wheat malt
500g honey
WB-06 wheat yeast

smelt good hope it tastes alright, will let ya know the results.

cheers
carty

Would like to know how it goes mate, cause im still a kit user.

Actually cheated and bought a carton of Beez Neez on the way home from work :)

Gotta get my fermentors free'd up....

Just read your recipe, how'd yours turn out Les?

but if you can open the wallet a little wider and get yourself some US-05 you'll get a better result. Just keep the temp about 18-22c (not a hard ask at this time of year.) Leave it in the fermenter for 14 days, then bottle.

+1 if you're going for Beea Neez

To me there's not much yeast flavour in Beez Neez, especially not bannana or cloves like a german Hefewizen. I tried a Beez Neez type a while ago and used WYeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen) on the forceful advice of a inner suburbs homebrew shop in adelaide. It didn't turn out too flash hot and i bleame it on the 3068. The same yeast in a German Wheat and it was awesome, loved it.

Beez Neez seems to me more of an american wheat with honey, hence the US05 suggestion.

Cheers,
Al

Just read your recipe, how'd yours turn out Les?
Wisey, the Bavarian #5 is a simple extract (partial or full volume boil) recipe which produces quite an acceptable German-style wheat beer.

I have brewed this for get-togethers, and also won a local brew comp with it.

I haven't brewed this with honey, but you could easily swap, say 1/2 kg of honey for about 0.8 kg DME, and substitute an American ale yeast or something like Wyeast W1010 (American wheat) for the German weizen yeast.

Go for it and best of luck :D

Back